Notre Dame vs Kentucky Thread

Eleven months of the year (save for the odd day we are lucky enough to get an Irish regular season game) I could give a rat's *** about basketball (or African Tree Hockey as the natives call it up here), but the last few weeks were damned exciting. Kudos to those kids, they punched the schoolyard bully in the mouth and challenged them to a fist fight.

Wow that was fun to watch.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were tied and we ended up fouling anyway, only the foul came with six seconds left. Even another five seconds would have given ND a better chance of setting up a shot to at least send it to overtime.

Brey was actually yelling to the guys to foul right before he called that time out. I think that would have been a decent strategy. We could not stop Towns. There was an extremely high chance he would score.

By fouling, you take control of the situation, maybe get lucky and they miss some FT's, and then you set yourself up with plenty of time to set up the possible game winning shot.

Spilled milk right now, but I would not have been upset if that happened.

It sucks we lost considering that I think we all feel we should have won that game. Who would have thought that a few months ago?? Great year!!

We were tied and we ended up fouling anyway, only the foul came with six seconds left. Even another five seconds would have given ND a better chance of setting up a shot to at least send it to overtime.

Oh well. Would have, could have, should have, what if. It's all moot now.

Still a heck of a run, as unexpected and enjoyable as 2012 for the football team except for the final outcome. I don't think anyone expected ND to hang so tight with them and I'm sure some UK butts were squirming in their seats and there are probably some unhappy gamblers out there.

It's easy to say they should have fouled because of what happened, but no coach is gonna have their team foul in a tie game. Putting them at the FT line is essentially giving them points. Great season and I have nothing but respect and happiness regarding this group of guys.

My boys are still fuming this morning. They REALLY think ND deserved that game.

We truly enjoyed watching this team. My wife, who really does not like basketball, was even jumping around with us last night.

Amazing effort, Amazing team, Amazing season!

Now onward to ND lacrosse!!!!

I have also criticized Brey through the years for his team's not playing defense, his lack of emotion on the bench, his recruiting that lacked athleticism and no set plays at crucial points in the game. He has improved in all of those areas with this team. Hopefully some recruits are turned on by the ND tournament run and come aboard soon.

I couldn't understand the three stupid contested deep shots by Grant with no time left the last 3 series. It's tough cause I think this team could have won the title this year and who knows when this chance will happen again. I know we have a coach who can win us one, if we start recruiting better this program is still headed up in the right direction.

Great season by the team, if we can get someone to replace Grant and a big guy in for Pat I think we can be good again next season.

It's easy to say they should have fouled because of what happened, but no coach is gonna have their team foul in a tie game. Putting them at the FT line is essentially giving them points. Great season and I have nothing but respect and happiness regarding this group of guys.

If they had not milked the entire shot clock on the blocked 3 then it would not have mattered.

Brey should have called for a 2 for 1 imo and then we are not so worried about time. It was odds on they would score so leave a little time to give yourself a chance.

I did not watch the game as I had a daughter in competition out of town. Listened on the radio on the way home. Was told the first half we should have been up 8 or 9 but there were horrible calls and non calls. You guys agree??

I never like to blame officials for losing, and I can't really say that these guys cost us the game, but there were a couple key calls in the first half that did not go our way.

ZA was going in for a dunk and the UK defender got all wrist and there was a no call. Possibly could have been 2 points there.

Towns put a post move on ZA and let with a roundhouse elbow to the chest and they called ZA for a foul and 1. I think there was another touch foul a few minutes later that was foul #2 for ZA that took him out of the game for a long time.

So, those were some pretty key points in the game.

If, if, if, though. We missed a couple free throws right at the end that would have made a difference - so many key ifs that would have offset those couple of bad calls.

Regardless, I really haven't been this excited for ND Bball since I was a student way back in the late 80's early 90's.

Now, on to the girls...

I never like to blame officials for losing, and I can't really say that these guys cost us the game, but there were a couple key calls in the first half that did not go our way.

ZA was going in for a dunk and the UK defender got all wrist and there was a no call. Possibly could have been 2 points there.

Towns put a post move on ZA and let with a roundhouse elbow to the chest and they called ZA for a foul and 1. I think there was another touch foul a few minutes later that was foul #2 for ZA that took him out of the game for a long time.

So, those were some pretty key points in the game.

If, if, if, though. We missed a couple free throws right at the end that would have made a difference - so many key ifs that would have offset those couple of bad calls.

Regardless, I really haven't been this excited for ND Bball since I was a student way back in the late 80's early 90's.

Now, on to the girls...

This is the best post I've seen regarding officiating. Yes, it was a block by Jackson at the end. But the "all wrist" block and the Towns offensive foul turned 3 point play were terrible. Take a foul away from August and give another to Towns and Towns is down for a long time and maybe ultimately out of the game - he finished with 4. That changes the came considerably. Did those fouls cause ND to lose? No. But it does show how officiating can have a major impact on a game, and even on calls early in the game and not just at the end.

Great effort ND. You have my respect.

Yes, those FT misses were killers. At the 5 minute mark Auguste missed one after he made a great play and was fouled. Trouble was they had a TV time out after the basket and he came back onto the floor to shoot the FT after that cold and cluncked it. Then Grant, on the play were he was fouled with 4 min left right on the 3-pt line but it was judges a 2-pt shot, made the first and missed the second. The Pat gets fouled with under 3 min to go and makes the front end but misses the second.

Add those three misses to the final point total and you have a victory rather than defeat.

Edited by Jersey Irish

Yes, those FT misses were killers. At the 5 minute mark Auguste missed one after he made a great play and was fouled. Trouble was they had a TV time out after the basket and he came back onto the floor to shoot the FT after that cold and cluncked it. Then Grant, on the play were he was fouled with 4 min left right on the 3-pt line but it was judges a 2-pt shot, made the first and missed the second. The Pat gets fouled with under 3 min to go and makes the front end but misses the second.

Add those three misses to the final point total and you have a victory rather tan defeat.

And so I watched the post-game media session and they have 5 Kentucky guys up there to answer questions. The NCAA's moderator before every question says: "Does anyone have any questions for our student-athletes on the podium?

Student-athletes? Where?

Certainly, he did not mean those 5 one-and-done dudes for Kentucky sitting up there!

What a freakin' joke: Kentucky student-athlete is an oxymoron.

That really pissed me off! The NCAA is a joke too if they believe that. These guys will only attend classes until the championship game to stay eligible and then sit back and wait for the NBA draft. Student-athletes my ***!!!

And so I watched the post-game media session and they have 5 Kentucky guys up there to answer questions. The NCAA's moderator before every question says: "Does anyone have any questions for our student-athletes on the podium?

Student-athletes? Where?

Certainly, he did not mean those 5 one-and-done dudes for Kentucky sitting up there!

What a freakin' joke: Kentucky student-athlete is an oxymoron.

That really pissed me off! The NCAA is a joke too if they believe that. These guys will only attend classes until the championship game to stay eligible and then sit back and wait for the NBA draft. Student-athletes my ***!!!

Cauley-Stein is a junior. Harrison twins are sophomores.

Duke starts more freshmen than Kentucky.