Student to Walk out of Pence Commencement

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's their right to exercise free speech, and it's their ceremony. I thought I read in 2009 a group did a seperate ceremony from the Obama one, though I could be wrong....

Call me weird, but given the number of highly successful alums ND has, why not honor some of them as the speaker and keep politics out of it altogether unless they graduated from there. And really this could go for a lot of schools.

You really want to bring a political topic on this board in these times? Be my guest, I will reapond in due diligence if you are prepared.

Jesse, a few wore pro-life stickers during Obamas honorable degree speech. It was a great speech though. It was handled by a a lot of class, you should watch it. Obama pretty much left politics out of it, talked about the father leading the civil rights march ect. Class speech by a class president.

Domer, go to your friends at briebart, see how they belittle Catholics. They have great headlines for you "catholic Corbert lashes out at Trump" or "pope says climate change" etc etc. they hate Catholics and persecute us for caring about others than ourselves.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

I don't see the big deal, it's their right, just as it was for the kids who skipped when Obama spoke. I would agree, bad planning to have a political speaker at this point in time. I know ND is a fairly conservative University, but even still, they had to know this would be a bad PR move.

I thought ND taught honor and respect

As long as they're not rioting, like at Berkely, it's their right. TBH, if I was a parent who sunk 200+K in tuition and my kid ditched the ceremony, I'd be pissed, but that's between the families.

Edited by ELDER06

As long as they're not rioting, like at Berkely, it's their right. TBH, if I was a parent who sunk 200+K in tuition and my kid ditched the ceremony, I'd be pissed, but that's between the families.

Correct. It absolutely is there right to walk out.

My dad is a long time ND donor who stopped 2-3 three years ago. He's fed up with the departure from the values he learned at the private school.

We will see if students at the school are still exceptional, meaning they are the exception, than the rest of the college graduates in this country.

Bye. Felt a little bad for you with that thread of people wanting you banned. I Dont anymore.

The fact you are offended at me calling out this incredible act of disrespect toward the Vice President of the United States by these piece of **** students tells me all I need to know about you.Spoiled, rich, self-righteous snowflakes. No wonder the football team is so soft.

I don't care or need any sympathy from you nor asked for any. What I say about the university and it's program is the honest truth. So truthful that it has people but hurt enough to want me banned.

It was a small percentage of this year's graduating class, something like 100 out of 2,000. It's their right to do so but does not reflect the attitude of the entire class.

I personally believe that you have to be open to different viewpoints. Some of these kids believe in diversity as long as it aligns with their personal beliefs.

The fact that this has basically gone "viral" is silly IMO but that's the mainstream media for you.

The fact you are offended at me calling out this incredible act of disrespect toward the Vice President of the United States by these piece of **** students tells me all I need to know about you.Spoiled, rich, self-righteous snowflakes. No wonder the football team is so soft.

I don't care or need any sympathy from you nor asked for any. What I say about the university and it's program is the honest truth. So truthful that it has people but hurt enough to want me banned.

They are not disrespecting him, they are simply exercising their right to protest. If they were shouting, waving obscene signs or throwing things at him, that would be disrespectful.

The fact that you are so judgmental and easily offended by this simple act suggests that YOU are the snowflake, not them.

I'm actually proud that students are engaged enough to do this and are doing so in a civilized manner.

Correct. It absolutely is there right to walk out.

My dad is a long time ND donor who stopped 2-3 three years ago. He's fed up with the departure from the values he learned at the private school.

We will see if students at the school are still exceptional, meaning they are the exception, than the rest of the college graduates in this country.

I went to a small Catholic University, it's not just changing at Notre Dame. Catholic schools are becoming more and more secular.

They are not disrespecting him, they are simply exercising their right to protest. If they were shouting, waving obscene signs or throwing things at him, that would be disrespectful.

The fact that you are so judgmental and easily offended by this simple act suggests that YOU are the snowflake, not them.

I'm actually proud that students are engaged enough to do this and are doing so in a civilized manner.

It is always disrespectful to walk out on somebody when they are about to speak. Especially when they are the Vice President of the United States who was invited by the University. Let's not act like I'm the only one who is not happy with this willfully embarrassing and disrespectful act.

In fairness to ND, they invite whoever the new president is to speak, no matter the party. Not sure how Penske got invited, maybe being from Indiana. Trump either declined or they went against tradition for this one.

The Administration made the decision NOT to invite Trump. This was a break from the long-standing tradition of inviting a president in their first year in office.

Kudos to Fr. John Jenkins.

It is always disrespectful to walk out on somebody when they are about to speak. Especially when they are the Vice President of the United States who was invited by the University. Let's not act like I'm the only one who is not happy with this willfully embarrassing and disrespectful act.

Don't act like you're an alumni, you've got no discourse to be embarrassed.

Free speech well-executed.

Those students don't like what Pence stands for and let him know it in a "respectful" way. Not a lot of yelling and screaming and carrying on. He was able to speak, they were able to peacefully disagree.

In my opinion it was a wonderful example of freedom of speech.

Congratulations to Norte Dame on having the controversial VP give the commencement address. Congratulations to the 100 students who protested but didn't ruin the event for the 1900 students (and their guests) who didn't. And congratulations to all the newly minted graduates. Hopefully each one will make the world a better place.

Free speech well-executed.

Those students don't like what Pence stands for and let him know it in a "respectful" way. Not a lot of yelling and screaming and carrying on. He was able to speak, they were able to peacefully disagree.

In my opinion it was a wonderful example of freedom of speech.

Congratulations to Norte Dame on having the controversial VP give the commencement address. Congratulations to the 100 students who protested but didn't ruin the event for the 1900 students (and their guests) who didn't. And congratulations to all the newly minted graduates. Hopefully each one will make the world a better place.

What he stands for? You mean being pro-life? So you are congratulating them for walking out on the vice president of the United states as he is about to speak to the class and their families.....because he has the nerve to support life, at a Catholic University?

It's nothing more than immature petulant behavior.