Lorenzo Styles transfers to Ohio State

Styles  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Styles: WR or DB?

• WR
    • DB

ND FOOTBALL: Wide receivers 'confident' despite lack of depth | Sports |  goshennews.com

I remember when Bennett Jackson had trouble catching the ball. I remember when Cam Hart had trouble catching the ball too. What do they have in common? Notre Dame Defensive Back position switches. I think they both started. Russell was a running back. Also started at DB.

I'm going to say Styles needs a switch, what say you?

• Heart 1

I went with DB. The hands just don't seem to be there for some reason (overthinking, yips, idk). It sounds like he was highly-regarded as a DB recruit coming out of high school, too.

It might be a tough transition, but it would speak to a great job by the staff to turn around that WR room in one year. It would also speak highly of the player to be willing to make the move.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

ND FOOTBALL: Wide receivers 'confident' despite lack of depth | Sports |  goshennews.com

I remember when Bennett Jackson had trouble catching the ball. I remember when Cam Hart had trouble catching the ball too. What do they have in common? Notre Dame Defensive Back position switches. I think they both started. Russell was a running back. Also started at DB.

I'm going to say Styles needs a switch, what say you?

I like the comparison because Jackson and Hart were tremendous athletes, like Styles. But I think a major difference is CB was a position of need when those switches were made - IIRC, Jackson switched and almost immediately became a starter. Same with Hart. If Styles transitions over, he will be 5th or 6th on the depth chart, at best. If he stays at WR, he will get many more snaps and have a great chance to make an impact. I know he had a tough sophomore season, but I really hope he can bounce back with more focus and better QB play. I think a move to CB would all but assure his transfer out of ND, and I still go back to the second half of his freshman season when he was a difference maker at WR.

• Heart 1

What's he want to do?  If his heart is in the move and he puts in the time to succeed...

I got switched my Junior year of college from #2 on the team with sacks and a lot of PT, and was asked to move to C/G on OL because we were short.  Needless to say my heart was not in the move and hated riding the pine.  I focused on solely on wrestling as a senior and dropped football because of it.

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

What's he want to do?  If his heart is in the move and he puts in the time to succeed...

I got switched my Junior year of college from #2 on the team with sacks and a lot of PT, and was asked to move to C/G on OL because we were short.  Needless to say my heart was not in the move and hated riding the pine.  I focused on solely on wrestling as a senior and dropped football because of it.

It sounds like Styles will get the final say so that is good.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Bold prediction: Styles is good enough to play man to man in nickle by end of fall camp.

Should I one up you and say he can supplant Hart? Hart has all the tools... long arms, athleticism, height and ball skills. Cam Hart just hasn't put it all together. He had the one game at Wisconsin but has been hampered by injuries and misses way too many tackles. Just so we're clear, I think Hart starts opposite Morrison, but he no question needs to be more physical out there.

Realistically, there is a battle at nickel between Harper, Mickey, Barnes, the freshmen and Styles. At the least, this gives us the flexibility to be in nickel and dime a little more. I'm not sure how the freshmen have looked, but Mickey improved as the year went on and flashed a few times, especially in the bowl game. Ultimately I think this could be a battle between Mickey and Styles. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ndomer4 said:

Should I one up you and say he can supplant Hart? Hart has all the tools... long arms, athleticism, height and ball skills. Cam Hart just hasn't put it all together. He had the one game at Wisconsin but has been hampered by injuries and misses way too many tackles. Just so we're clear, I think Hart starts opposite Morrison, but he no question needs to be more physical out there.

Realistically, there is a battle at nickel between Harper, Mickey, Barnes, the freshmen and Styles. At the least, this gives us the flexibility to be in nickel and dime a little more. I'm not sure how the freshmen have looked, but Mickey improved as the year went on and flashed a few times, especially in the bowl game. Ultimately I think this could be a battle between Mickey and Styles. 

I always thought cam be a good safety so that would help numbers

I believe some schools were recruiting Styles as a DB out of HS. That being the case, the transition for him from WR to DB shouldn’t be overly difficult. I think he will stick at DB, but that’s just a WAG.

• Heart 1

I wonder if Styles would be willing to play only 4 games this year as a CB so he could redshirt and have two more years. That is dependent upon where he is in the depth chart but it might make sense from a potential NFL perspective (if he wants to switch to CB).

DB, and that’s a 180 from my thoughts even a couple weeks ago.

He seems to be embracing the move, which is 90% of it. He’s such an incredible athlete and was highly rated as a DB coming out of high school. I really think he can be a top notch contributor. 

Just now, ndomer4 said:

Let’s call it how it is… this guy was passed by Colzie, Merriweather, Thomas, Tyree and the freshmen. I think this speaks to how good the freshmen receivers have been and he might have seen the writing on the wall. 

The switch to DB may have been a last ditch effort to give him a shot at some playing time. 

agree 100 percent.

• Heart 1

He should have been at DB from the time he hit campus, but ND had an extreme shortage at WR, which was a dire position of need until the freshmen class arrived early. Clearly, his best ball is ahead of him at DB, not WR. I will bet my bottom dollar that we will learn very quickly that he is going to Ohio State to play DB where his brother is and where his father starred. Of course, he can give the Bucknuts a rather extensive report on how the ND offense and defense operates. The portal is sometimes like grabbing a spy to pump for nfo on your upcoming opponent.

16 hours ago, Jersey Irish said:

He should have been at DB from the time he hit campus, but ND had an extreme shortage at WR, which was a dire position of need until the freshmen class arrived early. Clearly, his best ball is ahead of him at DB, not WR. I will bet my bottom dollar that we will learn very quickly that he is going to Ohio State to play DB where his brother is and where his father starred. Of course, he can give the Bucknuts a rather extensive report on how the ND offense and defense operates. The portal is sometimes like grabbing a spy to pump for nfo on your upcoming opponent.

He wouldnt have come to ND if they recruited him as a DB. Thats partly why he came to ND is other schools recruited him as a DB and he wanted WR