Notre Dame vs Duke Thread

Yes, but who's to say that whoever was in for him, wouldn't have done more than what he did? Vasturia is okay, and deserves some time on the court, but right now, I would have Beach in more and would try Colson with Auguste and see how that would work.

Why in the world would you want to change things? This is why people hate ND fans, including other ND fans. Got a great basketball team who's winning and top-ranked? Great! Let's change something about it. Let's experiment with Colson and Auguste and then throw in VJ in there despite his embracing of his 6th man role and great contributions from off the bench.

If VJ moved without the ball as well as Vasturia and kept his spacing and defended and made crucial shots and...etc, we might not be having this conversation. Anyone remember VJ missing that layup against Duke and then missing both free-throws in the final seconds? Yeah. Vasturia would have made those...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world would you want to change things? This is why people hate ND fans, including other ND fans. Got a great basketball team who's winning and top-ranked? Great! Let's change something about it. Let's experiment with Colson and Auguste and then throw in VJ in there despite his embracing of his 6th man role and great contributions from off the bench.

If VJ moved without the ball as well as Vasturia and kept his spacing and defended and made crucial shots and...etc, we might not be having this conversation. Anyone remember VJ missing that layup against Duke and then missing both free-throws in the final seconds? Yeah. Vasturia would have made those...

Get a grip bud. We're speculating on how the team might look with other players. No harm no foul.

Don't fix what's broken....I get it....but it doesn't hurt to speculate. I can see you feel pretty strongly about this but I do think experimenting with Colson and Auguste could pay dividends down the road. If they get into the tourney and struggle with 2 bigs, Colson has shown he has quick enough feet to move with them and get his hands up. It wouldn't hurt to put them on the court together for a few minutes and see how it looks.

Speaking of unproven hypotheticals, what guarantees a 47% shooter that went 1-5 in a game would make a lay up against a much more athletic defender when a more athletic 47% shooter that only missed 1 shot (that layup) in the game couldn't do it?

We get it. You have a man-crush on Vasturia and Brey has never made a wrong coaching decision in his life. Why on earth would we ever question Brey? Maybe because it is is a fan meassage board whose front page statement is "the place for intelligent Notre Dame discussion"? That would include open discussion of speculation, conjecture, what-ifs, etc. That is part of what makes being a fan fun...at least until a moderator comes in and tries to question the fanhood of everyone that doesn't agree with him.

Without Vasturia, ND probably would have lost two out of the last three games. He's had key plays in each one. Plays that put ND over the top. From a key defensive stop and rebound, to a huge running hook shot against a bigger defender, to a quick layup off the glass resulting in a goaltending call and two points for ND, to a huge baseline three-pointer against Duke, all but sealing the game. Without Vasturia contributing those key plays, ND likely loses a couple of them. He's a key contributor for ND and his contributions clearly outweigh his downside.

Not mention he hit 2 key FTs against Duke as well.

I like the idea of Colson and Auguste playing together. Have a bigger lineup at times, and it will give teams something else to plan for. With that said, Vasturia is a key contributor to this team. Without him, this team would have a worse record. I think most of us would agree on that. He brings a lot to the game that goes unnoticed.

I like the idea of Colson and Auguste playing together. Have a bigger lineup at times, and it will give teams something else to plan for. With that said, Vasturia is a key contributor to this team. Without him, this team would have a worse record. I think most of us would agree on that. He brings a lot to the game that goes unnoticed.

Agreed to both.

Anyone complaining about Vasturia's playing time doesn't understand the game of basketball. He's a phenomenal defender - his footwork is perfect and he's never out of position coming off of screens. His off the ball movement on offense is pretty staggering. He maintains floor spacing, has excellent handling and passing. And he's content to be the 5th option on offense, when he could very easily be higher in the pecking order. VJ only warrants about the 20 minutes per game he gets - he isn't even 3/4 of the player Vasturia is at this point in his career. You'll all see next year when Grant and PC are gone. Vasturia will become the #2 or 3 option on the offense and prolly average about 13-14 points a game.

Anyone complaining about Vasturia's playing time doesn't understand the game of basketball. He's a phenomenal defender - his footwork is perfect and he's never out of position coming off of screens. His off the ball movement on offense is pretty staggering. He maintains floor spacing, has excellent handling and passing. And he's content to be the 5th option on offense, when he could very easily be higher in the pecking order. VJ only warrants about the 20 minutes per game he gets - he isn't even 3/4 of the player Vasturia is at this point in his career. You'll all see next year when Grant and PC are gone. Vasturia will become the #2 or 3 option on the offense and prolly average about 13-14 points a game.

Looking forward to next year's lineup, it should be very interesting. Most would expect a huge drop losing PC and Grant, but they could be really intriguing team. Return 3 starters (Auguste, Jackson, Vasturia), and probably add Beachem and Colson to the starting lineup. Geben should be much improved and Torres (with his grittiness) should see a lot more minutes. Not to mention the freshman coming in. Ryan and Rex could both be contributors as freshman. Fingers crossed that they can land Swanigan, as he would probably be inserted into the starting lineup without hesitation, but I think they are late to the game on him.

It will be a bigger lineup next year, but they will still have 3-5 great shooters, and a better presence down low. Possibly more quality depth as well.

Wow, this discussion is really bringing out some strong opinions. I'll go ahead and say this comment isn't really needed either. We all agree that Vasturia has some strengths and has definitely helped the team, but it doesn't hurt to discuss other players' strengths and how they might be able to help the team either.

Sorry for the strong language, but the complaints I see about Vasturia leave me scratching my head thinking I'm watching a different game entirely. Some in this thread have complained about his defense, yet outside of Jackson he's the best defender on the team without question. He is also the most fundamentally sound player with an incredible basketball IQ who understands both spacing in Brey's offense and is content to play his role - namely you won't be featured, but make it count when you are.

I expect Matt Carroll level of play out of him the next two years. And if he continues on his current trajectory, I have little doubt that he'll have a Matt Carroll type career in the NBA.

Wow, this discussion is really bringing out some strong opinions. I'll go ahead and say this comment isn't really needed either. We all agree that Vasturia has some strengths and has definitely helped the team, but it doesn't hurt to discuss other players' strengths and how they might be able to help the team either.

I think you need to relax a little. Nobody's becoming enraged in this thread, just stating their opinions.

Ha. I love it. Made me bust out laughing at work. I'll stand by it. He's going to be a good solid player for us for his career.

There is no doubt that Vasturia will be solid. He is a very solid defender and he can shoot. Don't judge him by one game. One thing I notice is how players develop under Brey. Look at Jackson from last year. Look at Auguste from last year. Heck, Grant continues to get better every year as does Connaughton.

Vasturia will take it up a notch next year and I see him scoring at about 12-14 points a game. He will be clutch at the free throw line and will get 4-5 rebounds a game. Just the natural progression when playing under Brey.

Now if Geben starts producing big I will call Brey a miracle worker, but remember Cooley when you first saw him??? He was a snail!!! A slow plodder and not good at anything.

This team is so fun to watch. Vasturia is an important piece. I'm loving the production of Bonzie. He can shoot from 12 feet with great consistency. If Auguste could do that he would be unstoppable.

Originally Posted by irishrb View Post

I think you need to relax a little. Nobody's becoming enraged in this thread, just stating their opinions.

Hello, I think that's exactly what I said...opinions..I never said anyone was becoming enraged.

Originally Posted by irishrb View Post

Hello, I think that's exactly what I said...opinions..I never said anyone was becoming enraged.

Well I don't think "your comment is needed."