2022 QB Steve Angeli is Irish!

33 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Not just the QB, but I value a legit stud QB over a kid who can’t even complete 60% of his passes in HS.

And I don’t hate the kid, but I hate ND signing him. I’m announcing how all of this talk about closing the gap suddenly doesn’t matter. This kid just isn’t any good. More people should be pushing back on Rees for his shitty recruiting. However, bc you’re all emotional and illogical, you give him a pass bc you “like” him. Well, I’m not like that. He’s sucked as a recruiter and his Xs and Os capabilities will only get him so far with scrubs at QB

The credit and/or blame for the 2022 offense recruiting prior to Freeman being HC falls on Kelly. Kelly had to be OK with Rees's QB recruiting while Rees worked for him. Let's see if Freeman will allow Rees to continue to "settle" at QB or will he push Rees to elevate QB recruiting at ND going forward.

52 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Not just the QB, but I value a legit stud QB over a kid who can’t even complete 60% of his passes in HS.

And I don’t hate the kid, but I hate ND signing him. I’m announcing how all of this talk about closing the gap suddenly doesn’t matter. This kid just isn’t any good. More people should be pushing back on Rees for his shitty recruiting. However, bc you’re all emotional and illogical, you give him a pass bc you “like” him. Well, I’m not like that. He’s sucked as a recruiter and his Xs and Os capabilities will only get him so far with scrubs at QB

I am neither illogical or emotional. Rees had interest from higher level QBs and BK didn’t put the effort to talk to those kids unless they were on campus which several made it. BK didn’t do much if anything after that. BK ran a CEO type program, which is great but limits you. It puts everything on the staff but kids want to hear from the head coach. BK did better the last two years but fell short compared to the top coaches you want your team to be like. Walker Howard fell into BKs lap. 

ND needs to improve, no doubt, but it is not all on Rees. He’s a big reason why the offensive recruits chose ND in 2022 and stayed. 

1 hour ago, Big23Head said:

He never reopened it. His visited schools for a back up plan just in case. That family is LSU through and through. 

IDK man. Visiting schools for a back up plan is pretty much opening things up no? 

As I understood things, he shut things down when he committed. Changing that and talking and taking visits is the definition of reopening to me. He and his dad talked very highly of BK and Rees (when BK was still here). 

1 hour ago, ELDER06 said:

“I found my coach” seems like he was looking for something. Face it, Rees has a terrible track record recruiting. Signing Angeli proves he doesn’t know what he’s doing. ND would’ve been better off him with him leaving and hiring a real OC like Herman. 

Actually, Walker and his father gushed about Rees. 

2 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

IDK man. Visiting schools for a back up plan is pretty much opening things up no? 

As I understood things, he shut things down when he committed. Changing that and talking and taking visits is the definition of reopening to me. He and his dad talked very highly of BK and Rees (when BK was still here). 

Normally I would agree. This case is different with his level of LSU connections. LSU insiders didn’t even blink. His dad also made it clear it would take something massive for him to leave LSU. 

3 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Normally I would agree. This case is different with his level of LSU connections. LSU insiders didn’t even blink. His dad also made it clear it would take something massive for him to leave LSU. 

I agree 100% there are big time connections. But in my book, it's also a clear case of saying "I'm not married"....

That's fine if he just wanted to flirt, or possibly line up option 2 to the prom, but he definitely declared he wasn't married lol. 

He has a Bama offer as well as other good ones already, so not sure he really needed to just check out back up plans.

Purely my opinion, he loves LSU, he likes ND (raved about it, including Rees and BK), and it just worked out that a coach he and his parents liked, ended up at LSU. Pretty easy to get married at that point. 

6 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

The credit and/or blame for the 2022 offense recruiting prior to Freeman being HC falls on Kelly. Kelly had to be OK with Rees's QB recruiting while Rees worked for him. Let's see if Freeman will allow Rees to continue to "settle" at QB or will he push Rees to elevate QB recruiting at ND going forward.

By that logic, Kelly the gets credit for the recruits Freeman pulled in. Can’t have it both ways.

6 hours ago, Big23Head said:

I am neither illogical or emotional. Rees had interest from higher level QBs and BK didn’t put the effort to talk to those kids unless they were on campus which several made it. BK didn’t do much if anything after that. BK ran a CEO type program, which is great but limits you. It puts everything on the staff but kids want to hear from the head coach. BK did better the last two years but fell short compared to the top coaches you want your team to be like. Walker Howard fell into BKs lap. 

ND needs to improve, no doubt, but it is not all on Rees. He’s a big reason why the offensive recruits chose ND in 2022 and stayed. 

Their best Offensive recruits are on the fence. I wish Angeli would decommit and do everyone a favor. Regardless, Rees needs to be in Maalik Murphy’s ear right now.

10 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

IDC. You guys can’t complain forever about Kelly and bad QBs then just ignore how pedestrian this kid is. 

Oh we can!  He’s gone now so we can analyze every aspect of Kelly’s regimen. Recruiting and developing qb’s had to be one of his worst coaching jobs at ND. And picking Angeli is just another one. Although, I like the kid and want him to do well. 

4 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

IDC. You guys can’t complain forever about Kelly and bad QBs then just ignore how pedestrian this kid is. 

He's the last QB Kelly will recruit at ND. You act like Rees had autonomy. I think he at least puts up numbers like Jack Coan, Protects the ball, is tall, the is a least Coan's if not better.  

3 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

He's the last QB Kelly will recruit at ND. You act like Rees had autonomy. I think he at least puts up numbers like Jack Coan, Protects the ball, is tall, the is a least Coan's if not better.  

Coan isn’t good enough to close the gap. He was a 1 yr rental to act as a bridge bw Book & Buchner. However, with how bad Buchner had looked throwing the ball, I don’t have a lot of confidence in him. 

6 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Oh we can!  He’s gone now so we can analyze every aspect of Kelly’s regimen. Recruiting and developing qb’s had to be one of his worst coaching jobs at ND. And picking Angeli is just another one. Although, I like the kid and want him to do well. 

What’s the excuse for striking out in the ‘23 class? 

Just now, ELDER06 said:

Coan isn’t good enough to close the gap. He was a 1 yr rental to act as a bridge bw Book & Buchner. However, with how bad Buchner had looked throwing the ball, I don’t have a lot of confidence in him. 

Kelly wasn't either apparently or he would of given up but don't missplace the blame on this QB.

3 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Kelly wasn't either apparently or he would of given up but don't missplace the blame on this QB.

I blame the staff for recruiting him. It’s not personal, but I’m quite frustrated by the bad QB recruiting from Rees.