Caleb Williams - NIL

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

that is against the rules... schools cannot facilitate the contracts (at least that is my understanding).

You're naive if you don't think that coaching staffs are facilitating contracts. No different than what was happening with bagmen before. Might be against the rules but does happen. Using burner phones, no way of really tracing it.

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

You're naive if you don't think that coaching staffs are facilitating contracts. No different than what was happening with bagmen before. Might be against the rules but does happen. Using burner phones, no way of really tracing it.

so you are proving my point in that it is just paying athletes and bribing them to go to your school. That is my main point in this thread and why I dislike NIL. This isnt getting athletes what they deserve, just a way to pay to play.

• Heart 1

So, if this really is a free agency of sorts, then when do the colleges get to start facilitating and enforcing legally binding contracts with the players? The goal being to at least force players to honor a commitment to a school instead of leaving every year for the highest bidder. Professional sports all have some level of contracts with agreed to salaries and incentives along with timing commitments a d behavioral requirements. This current approach can't be sustainable or good for any but a handful of football and basketball schools.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, ND4EVR said:

So, if this really is a free agency of sorts, then when do the colleges get to start facilitating and enforcing legally binding contracts with the players? The goal being to at least force players to honor a commitment to a school instead of leaving every year for the highest bidder. Professional sports all have some level of contracts with agreed to salaries and incentives along with timing commitments a d behavioral requirements. This current approach can't be sustainable or good for any but a handful of football and basketball schools.

Universities don't even offer 4 year scholarships to football players, they're all re-newed on a yearly basis. So why would an athlete commit to something longer than the term the University is willing to commit for? 

1 hour ago, Pregame said:

Universities don't even offer 4 year scholarships to football players, they're all re-newed on a yearly basis. So why would an athlete commit to something longer than the term the University is willing to commit for? 

You are right about some schools like Bama, but Notre Dame scholarships are 4 year commitments from the school correct?

10 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

You are right about some schools like Bama, but Notre Dame scholarships are 4 year commitments from the school correct?

I do believe that Notre Dame guarantees the scholarships for four years, at least verbally and barring any sort of dismissal from the team (thinking of Darnell Ewell and other guys who take medical hardships but continue to stay on scholarship at ND). However, I don't know know the mechanics of ND and player having to resubmit the scholarship every year for NCAA administrative protocols, etc. 

22 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

The "list" for any given school is not even that big of a secret. I am pretty sure that most of us could pull together a list of 10-20 of the top recruits that the ND coaching staff want within 15-30 minutes of searching what's in the public domain.

Been pretty lean at Good Guys Roofing over this covid stretch but I have an extra 5k for marketing next year if you point someone out in the DFW area that we need, lol. 

On 1/5/2022 at 7:50 PM, SDIrishFan said:

The way I read that, it’s not A&M paying them, it’s A&M providing a list of players to a “donor” to be paid.

Correct, which is still against the NIL rules.

The NCAA is a group of the most overconfident buffoons. Since they drew a hard line in the sand, this NIL was taken to a court and was tossed out under antitrust so now the NCAA is handcuffed in terms of creating some sort of common sense reform that could curb some of this nonsense.

I think if the NCAA said sure you can do NIL but legislate penalties for using it as a pitch to recruits and disallow freshman to sign and receive NIL contracts, you would curb a lot of this nonsense. Just a couple ideas my dumb butt came up with I'm sure there are other much better ways to encourage NIL deals while making sure teams don't take advantage of it and break the rules. 

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

I’ll admit I’m 100% for guys being able to make money off themselves, but it’s turning into the Wild West here. This is a slippery slope

I think this is a legitimate Pandora's Box at this point. I don't know if the NCAA can work up to something that slams the lid and gets some kind of regulations around the governance, but it is going to take time and it isn't going to prevent A&M from pulling down the number 1 recruiting class. I am concerned about Peyton Bowen, being highly rated and from Texas, we will see how it goes. 

This isn't unexpected, savvy organizations and individuals spot loopholes and exploit the hell out of them, look at Belichick, that guy exploited every rule possible until the loopholes get closed. I think it is an interesting topic given that a lot of people are looking at this as a benefit to the students without looking at the fact that neither the boosters nor the school give two farts about these kids as evidenced by years of exploitation. When one of these guys goes down with an injury or fails to perform on the field all of that money is going to vanish and the kid is going to be sitting there holding a grey shirt. Not to mention the fact that these guys are going to have to interview (audition, whatever you want to call it) for their job every year against kids and the transfer portal and incoming kids, and this isn't just an interview for their position anymore.

I think the assumption that NIL benefits kids with this crazy wild west action is faulty. It may benefit some kids who are able to capitalize quickly and make good money choices, but ultimately I think there are going to be a lot of folks screwed in this situation.

6 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

I think it is an interesting topic given that a lot of people are looking at this as a benefit to the students without looking at the fact that neither the boosters nor the school give two farts about these kids as evidenced by years of exploitation. When one of these guys goes down with an injury or fails to perform on the field all of that money is going to vanish and the kid is going to be sitting there holding a grey shirt. Not to mention the fact that these guys are going to have to interview (audition, whatever you want to call it) for their job every year against kids and the transfer portal and incoming kids, and this isn't just an interview for their position anymore.

I am struggling to see how NIL has made this type of situation worse for kids. Instead of being screwed with no compensation (pre-NIL), they would now be screwed while having collected some compensation (yay NIL).

Do you think people are going to start taking advantage of kids now? I've got bad news...

• Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Tailgate Approved said:

I am struggling to see how NIL has made this type of situation worse for kids. Instead of being screwed with no compensation (pre-NIL), they would now be screwed while having collected some compensation (yay NIL).

Do you think people are going to start taking advantage of kids now? I've got bad news...

It doesn't make it worse, it just increases the area of effect.

I believe schools like Boise State will see their brightest stars entering the transfer portal for financial opportunity. Why would a player like Leighton Vander Esch stay in Boise? Leighton would have started at any university that could afford him. (He chose the NFL over BSU.)

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Irish_Thunder said:

Caleb and Mario Willians reportedly visiting USC this weekend. Could be a classic strength vs strength show down to end the season if USC gets hot in the portal, that oline needs a miracle though. 

Yeah and they were there with Lincoln at Oklahoma and they almost lost a tone of games against poor teams. His teams are soft. I’ll glad when we play them. 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Irish_Thunder said:

Caleb and Mario Willians reportedly visiting USC this weekend. Could be a classic strength vs strength show down to end the season if USC gets hot in the portal, that oline needs a miracle though. 

Ah man that is not where I wanna see Williams go.

9 hours ago, coltssb said:

Yeah and they were there with Lincoln at Oklahoma and they almost lost a tone of games against poor teams. His teams are soft. I’ll glad when we play them. 

All offense no defense.  I know its a B12 trait but hopefully it holds true with Riley at USC too.  I'd love to see ND run all over them.

15 hours ago, IdahoJudge said:

I believe schools like Boise State will see their brightest stars entering the transfer portal for financial opportunity. Why would a player like Leighton Vander Esch stay in Boise? Leighton would have started at any university that could afford him. (He chose the NFL over BSU.)

Does Boise State not have boosters? Why would you think that there aren’t people in Idaho that will players to use their NIL? Universities aren’t paying players the boosters are.