Incoming Player Transfers (2023-24)

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

The transfer portal rankings are interesting to say the least. A lot of them still consider their HS ranking if they are freshmen, it is just very VERY VERY subjective. Also, quantity over quality is the name of the game. ND only got 8, but they got one of the top 3 QBs in the portal, one of the best pass rushers, and one of the best kickers in the portal. ND got two quality WRs (I believe the 3rd is mostly for KR purposes), and got quality backs that were great players at their "3rd tier" schools. They filled their needs with quality players.

Well said.

Loy came out and said it’s widely expected Keon Keeley is transferring (not surprising) and that Freeman and ND are expected to kick those tires seriously.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Well said.

Loy came out and said it’s widely expected Keon Keeley is transferring (not surprising) and that Freeman and ND are expected to kick those tires seriously.

I won't hold out hope, but that would be pretty sweet.

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

I had always heard that Keeley didn't go to Ala for money or NIL.  It was strictly a decision based on his belief that he would be better developed there.  Assuming that he goes thru with the transfer, I would think it will be up to Freeman, Golden and Washington to convince him that he will reach his potential at ND.  It's always been my opinion that players with his talent level will reach their potential no matter which team they play for, in most cases.

• Flames 1

On 1/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, FaithInIrish Forever said:

I've watched a good bit 3 or 4 defensive series and the comparison I get is DJ Brown. Heard wasn't dominant in what I've seen but he did his job and was always around the ball when the tackle was made.

A buddy who played at NU was really impressed with Hurd and thinks he' better than Joseph.  Supposed to be a big thumper

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, D Fence said:

A buddy who played at NU was really impressed with Hurd and thinks he' better than Joseph.  Supposed to be a big thumper

Good, because Joseph was a pretty big let down, but maybe it was because of the expectations everyone placed on him. He was slated to be the next Hamilton and be a day 1-2 NFL draft pick at safety. I think with Heard, the expectations are much more realistic in that he will be a quality depth piece to go with Watts while Shuler/Minich continue to develop.

• Flames 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39328250/sources-star-alabama-safety-caleb-downs-enters-portal

Caleb Downs had ND in his final selections. What a dream it would be to get him! Some school is going to get one of the nations top Safeties for 2 years!

with Georgia hiring half of Alabama‘s staff, it seems like that would be the most likely destination.

Good grief.  I have no clue how a head coach is supposed to manage this portal stuff.  Are Keeley and Downs even eligible to come to ND?  I didn't think ND would take anyone other than a graduate transfer or maybe a senior.   And suppose ND would actually take either of these two.  How on earth is a coach going to manage the roster?  "Hey dude, sorry we told you you would be able to play next year, but we've got to make room for these two guys.  Good luck as you move on with your life!"

1 hour ago, 97domer said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39328250/sources-star-alabama-safety-caleb-downs-enters-portal

Caleb Downs had ND in his final selections. What a dream it would be to get him! Some school is going to get one of the nations top Safeties for 2 years!

with Georgia hiring half of Alabama‘s staff, it seems like that would be the most likely destination.

Agreed. Seems like he will end up at UGA. Maybe OSU. But it seems like those are the only two schools in play.

Alabama also just lost another 5-star true freshman starter in OT Kaydn Proctor. Sounds like he is going to Iowa (hometown school).

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

Good grief.  I have no clue how a head coach is supposed to manage this portal stuff.  Are Keeley and Downs even eligible to come to ND?  I didn't think ND would take anyone other than a graduate transfer or maybe a senior.   And suppose ND would actually take either of these two.  How on earth is a coach going to manage the roster?  "Hey dude, sorry we told you you would be able to play next year, but we've got to make room for these two guys.  Good luck as you move on with your life!"

I thought I read somewhere that taking a student with 1 year is easier than someone as a Soph or Junior level.  That is as a frosh you are taking intro courses etc in college, but once a major is declared the differences between ND and another school varies a lot more.  I dunno.

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Agreed. Seems like he will end up at UGA. Maybe OSU. But it seems like those are the only two schools in play.

Alabama also just lost another 5-star true freshman starter in OT Kaydn Proctor. Sounds like he is going to Iowa (hometown school).

Funny about Proctor.  I spoke to his aunt last winter I think it was and she said Iowa actually offered more NIL than Bama, and I heard he really wanted to go to Iowa but mom got involved.  He was allegedly high on ND early on as was his teammate Nwankpa who did go to Iowa.

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

I thought I read somewhere that taking a student with 1 year is easier than someone as a Soph or Junior level.  That is as a frosh you are taking intro courses etc in college, but once a major is declared the differences between ND and another school varies a lot more.  I dunno.

Correct, because the first year basic classes can often fill electives and they havent gotten into their core yet. From what the pods say, grad transfer or after fresh year are the easiest. 

Also, Beaux isnt a grad either

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Synoptico said:

Correct, because the first year basic classes can often fill electives and they havent gotten into their core yet. From what the pods say, grad transfer or after fresh year are the easiest. 

Also, Beaux isnt a grad either

I thought Collins graduated this December from Clemson? To my knowledge, Leonard is the only non-grad transfer - and ND had to make a major exception for him since he spent three years at Duke. ND doesn't allow any transfers after second semester sophomore year.

• Heart 1

Caleb Downs will probably go to either UGA or OSU (my pick is UGA)
Proctor will go to Iowa

If Keeley enters the portal (so far, the rumors are exclusively coming from fan speculation), it would be up in the air, but remember, ND was not his #2-3 pick by the end of things. I wouldn't get my hopes super high, but after being in college for a year, maybe his priorities change, men that age change quite a bit.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

Beaux Collins and Heard Jr are fall enrollees so they can finish their degrees online from Clemson and Northwestern.

Similiar to Freshman recruits, transfers can choose when to enroll. Leonard conversely chose to enroll and probably finish at Duke later. Source is Eric Hansen on this.

• Heart 3
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

Beaux Collins and Heard Jr are fall enrollees so they can finish their degrees online from Clemson and Northwestern.

Similiar to Freshman recruits, transfers can choose when to enroll. Leonard conversely chose to enroll and probably finish at Duke later. Source is Eric Hansen on this.

Thanks, Faith. Good info. That's a little surprising on Collins and Heard because I figured there was some rule that a student-athlete had to be enrolled in the school to participate in athletics. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, tneun89 said:

Thanks, Faith. Good info. That's a little surprising on Collins and Heard because I figured there was some rule that a student-athlete had to be enrolled in the school to participate in athletics. 

To play in games of course but the only thing I can add is CJ Carr participating in Sun Bowl practices prior to his enrollment this week. 

1 minute ago, tneun89 said:

they can watch spring practice but not practice. They can workout but workout seperately from the team. Collins can throw with the QBs on his own time but both are not part of team activities until they enroll

• Heart 3

• 1 month later...