Caleb Williams - NIL

3 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

This is all about money now, nothing to do with education. You need some type of regulating body for this NIL crap. Leaving a top 10 program where you’re the starter is just a bad look IMO. 

Alabama, Georgia, OSU and A&M will be ruining the sport even further as they hoard all the talent. They are no longer student athletes, heck look at some of the majors and classes at football factories… it’s pathetic. 

Maybe BK saw the writing on the wall. Either way, the gap between ND and the rest will continue to widen. Adapt to the new landscape or get left in the dust. 

It’s been that way for a long time. Cam Newtons father or whatever solicited his sons commitment for a hefty sum.

read article 10 years ago about ex Ohio State players who tried to finish their degree and community colleges wouldn’t honor all but 1 or 2 of the classes even though they played football for 3 years.

Ohio state had curriculum that kept the players eligible but didn’t teach anything accredited by the Ohio public school system. Was kinda nuts. 

3 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

This is all about money now, nothing to do with education.

Now? It's been all about money for decades. The fact that the education component is presented as anything but window dressing for elite, blue-chip talent is just theater. If Nick Saban wants to  sell his free house so Tyrone Prothro can get a monthly stipend to compensate for his career ending before he started getting paid for it, sure, let's talk about the damage this is going to do. If you're giving $96M to Mel Tucker, we can't say that kid putting his championship team over the top should take his scholarship and shut his mouth.

Not all billionaires are created equal. I don't see Zuckerberg ponying up 100M to make Harvard a national powerhouse. Probably over generalizing here but I think the more blue collar industry wealth will pony up, the tech sector, not so much. Outside of Cuban, of course.

8 minutes ago, DamshaBua said:

I see from his offer list on 247 that ND was interested. Goodness, talk about a position of need; this is like WR Manna from Heaven. 

Unlikely he ends up at ND but that would be a great replacement for loosing Austin.  Then again who know what will happen with this Wild West that is going on in CFB. 

• Heart 1

John W Jay(previous letterman for ND Football) gave ND 150 million for the endowment fund. He's a big proponent of paying football players. 

Shortly after these gifts, Jenkins and Swarbrick changed their tune on whether or not athletes should be paid and Swarbrick has diligently fired up/ crafted a whole NIL department for ND's student athletes. 

https://www.silverwavesmedia.com/news_article/show/1180447

Article where Jack's quoted as being a huge opponent of paying players before or right around the time big money was pledged from a billionaire fund manage who played at ND. Kind of funny how a couple dollars will change the tune of the brass.. See what I did there? 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/notre-dame-football-pay-players-college-sports

Posted this yesterday in the A&M post**

Edited by JTennant

2 hours ago, JTennant said:

Got a bag and A chance to be taught by one of the best to play the position and a decent head coach where he’ll get personal attention as opposed to signing with Bama and being the 7th cornerback getting the freshman treatment..

My prediction is he’ll transfer to a power 5 school to get reps against the best after he gets a year or two under him and shoot his shot for the nfl. 

I agree, he will get his cash bag from JBU and then transfer to another school to get a bigger cash bag and more recognition, then he will go to free agency once again before his junior year and get a HUGE cash bag before heading off to the NFL.

What I am talking about is a star player for a school like IU/Purdue. As soon as they become a star, the big teams will go get them. Not all D1 schools are that profitable in the football department. A stud at Ball State will dart as soon as he gets recognition because Ball State will not be able to compete for NIL $$$ with big schools. 

It's gonna be fun watching this NIL blow up past the point of no return. Then everyone saying "players are getting what they deserve" will leave college football because it will be nothing more than a mini-NFL with less supervision/rules

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I agree, he will get his cash bag from JBU and then transfer to another school to get a bigger cash bag and more recognition, then he will go to free agency once again before his junior year and get a HUGE cash bag before heading off to the NFL.

What I am talking about is a star player for a school like IU/Purdue. As soon as they become a star, the big teams will go get them. Not all D1 schools are that profitable in the football department. A stud at Ball State will dart as soon as he gets recognition because Ball State will not be able to compete for NIL $$$ with big schools. 

It's gonna be fun watching this NIL blow up past the point of no return. Then everyone saying "players are getting what they deserve" will leave college football because it will be nothing more than a mini-NFL with less supervision/rules

And another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got  mad. - )

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

And no salary cap. “Donors” can pretty much buy as many 5 stars as they want. A&M could have the first store bought championship before the NCAA figures out how to impose some kind of order. 

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

5 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Actually does not matter if a football program is profitable or not, Really depends on if a school has deep-pocketed alumni willing to pay NIL money to players. For example, Purdue with a $2+ billion endowment (not Texas-like but not bad for a public school - greater than LSU's $500MM) would appear to have some well off alumni. The question will be how things shake out and if some blue-bloods slip a notch due to other historically less successful schools now having access to more NIL money.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Actually does not matter if a football program is profitable or not, Really depends on if a school has deep-pocketed alumni willing to pay NIL money to players. For example, Purdue with a $2+ billion endowment (not Texas-like but not bad for a public school - greater than LSU's $500MM) would appear to have some well off alumni. The question will be how things shake out and if some blue-bloods slip a notch due to other historically less successful schools now having access to more NIL money.

doesnt change my point at all. Schools like Ball State will never be able to compete or even keep their best players when the big schools come knocking

7 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

doesnt change my point at all. Schools like Ball State will never be able to compete or even keep their best players when the big schools come knocking

how is that any different than before? Ball State could never and has never competed with the big boys. So nothing changes.

23 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

but their best players were not transferring

Are we really suggesting that Ball State's "competitiveness" is going to get meaningfully worse because blue bloods are going to pillage their talent pool? How often is Auburn going there to take players? And, do we need to maintain the universities' amount of control over players or is the bigger problem giving players that are making a career out of this more mobility? 

Edited by soulpatch
  • Heart 1

35 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

They could compete if a Ball State alum (say David Letterman) decided to open up his checkbook and spend $75MM a year on NIL payments to Ball State players. That is what is different now since NIL is "legal".

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

but their best players were not transferring

So you are saying an undervalued kid out of high school who has, insert family financial hardship here, who then explodes at a lesser school shouldn't have the opportunity to get their fair market value for his skills and help himself and his family? We can agree to disagree and I will be fine with whatever the repercussions are of not using our nations kids as indentured servants any longer. Kids should not be held to standards no adults are held to, especially when those adults and institutions are making millions upon millions off the backs of those kids.