Notre Dame vs Kentucky Thread

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Kentucky is that it is because of their defense that they dominate and teams don't often have an off defensive night like they can have an off night shooting.

I have absolutely no expectations of beating Kentucky (call me a realist and not a pessimist) but I do feel like there are some glimmers of hope that we could have a chance if things go our way.

1) We can spread the floor better than any other team.

2) Our defense has really stepped up.

3) We have nothing to lose.

4) Kentucky may come in over-confident after that absolute embarrassment of a thrashing against WVU.

5) We have a bunch of Juniors/Seniors/5th years playing against a bunch of Freshman/Sophomores

6) ND, as a school, has a history of ending streaks.

7) ND has a chance to just absolutely shoot the lights out from 3 to compete.

All of that said, I just don't see really any team having a good chance to beat Kentucky if the way they usually do.

Regardless, GO IRISH!!!

I think ND is totally fine with UK scoring down in the post. Just maybe not on every single possession. Make them score 2 pointers, and then jack up fifty 3 pointers and hope half of them go in. Might as well. Nothing to lose this far into the tourney...

I would guess that ND will play UK the way they played duke, spread them out and force their big men to play out by the 3-point line.

I really think ND is going to get beaten up down low on the defensive end.

I believe this is the only way that we can have a chance. We better shoot the lights out.

I believe this is the only way that we can have a chance. We better shoot the lights out.

I agree, trade our 3 pointers for their 2 pointers.

Only other thought (hope) is that Kentucky might not play well if they get down and start forcing things.

This is a game we really need Beachem and Colson to come off the bench and help out with rebounding. Auguste and Connaughton also have to be on their A game on the defensive glass. If Auguste gets in foul trouble we are screwed.

Looking forward to the game but if we don't shoot lights out we won't have a chance. Here's to ruining another streak!!!

To win tonight...

Grant has to become a legend

Auguste needs to stay out of foul trouble

Steve Vasturia needs to introduce himself to America

And Kentucky has to be off their game just a bit

Then and only then do the Irish have a shot...

Go Irish!!!

I have absolutely no expectations of beating Kentucky (call me a realist and not a pessimist) but I do feel like there are some glimmers of hope that we could have a chance if things go our way.

I feel the same way...it's not my non-belief in the Irish, but rather seeing UK play and realizing just how ridiculously good they are. This feels like 1980 USA vs The Russians in Olympic hockey. Just "maybe" David has a chance!

If Auguste gets in foul trouble we are screwed.

I think it's the key to the entire game. I expect Calipari to have his players charge the center of the lane early and often, trying to get Auguste in early foul trouble. I will be shocked if Auguste makes it through the first half with fewer than 3 fouls, and actually expect him to be on the bench for the last 6 minutes of the first half because of this.

The longer we stay in the game, the better chance they have of tightening up and choking. We can't go down big early, and I expect Brey to use timeouts quickly whenever Kentucky starts a little run. It's gonna take 15 3s, but we can win. 99 times out of 100 they may beat us, but it only takes once...

Remember at the beginning of the year when people here were knocking Vasturia?? Hahaha at those people. He's really good and very important to ND's success.

To me, Vasturia has shown the most improvement this year. Not only has he shown he can shut people down on D and hit the three, he has shown he can penetrate, and find the open person. I will admit I did not think he had this much in him and have been HIGHLY impressed with him for the past month.

A lot of great comments here. Give us Kaminsky and Dekker from Wisconsin and I like our chances. Otherwise I don't expect it to be pretty.

That being said UK is a once in a generation team. Without them ND would be looking good to win it all. Just tough luck that they came together this year.

Edited by PursuitAce