• Join Big 10
    • Join ACC
    • Join SEC
    • Find another Solution
  2. 2. Should ND Join a Conference?

• Yes
    • No

I voted B10/Yes.

Never thought I would, but - things change. Survive and adapt... or don't.

Independence brought ND to where it is today and seeing the examples from the other thread, it's clear that it *was* central to our identity as a football program. But I honestly feel the last time it did anything for us was 30-40 years ago. CFB is much bigger business now and is nationwide/International for all the major players, not just ND. 

The ND brand isn't going anywhere. It won't get watered down in a conference. I saw someone say "when we play Illinois, we won't be on TV or it'll be a Friday night game." That's happened during Independence, also - Air Force I think it was? To me, with USC joining and other, big schools around the country likely to join - the time is now. I'd rather see ND get in while it can with the likes of tOSU, USC, Michigan - than be the "big fish" in an also-ran, new conference of leftovers. ND feels like it is ready to make its next, big transformation, to me. Tradition is key, but so is vision and imagination. I just don't see how being independent continues to serve ND as it has in the past. I'm grateful for what they've done, and excited for what is to come.

And it's truly ironic, writing and thinking about this on our Independence Day. 

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

Imagine….a handful of mega conferences then Notre Dame as the only Independent, standing up for all that is right and good in the world …. NDs recruiting slogan “ We need 11 good men”…..this would be better then a Captain America movie…..not just the Irish catholics would be routing for ND but ALL the poor and down trodden fighting against corporate greed…I vote INDEPENDENCE !….written on July 4th.

Edited by ND_JACK
  • Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

Was always on the remain Independent train, but I think the landscape of cfb is changing enough that ND needs to join a conference. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but sooner rather than later and now their coast to coast rivalries with USC can remain with the big10. I hate to say it, but it’s time to usher in a new era. Doesn’t change NDs history or what they stand for, but gotta adapt to the current climate

• Heart 1

Yes, CFB is changing quickly, too quickly for most everyone. And I don’t see it stopping until there are only the big conferences, SEC and Big 10, left standing. 

I have faith in Jack Swarbrick’s ability to guide ND through this and come out the other side smelling like a rose.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:05 AM, jimbo said:

Yes, CFB is changing quickly, too quickly for most everyone. And I don’t see it stopping until there are only the big conferences, SEC and Big 10, left standing. 

I have faith in Jack Swarbrick’s ability to guide ND through this and come out the other side smelling like a rose.

Two conferences won’t survive. Unless they want to to the NFL model and have an NFC/AFC model with three divisions in each one. Still…that won’t work either. Waaaay to many teams out there. The two conferences will alienate the other 100 division one teams. Lawsuits galore. I can’t wait either. I’m for chaos at this point. It’s the same way people wanted college players to get paid. Pure chaos. This will be the same way. 
Speaking of paying players. How about we see those scholarships now being tossed out the door. These kids can now get paid.  Make them realize what a true college education is worth like the rest of us. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, coltssb said:

Two conferences won’t survive. Unless they want to to the NFL model and have an NFC/AFC model with three divisions in each one. Still…that won’t work either. Waaaay to many teams out there. The two conferences will alienate the other 100 division one teams. Lawsuits galore. I can’t wait either. I’m for chaos at this point. It’s the same way people wanted college players to get paid. Pure chaos. This will be the same way. 
Speaking of paying players. How about we see those scholarships now being tossed out the door. These kids can now get paid.  Make them realize what a true college education is worth like the rest of us. 

Hasn’t the SEC alienated pretty much everyone else already?

14 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

As long as we have a fair shot at the playoffs, we do not need a conference.

I think that’s the concern, unless the playoffs expands beyond 4 teams, that everyone else will be left out of the conversation except the top teams in these “super conferences “

4 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

I think that’s the concern, unless the playoffs expands beyond 4 teams, that everyone else will be left out of the conversation except the top teams in these “super conferences “

What do you think that will look like?  The top two teams go to the playoffs from those two conferences?  
The winner of the conferences and the loser in the conference championship of those conferences?

You have to think that all the teams left out would either sue or boycott the playoffs or something.