ND Basketball...

We actually didn't look too bad last night. PC is definitely a star. I hope he comes back instead of going in the MLB draft.

I think those 4 young guys you mentioned are key for next year - how much can they progress the rest of the season and then carry it into next year.

It is too late for recruiting for next year, right? It would be nice to bring in someone else to replace CB.

Edited by irishrush

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We actually didn't look too bad last night. PC is definitely a star. I hope he comes back instead of going in the MLB draft.

I think those 4 young guys you mentioned are key for next year - how much can they progress the rest of the season and then carry it into next year.

It is too late for recruiting for next year, right? It would be nice to bring in someone else to replace CB.

Sounds like Brey and ND are going to explore the transfer route this summer.

I see them getting back to the NCAA tournament next year. The key is developing these young guys like Beachem, Vasturia, Auguste and Jackson. Auguste slowly gets better and will be the starting center net year. He has a lot more to work with than did Jack Cooley. Brey will do wonders with him with his back to the basket. Saw a very good and quick spin move for a score tonight.

Beachem is key. He must get bigger and stronger in the off season. He is 6' 8'' and must rebound next year. Vasturia is getting valuable pt. It should pay off. Jackson?? 5 stars??? Don't see it. Hope I see it next year.

Connaughton is a star and will be our leader next year with Grant. Grant's return is huge. We lose that height in Sherman and Knight, but they have been so inconsistent. Maybe Katenda ends up being a player. NIT is essential. Keep playing. Keep developing. Brey will survive. Bank on it.

Right now he is playing out of position. Watch him when Atkins is out and he is running the show. (I know you can't blink.) I have seen it a couple times this year. He is a totally different player. He was in command and much more aggressive. I for one would love to see him take over this team at the point right now. I've seen enough of Atkins.

As for Grant we will see. Not a huge Grant fan. All in all I don't see next year's team much better than this one.

Connaughton coming back is key for next year. Backcourt should be a good one with Grant and Jackson next year. I think Brey will be coaching for his job next season. 2 years not making the tourney won't cut it.

No way. As much as I would love to see him go, he has a long leash. I think he is here as long as he wants to be.:( Basketball is not like football at ND. He has been successful in the regular season. He graduates his players. He is going no where. Swarbrick sees him as a perfect fit for ND.

• 2 weeks later...

My boys and I really enjoy basketball....playing and watching the Irish. We just finished our seasons and I am convinced either of my boys' teams could give them a run for their money....Obviously joking but this is seriously one of the most disappointing seasons I can remember in a while. Hopefully they don't get embarrassed in the second half here and keep it close!

Brey can coach...flat out prepare a team.

But I don't think he can recruit...or he is just restricted at ND. Not sure which one.

He'll be around a while...wins 20 plus...loose in 2nd round will be his norm.

It will be back to normal next year and some day they will make a run in the ncaa. Grant comes back, Connaughton is a star, Auguste is progressing and should be able to average double digits and 8/9 rebounds next year. Vasturia can play. He is only a freshman but has a nice shot and like to be aggressive towards the hoop. He makes a lot of freshman mistakes like turning the ball over but that will surely get better. Jackson will run the show and do pretty good. Recruiting class doesn't excite me, but Brey will win with them.

Brey can coach...flat out prepare a team.

But I don't think he can recruit...or he is just restricted at ND. Not sure which one.

He'll be around a while...wins 20 plus...loose in 2nd round will be his norm.

I think it's really tough to recruit top talent at ND. First, look at our conference affiliation (first the Big East and now the ACC): we are recruiting against the absolute cream of the crop in college basketball. We're never going to attract the talent that Syracuse, Duke, UNC, et al, can recruit.

Second, our academic standards again hurt us. If you think they hurt us in football -- where we are far more likely to cut corners -- just imagine the difficulty that Brey has with trying to get marginally-qualified athletes past Admissions. It must be dang near impossible.

Third, if you're looking to go to the NBA, ND runs ostensibly the worst offense imaginable for achieving your goal. We play basketball like Gene Hackman in "Hoosiers" -- very team oriented, little to no isolation, and certainly nothing flashy. If you're a kid who is looking to go one-and-done or two years at the most, you're not going to be in a system in ND that allows you to showboat.

I think it's really tough to recruit top talent at ND. First, look at our conference affiliation (first the Big East and now the ACC): we are recruiting against the absolute cream of the crop in college basketball. We're never going to attract the talent that Syracuse, Duke, UNC, et al, can recruit.

Second, our academic standards again hurt us. If you think they hurt us in football -- where we are far more likely to cut corners -- just imagine the difficulty that Brey has with trying to get marginally-qualified athletes past Admissions. It must be dang near impossible.

Third, if you're looking to go to the NBA, ND runs ostensibly the worst offense imaginable for achieving your goal. We play basketball like Gene Hackman in "Hoosiers" -- very team oriented, little to no isolation, and certainly nothing flashy. If you're a kid who is looking to go one-and-done or two years at the most, you're not going to be in a system in ND that allows you to showboat.

Wow... Doesn't bode well for us. Can we bring Digger back?

Wow... Doesn't bode well for us. Can we bring Digger back?

Wow! Bring back Digger? We couldn't wait to be rid of him... Little did we know we would have to suffer/slog through years of mediocrity to get to where we are today. I guess since the program doesn't generate revenue (don't know this for fact), as long as it is not a rampant embarrassment, it is tolerable.

I have season tickets behind the ND bench and have had since 1968.

Brey needs to be fired. His recruiting is awful. His teams do not play defense. Often his players regress in their careers.

We lost to North Dakota State and Indiana State, which is about where our program is right now. Next year will be worse. He's got no big men.

The students and the public know we suck, which is why the arena is half empty.

Pull the trigger now. Fire him.

Wow! Bring back Digger? We couldn't wait to be rid of him... Little did we know we would have to suffer/slog through years of mediocrity to get to where we are today. I guess since the program doesn't generate revenue (don't know this for fact), as long as it is not a rampant embarrassment, it is tolerable.

Got to say I don't remember the sentiment to get rid of Digger that you do Bubba