Recommended Reading....

Game of Thrones books by George Martin. There are 5 of them now each about 1,000 pages. Kind of like an X-rated Lord of the Rings or a King Arthur's court from hell.

Dragons, zombies, wolves, giants, rapes, throat slitting, fireswords, sorcery, profanity, incest, death and more death. Oh and everybody drinks wine like there's no tomorrow. I think that explains much of the bad behavior.

I heard it was a series on HBO and saw a blurb on Yahoo about the upcoming season. Being a person who likes Sci-Fi/Fantasy I Wiki'ed the series. I think I will be requesting the books for upcoming B-Day and Christmas gifts.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who loved the Band of Brothers mini-series, which I didn't know was also a book and will have to get soon. Dick Winters wrote another book called Beyond Band of Brothers, where he goes back into many of his experiences and memories in Easy Company. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through and have been really getting into it.

I heard it was a series on HBO and saw a blurb on Yahoo about the upcoming season. Being a person who likes Sci-Fi/Fantasy I Wiki'ed the series. I think I will be requesting the books for upcoming B-Day and Christmas gifts.

The WalmRt by me has the first four books in a box set for $25. Might check if you have one by you.

"Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" (Christopher Moore) - The birth of Jesus has been well chronicled, as have his glorious teachings, acts, and divine sacrifice after his thirtieth birthday. But no one knows about the early life of the Son of God, the missing years -- except Biff, the Messiah's best bud, who has been resurrected to tell the story in the divinely hilarious yet heartfelt work "reminiscent of Vonnegut and Douglas Adams" (Philadelphia Inquirer).

"Shanks for Nothing" (Rick Reilly) - If you like golf, this book is hilariously awesome. If you don't like golf, this book is hilariously awesome!

• 6 months later...

life of pi - yann martel... well written and thought the ending was brilliant

and if you like nelson demille, the panther was excellent too

since I'm in the mood for something light, I'm going to download bubba's suggestion shanks for nothing

Edited by IrishNYgirl

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I will just recommend some Historical fiction. Lets just say it is nice to have a little sugar to make the history go down.

Ken Follett and his Pillars of the Earth. Some also recommend his Fallen Giants series as well.

John Jakes and the Kent Chronicles are easy reads that take you through American history. It is not great literature. It is just fun reading and you get a lot of history in the process.

Bernard Cornwell takes you through English History with his Arthur series, his Saxon Series and his Holy Grail one.

Herman Wouks WWII books like War and Remembrance.

Shiarra's Killer Angles (Civil War).

Again, these are fun reads instead of modern classics type of stuff.

I thought I would add a book with literary merit that has great characters, great issues and a great story. Plus, I wanted to see if I could include an image. I am a bit of a luddhite in that regard.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NNTa1ezyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife does this whole work-out thing with other moms during the week. They have an instructor who's husband has recently had a book published. I have yet to read it, but I plan to soon.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512g%2BlgIckL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for resurrecting this.

It is a great book. So was Seabiscuit.

I will add the author Geraldine Brooks. She wrote two that I read. The Year of Wonder and Caleb's Crossing I think was the name of the other. Good literature (she has a Pulitzer) but the books flow and are not dense.

• 3 weeks later...

The Shack is a great read if you are a Christian (As I am)

The Alchemist by Paul Coelho

Candide by Voltaire if you are looking for a laugh

Shogun and Tai-Pan by Clavell (There are a lot of books in the series, these are my two favorites)

I enjoyed Under the Dome - Stephen King, Miniseries not so much

I read Henderson the Rain King and simply did not get it. If anyone can explain it to me please do. My English professor at the time told me it was supposed to have some uplifting message about renewal, but I just didn't see it.

If you enjoy good old fashioned American literature:

The Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row and Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck are stellar, didn't care for Tortilla Flats.

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson

All good reads

• 4 months later...

"Resurrection: The Miracle Season That Saved Notre Dame" - Jim Dent

Great book. I hope it is the last book written about Notre Dame being underdog. ;)

Could you recommend other great, worth reading books about Notre Dame football or football in general?

• 3 months later...
i loved the dark tower series......................stephen king

Schell, loves those too. Just found the Gunslinger comics by Marvel. Pretty cool. Feel funny being a 37 year old reading comics, but it adds another level to the story.