Transfer Portal?

I'll take a stab.  I think mainly its due to ND policies.  That is academically we cannot or will not take just anyone if their academics are not in order or to the satisfaction of Admissions.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the last underclassmen we took prior to the unfettered transfer portal, was Amir Carlyle(sp).

As a whole we just don't take transfers very often.  Prior to the portal, aka 5th years, you had to have degree in hand and working towards a declared Masters program.  Still believe this is in effect for ND guys who wish to stay beyond 4th year eligibility.  Look at the guys we've had come in recently as transfers, upperclassmen with a year maybe two to play, degree in hand, and from similar academic minded schools.  We got 2 Harvard guys and Northwestern this season off the top of my head. 

I don't see that changing in the future.  From a pure football decision who wouldn't want to transfer into ND with the bright lights, big stage potential.  But we will not be able to secure as many due to academic challenges where the university is gatekeepers.  I don't see ND bending on this issue, allowing entrance unfiltered to FB mercenaries, right or wrong.  We can get transfers who are properly lined up with the university's mission, but like HS recruiting it is limited on the numbers who qualify.  After that it a litany of selling them on the idea I suppose, ie opportunity, PT, ND degree, etc.

• Heart 1

NDs transfer targets are going to be ND recruiting targets that end up unhappy elsewhere. Otherwise, NW, Stanford, etc…

I think it will get better under Freeman. I just think he is better at building relationships with these kids and it will pay dividends in the next four or five years. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

Is anyone else wondering why we are seemingly the only team not utilizing this? QB? WR? OL? Not one player? 

It’s mind boggling. In a time where things should be easier, ND continues to handcuff themselves. My head hurts. 

Drrrrr.

God....a superior edumecation.  Traditionz.  The Gripper.  The 4 headless horesman. 

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

11 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

I'll take a stab.  I think mainly its due to ND policies.  That is academically we cannot or will not take just anyone if their academics are not in order or to the satisfaction of Admissions.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the last underclassmen we took prior to the unfettered transfer portal, was Amir Carlyle(sp).

As a whole we just don't take transfers very often.  Prior to the portal, aka 5th years, you had to have degree in hand and working towards a declared Masters program.  Still believe this is in effect for ND guys who wish to stay beyond 4th year eligibility.  Look at the guys we've had come in recently as transfers, upperclassmen with a year maybe two to play, degree in hand, and from similar academic minded schools.  We got 2 Harvard guys and Northwestern this season off the top of my head. 

I don't see that changing in the future.  From a pure football decision who wouldn't want to transfer into ND with the bright lights, big stage potential.  But we will not be able to secure as many due to academic challenges where the university is gatekeepers.  I don't see ND bending on this issue, allowing entrance unfiltered to FB mercenaries, right or wrong.  We can get transfers who are properly lined up with the university's mission, but like HS recruiting it is limited on the numbers who qualify.  After that it a litany of selling them on the idea I suppose, ie opportunity, PT, ND degree, etc.

Ding ding ding. Everyone just expects ND to just start grabbing anyone and everyone. That’s not how ND operates. They had to get Joseph from Northwestern. Their Punter is from Yale(I believe). Unless Stanford, Northwestwrn start producing football factory type players yearly don’t expect ND to just start plucking guys from the portal. 

• Heart 2

Just now, ndomer4 said:

The safety is one player… 

How could they not find ONE receiver? 

They tried to Pearsall but he chose Florida. They sniffed the Iowa guy and maybe went after him. But he chose elsewhere too. Unless you start calling kids at schools there isn’t a ton left. I wished they would of got someone too. It just didn’t sound like it. 

3 hours ago, irishwavend said:

So Skoranek came to ND straight out of high school…?

Coan almost came to ND for Lacrosse and was a senior. He had the grades and wanted to come. 
Skoranek came from Northwestern like Joseph. 
Again, this is a far cry from getting a guy like Jameson Williams who transferred from Ohio State to Alabama. He wouldn’t of been accepted. ND chooses to hamstring it’s program. It is what it is right now. 

41 minutes ago, coltssb said:

ND chooses to hamstring it’s program. It is what it is right now. 

Agree. Until there is a powder puff degree ND will have a hard time taking many of the transfer options. Hell even the service academies all have them for the at risk students.  They were typically the ones that were hard to do well in but ones you were never going to be kicked out for if you turned in the work (Management, Humanities, etc). 

NDs options here are a freshman who overachieved both athletically and in education and took some classes that most football factories don’t even allow, and expecting them to come in and start. (Chance if anyone fitting this scenario - less than 1%)

Finding a 4th or 5th year grad transfer that is unhappy with their current situation, ie got passed over for a younger guy, coaching change, horrible team, etc. (I’d put the chance of this at line 20% maybe. But even best case scenario, this QB will likely be “serviceable”. The chances of a Joe Burrow situation is like one in a million.

1 hour ago, NDLincPark said:

This is so depressing to hear ND fans think this is some sort of actual thing to strive for. 

No one is “striving” for it. It’s the reality of the situation. ND has fumbled the QB situation for the better part of a decade.

How sad is it that most high profile QB would rather sit behind 1 or 2 other high profile QBs at other schools than come in and immediately start at ND?

It is what it is.

• Heart 1