Watership Down by Richard Adams

Animal Farm by George Orwell

I am America.. And So Can You by Stephen Colbert

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card

Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Anything by H.P. Lovecraft (Greatest American horror writer)

and finally The Manifesto of the Communist Party by Karl Marx.... j/k, or am I

edit: thought of a few more

Farewell to the Master by Harry Bates

The Third Policeman by Brian O'Nolan

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce

"Watchmen" and "V for Vendetta" by Alan Moore (technically graphic novels but they are amazing, even if Alan Moore has lost his damn mind)

Edited by red8

NO EXCUSES, CHARLES WEIS

but seriously. Any Carl Hiaasen book

Youth in revolt, C.D. Payne

hahahaha..............i was gonna say that tenacious, but i didn't think people would find it funny.........btw, i read that, and i think my thirteen yr. old has better writing skills than the guy charlie hired to help him........

I implore everyone who loves the look of the grass at the stadium as you come out of the tunnel to read W.P. Kinsella's "The Thrill Of The Grass." It's a short story about a baseball strike where fans secretly rip out the artifical turf of their local pro ball park and each night they have to return with a friend who donates a piece of sod to the project. Well crafted...

Kinsella wrote "Shoeless Joe" which was made into the movie "Field Of Dreams." A great Canadian author whom I have always loved. Like Stephen King, he was hit by a car while walking and has now been forced into "unintentional retirement" due to a brain injury.

Had gotten away from reading for awhile but just got Nelson DeMille's The Lion. I loved everyone before it including Nightfall, The Lion's Game, and Wildfire. John Corey is the main character and he is a cop and anti authority turned anti-terrorism task force. His novels have it all. I promise you you won't regret reading them.

I'm taking notes. There is nothing like a good book! Fantatic yours is up next after I finish the one Sligo gave me The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It is written as correspondence between a few characters during the German occupation of the island of Guernsey. Just a fun read.

I recently got the Kindle and thought I would miss my books but I really love how I can download a book in moments so I'm onto the next adventure and I can make the print larger since my eyes aren't as young as they once were.

Anyway thanks for the responses!

Guest Julie

My Kindle is the one device I can't live without -- including the entire Apple i-Lineup (Pod, Phone, Pad). I read more on my Kindle than I ever did with paper books. I'm still using the 1st Gen, but am considering an upgrade now that the prices have dropped all the way to $139... That's a steal!

Guest Julie

The native Kindle format is .azw, and it can also handle .txt files without any problems. Other stuff has to be converted first. You can either do it yourself with a program such as Calibre or Stanza, or use the Amazon conversion where you email the file to them, they convert it, and send it back to you (an automated process). I've been reading on a Kindle for 2+ years and haven't had any trouble getting the book I want onto the device, even if I don't go through the Amazon store. (I don't deal with a lot of PDFs, though, which I think is a problem for the regular Kindle).

Anyway, to get this thread back on track, here are a few more book recommendations:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Edited by Julie

The native Kindle format is .azw, and it can also handle .txt files without any problems. Other stuff has to be converted first. You can either do it yourself with a program such as Calibre or Stanza, or use the Amazon conversion where you email the file to them, they convert it, and send it back to you (an automated process). I've been reading on a Kindle for 2+ years and haven't had any trouble getting the book I want onto the device, even if I don't go through the Amazon store. (I don't deal with a lot of PDFs, though, which I think is a problem for the regular Kindle).

Anyway, to get this thread back on track, here are a few more book recommendations:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Scarecrow by Michael Connelly

Columbine by Dave Cullen

excellent choices.............

• 4 weeks later...
I'll suggest, Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (of Jonathan Livingston Seagull fame).

Just a short little 2-3 day read, its a story about a Messiah (insert name)that wants to quit, but can't until he finds his replacement. The plot revolves around two barnstorming pilots in the midwest, the messiah and his replacement.

Its not written with any religious bias so your religious affiliation shouldn't stop you from enjoying the book. I've probably read it 15 times over the last 25 years - it gives me a little different perspective on everyday life.

LOVED it!!

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. Inspiring

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Just well written

+1 regarding Follett. I just finished "Eye of the Needle". It was a great read.

If you have not had the chance to read Jeffery Deaver, his Lincoln Rhyme crime novels are top notch...Start with this:

http://www.jefferydeaver.com/Novels_/The_Bone_Collector/the_bone_collector.html