Incoming Player Transfers (2023-24)

So what transfers left to snag

OL?

QB (if 1 or two leave in the spring as a backup?)

TE (would love the Stanford TE)

S

Also assume there will be more exiting attrition post spring ball/graduation

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, Synoptico said:

So what transfers left to snag

OL?

QB (if 1 or two leave in the spring as a backup?)

TE (would love the Stanford TE)

S

Also assume there will be more exiting attrition post spring ball/graduation

I think an OT if one becomes available. I doubt they'd grab another QB, even if one of Angeli/Minchey leave after spring because they'd still have three scholarship QBs on the roster. I would grab a TE given the injury history of the current room - not sure if the Stanford TE (Ben Yurosek) is in play or not. I think they definitely need a safety, and it sounds like Rod Heard (Northwestern transfer) is down to ND/Michigan and could decide soon.

There will be plenty of attrition post-spring. I would bet that ND loses 5-7 players after spring ball.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2

12 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Looks like Rod Heard has committed

image.png.70e78731998c4f6ee3b86c9e32961b05.png

Great pickup. He played Nickel at NW. Guessing he will battle Jordan Clark for that spot at ND, or he could possible play safety next to Watts.

• Heart 2

Just now, tneun89 said:

Great pickup. He played Nickel at NW. Guessing he will battle Jordan Clark for that spot at ND, or he could possible play safety next to Watts.

From what I read, they think he is a better fit at safety

26 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

image.png

Sorry, let me clarify, im not saying he is the depth. 

Just not all players turn out and its best to have higher numbers. Look at what the expectations were for Carter from Rhode Island. Ended up doing nothing. not all will hit and its a numbers game. 

• Flames 1

Just now, Synoptico said:

Sorry, let me clarify, im not saying he is the depth. 

Just not all players turn out and its best to have higher numbers. Look at what the expectations were for Carter from Rhode Island. Ended up doing nothing. not all will hit and its a numbers game. 

I was just agreeing.

image.png

Looks better at true safety guys. He's at the 20 in the middle here. I agree with that tweet @Baldy

have it cued up here. Thanks for the youtube clip knowledge @Mike

• Trophy 1
  • Cheers 2

Looking at on3 and their top 200 player ranking in the transfer portal, here's now ND stands with players coming in and players leaving:

Incoming:    Riley Leonard 7; RJ Oben 50; Kris Mitchell 73; Rod Heard 99, Beaux Collins 171

Leaving:   Rico Flores 51; Chris Tyree 80; Holden Staes 132; Tobias Merriweather 190

It's all subjective of course, but from the on3 perspective, seems like ND is getting more from than it's losing to the portal.

And, I do believe the portal will bring proven players, rather than relying on unproven high school talent.

I also believe the portal may be the biggest reason Saban retired.

• Flames 1

27 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Looking at on3 and their top 200 player ranking in the transfer portal, here's now ND stands with players coming in and players leaving:

Incoming:    Riley Leonard 7; RJ Oben 50; Kris Mitchell 73; Rod Heard 99, Beaux Collins 171

Leaving:   Rico Flores 51; Chris Tyree 80; Holden Staes 132; Tobias Merriweather 190

It's all subjective of course, but from the on3 perspective, seems like ND is getting more from than it's losing to the portal.

And, I do believe the portal will bring proven players, rather than relying on unproven high school talent.

I also believe the portal may be the biggest reason Saban retired.

Totally agree on this especially the Saban comment

I think Nick Saban retiring reasons are:

1a transfer portal

1b NIL

1c he’s older now, deserves to take it easier and is fed up with what is happening in college football today.

In no particular order. 

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, jimbo said:

I think Nick Saban retiring reasons are:

1a transfer portal

1b NIL

1c he’s older now, deserves to take it easier and is fed up with what is happening in college football today.

In no particular order. 

2). He has all the money he’s going to need, and doesn’t need stress

• Cheers 1

The transfer portal rankings are interesting to say the least. A lot of them still consider their HS ranking if they are freshmen, it is just very VERY VERY subjective. Also, quantity over quality is the name of the game. ND only got 8, but they got one of the top 3 QBs in the portal, one of the best pass rushers, and one of the best kickers in the portal. ND got two quality WRs (I believe the 3rd is mostly for KR purposes), and got quality backs that were great players at their "3rd tier" schools. They filled their needs with quality players.

• Heart 2