NDWBB I can't breath

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

outside of #s 1 and 2, not sure the statements add credibility to the force that was used on this man. the reasoning gets worse as you go down the list.

add credibility to the officer but discrediting the person who shot the video? Nonsense IMHO.

outside of #s 1 and 2, not sure the statements add credibility to the force that was used on this man. the reasoning gets worse as you go down the list.

add credibility to the officer but discrediting the person who shot the video? Nonsense IMHO.

Scotty...5 and 6 had alot to do with the G.J. NOT indicting.

The guy had a ton of health issues...and he died later in the ambulance. Media would love you to believe he died on the sidewalk.

And still...if you can talk you are breathing.

Either dumb, uninformed, or spineless people are supporting this issue and it's a shame.

- I can't breathe is an expression everyone says when they're short of breath or having trouble breathing. Kind of like I'm starving when you're hungry. You're not really starving....you're just hungry. So cut Garner a break there and enough with the "if you can talk you can breathe" BS. The guy was out of shape with health problems trying to say he couldn't get much air.

- With that said the officers were absolutely right in taking him down and using that force. he was resisting arrest and officers have to be forceful and secure the suspect. I also don't think it was a real chokehold looking at the grip...Garner was just outta shape with asthma. He wasn't even in a damn chokehold when he was saying "I can't breathe". Also, if you watch the show COPS...9 out of 10 suspects under arrest say crap like that while getting arrested like "Ow you're hurting me!" or "The Handcuffs are Too Tight!" or "My arm....my back...etc etc etc!" I literally watched one episode where a guy was running away and swam into a lake...realized he couldn't swim...swam back...and as officers were arresting him guess what he said...."I Can't Breathe". It was classic and couldn't believe irony with Garner case having just happened.

- Awesome fact sheet SpeedsterX

- The girls basketball team is dumb.

What's weird is how none of you seem to get the meaning of the statement. "I can't breathe".

Start by questioning this...why was a 29 year old police officer utilizing a maneuver banned for 21 years by the department he works for? And better yet...why did said officer and his fellow officers lie on their reports if they were applying correct force?

Its funny how you think that if you can talk, you can breathe. Ever seen someone with asthma have a severe attack? They can talk, but they aren't getting enough oxygen. If the situation isn't rectified, they will lose consciousness and could die.

The term. "I can't breathe" is symbolic of more than just Eric Garner. Its about all of the African American men who are perceived as a threat by police without doing anything wrong. Imagine living in a country like that...every last one of your actions is overly scrutinized. In essence, you can't breathe.

What's weird is how none of you seem to get the meaning of the statement. "I can't breathe".

Start by questioning this...why was a 29 year old police officer utilizing a maneuver banned for 21 years by the department he works for? And better yet...why did said officer and his fellow officers lie on their reports if they were applying correct force?

Its funny how you think that if you can talk, you can breathe. Ever seen someone with asthma have a severe attack? They can talk, but they aren't getting enough oxygen. If the situation isn't rectified, they will lose consciousness and could die.

The term. "I can't breathe" is symbolic of more than just Eric Garner. Its about all of the African American men who are perceived as a threat by police without doing anything wrong. Imagine living in a country like that...every last one of your actions is overly scrutinized. In essence, you can't breathe.

Yet in this case he was doing something wrong, then he resisted arrest. I'm not saying I don't feel bad that he died. Sometimes when you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

Profiling races/age groups/clothing/time of night/type of car ends up being critical to self-preservation for officers who have to interact with unpredictable criminals on a daily basis. If asians were committing an overwhelming percentage of the crimes in these neighborhoods and across the nation, they'd be profiled too. But they aren't. Black people are. It sucks for black folks who are innocent, law-abiding citizens, but that's the way it is and the way it always will be until they change their culture from within instead of blaming society for all of their problems.

Have you ever seen an episode of COPS when officers stop white guys in predominantly black, low income neighborhoods because the officers assume they are there to buy drugs? Guess what? Those white guys were profiled and with good reason. And as a white man I have no issue with that.

And as for anyone who refuses orders from an officer or resists being taken into custody, they deserve to be met with force because it's the responsibility of the officer to protect himself. These guys would be alive if they just followed the law.

As a nation we have become such pu$$ies that I fully expect officers to be required to ask permission before doing their job one day. Criminals are loving it when the white liberals make it easier for them to perpetuate their life of crime.

Edited by echo88

I have no issue with the team wearing these shirts and I HIGHLY doubt anyone of significance stopped their donation check over shirts the women's basketball team wore before one game.

Whether I agree with this particular cause is besides the point, I just have no problem with these girls using their platform to take a stance they believe in.

Also, I love the Internet standard #pftcommenter STICK TO SPORTS reactions and how people are pissed they are "misrepresenting the university." Do you even have any affiliation to the university yourself? I think anyone with half of a brain would be able to understand that these shirts are not ND issued.

Choke holds are banned. He wasn't attempting a choke hold.

@Echo88 - According to the FBI stats from 2011, white people committed 69.2% of the crimes in the US. Black people committed 28.4%. So if a officer was doing profiling according to statistics, he should be more suspicious of pulling over a white male than a black one, correct? Yeah...it doesn't work that way.

Blame society for all of their problems? Like what...being charged higher interest rates on loans, or being outright rejected for them? Not getting jobs when they're the most qualified candidate? Being bypassed for promotions? Getting longer sentences for equivalent or lesser crimes than a white criminal? Not sure where you're going.

As a white man, you're not profiled 24/7. You're not constantly followed around stores. You've never been detained because your resemblance to the actual suspect is just your skin color. If you're driving an expensive car, you're not pulled over because the car is believed to be stolen, even though there is no record of a car like the one you're driving being stolen. So of course you're okay with profiling! How big of you!

@Corysold - so a forearm across the throat and applying pressure isn't a chokehold? Okay...let me do that to you and see if you don't cry out that I'm choking you.

I would suggest this as a read. Its an interesting take that may resonate with some of you: http://www.renegademothering.com/2014/12/09/discovered-white/

After reading numerous articles I've read, the officers are trained in a maneuver intended to stop blood flow to the brain, a "sleeper hold" in common vernacular. Pressure is applied to carotid arteries along the side of the neck, not the windpipe in the front of the neck.

This hold does not restrict the windpipe. It is quite possible he was doing the maneuver wrong, but his intention was not to restrict his breathing, but he was a big guy and it is possible he did not apply the hold correctly, but that is different than using an outlawed tactic as is so often reported.

And FYI, I'm a white male who does a paper route at 3AM in a Toyota Prius. I've been pulled over dozens of times over the 6 years I've done it for "looking suspicious".

Edited by corysold

After reading numerous articles I've read, the officers are trained in a maneuver intended to stop blood flow to the brain, a "sleeper hold" in common vernacular. Pressure is applied to carotid arteries along the side of the neck, not the windpipe in the front of the neck.

This hold does not restrict the windpipe. It is quite possible he was doing the maneuver wrong, but his intention was not to restrict his breathing, but he was a big guy and it is possible he did not apply the hold correctly, but that is different than using an outlawed tactic as is so often reported.

And FYI, I'm a white male who does a paper route at 3AM in a Toyota Prius. I've been pulled over dozens of times over the 6 years I've done it for "looking suspicious".

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/2400322.jpg

:grin:

http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/2400322.jpg

:grin:

Ha! I threw that part in for the stereotyping affect.

But my wife and I put over 30,000 miles a year on it, so the savings add up!

I used those savings to purchase a vintage diesel generator, I want to do my part to contribute to global warming.

These kinds of topics tend to get skewed because of the large number of law enforcement professionals who populate this board.

The point of this was the women's basketball team wearing the shirts. Here in America we have freedom of speech, I am glad the women felt free to use it, right or wrong. On that same note I am entitled to wear my FBI (Federal Boob Inspector) t-shirt if I ever meet them and see if anyone bites (figuratively, not literally).

Right or wrong, exercise your rights or you will lose them, stand for something and fall for nothing.

@Echo88 - According to the FBI stats from 2011, white people committed 69.2% of the crimes in the US. Black people committed 28.4%. So if a officer was doing profiling according to statistics, he should be more suspicious of pulling over a white male than a black one, correct? Yeah...it doesn't work that way.

Blame society for all of their problems? Like what...being charged higher interest rates on loans, or being outright rejected for them? Not getting jobs when they're the most qualified candidate? Being bypassed for promotions? Getting longer sentences for equivalent or lesser crimes than a white criminal? Not sure where you're going.

As a white man, you're not profiled 24/7. You're not constantly followed around stores. You've never been detained because your resemblance to the actual suspect is just your skin color. If you're driving an expensive car, you're not pulled over because the car is believed to be stolen, even though there is no record of a car like the one you're driving being stolen. So of course you're okay with profiling! How big of you!

@Corysold - so a forearm across the throat and applying pressure isn't a chokehold? Okay...let me do that to you and see if you don't cry out that I'm choking you.

I would suggest this as a read. Its an interesting take that may resonate with some of you: http://www.renegademothering.com/2014/12/09/discovered-white/

Violent crimes? As in, crimes cops might profile for when protecting themselves? Whites commited 62% of those according to the FBI? GTFO.

Also dont forget to factor in how much fewer blacks there are than whites once you arrive at the real statistic.

Violent crimes? As in, crimes cops might profile for when protecting themselves? Whites commited 62% of those according to the FBI? GTFO.

Also dont forget to factor in how much fewer blacks there are than whites once you arrive at the real statistic.

So now cops only profile for violent criminals...they never profile people and pull people over to catch them for drugs, DUI, or because they're a suspect in a robbery. Oh wait...you mentioned white guy in black neighborhood who was profiled. Contradict much?

It's hard to factor percentage of the population when studies have already shown that a black offender is more likely to be charged with a greater crime than a white offender. But I'm sure you already knew that.

You have gone out of your way to prove the statement "Whites commit crimes, but only blacks are criminals." Congrats.

Idk if anyone posted about it, but the south bend and surrounding cops are kinda pissed...there is an officer in either South Bend or Mishawaka who also owns a printing shop (or something of that nature), and he responded by selling a shirt that reads: "Breathe easy, Obey the law"

Edited by TheGipperSB