Hobbies?

I have recently gotten a bird dog a Brittany and I entered her in a hunt test this past weekend. It was my first time and I totally failed at what I was supposed to do but she did ok, but hey we are learning. That is one of my new hobbies is working with her and trying to train her with the help of my wives family who are big into the sport. I also have a son that is a Bear in cubscouts and I became the den leader this year and it is actually a lot more fun then I thought it was going to be. We love scouts it is some awesome father/son time!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real hunting is killing something that can kill you back. Comeback with a bear's head and I'll be impressed.

ย 

This makes me laugh. Do not take offense, but have you ever went hunting or ate wild game? I would guess no from this response. Hunting from the beginning of time was usually done to provide meat for the group/tribe, not to go out and kill the baddest a$$ animal you could find. That only happens when a group had a rogue tiger or other apex predator dragging tribe children off for dinner. Furthermore, apex predator meat taste like **** in most cases.. Bear is greasy as heck, coyote is like eating a hound dog, and I could only guess what a big cat would taste like. Being a man has nothing to do with what I hunt for and how I kill it, I would argue that I have more of a vested interest in the environment than most because of my love for nature. I have nothing to prove by hunting wild game, hell I could go to the store and buy beef for just a little more than what it costs me to process a deer. I get up at 530 am and go wait 20 feet up in a tree for a deer to come within range, then if I am so lucky to have a shot and hit on it, I then have to cut it open and pull its innards out all by myself. Getting in a stand and getting away from life for a few hours is my return to normal.

Woodworking/carpentry and landscaping. My latest projects were a small porch for the house and a critter gate for a vet friend of mine in Iowa.

ย 

Porch:

ย 

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/DaveK913/porch1_zps8a0c0b42.jpg

ย 

Gate:

ย 

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/DaveK913/gate2_zps586353da.jpg

ย 

Yard:

ย 

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/DaveK913/housewporch_zpsd5688a32.jpg

ย 

I'm happiest with the landscaping. I started by removing around 600 sq. ft. of grass around eight years ago to make that bed in front and it's been something of a work in progress ever since.

ย 

I used to do more decorative woodworking but don't have the time these days. My avatar is an example of an intarsia piece I made nine or ten years ago. Every color is an individual piece of wood stained differently to portray an image.

I use an ecig as well, I haven't started building my own though. I just use an aspire tank and spinner batteries. Haven't had a cigarette in about 6 months and can honestly say I don't want them anymore.

ย 

Building is fun but it gets old after a little bit. It's definitely a whole different world from Aspire BDCs and ProTanks (which I also rebuild b/c cheap) but where I've found my greatest enjoyment so far in the year I've been using my ecig is with making my own e-liquid. It kinda goes hand in hand with cooking in a lot of ways.

I share custody of my 2 children and fortunate to have the time to indulge. I like to camp, hike, surf, cook, wine taste, play poker, coach little league and basketball, and go out to dinner with my ladies. Never been hunting beyond squirrels and dove. Always wanted to try Turkey, Boar and Deer. Someday. And of course... ND Football. I collect NFL HOF player jerseys too.

Shooting a gun is awesome, however cleaning a gun sucks and so does picking up the brass. I HATE cleaning the assault rifle, tough son of a B!tch!

ย 

Ha, you think picking up brass sucks, try firing an M-60 from a prone position and having a hot casing fly up, land on the back of your neck and roll down to rest under your collar.

ย 

GTs.

This makes me laugh. Do not take offense, but have you ever went hunting or ate wild game? I would guess no from this response. Hunting from the beginning of time was usually done to provide meat for the group/tribe, not to go out and kill the baddest a$$ animal you could find. That only happens when a group had a rogue tiger or other apex predator dragging tribe children off for dinner. Furthermore, apex predator meat taste like **** in most cases.. Bear is greasy as heck, coyote is like eating a hound dog, and I could only guess what a big cat would taste like. Being a man has nothing to do with what I hunt for and how I kill it, I would argue that I have more of a vested interest in the environment than most because of my love for nature. I have nothing to prove by hunting wild game, hell I could go to the store and buy beef for just a little more than what it costs me to process a deer. I get up at 530 am and go wait 20 feet up in a tree for a deer to come within range, then if I am so lucky to have a shot and hit on it, I then have to cut it open and pull its innards out all by myself. Getting in a stand and getting away from life for a few hours is my return to normal.

ย 

That was part in jest. I can certainly respect the marksmanship involved and it is necessary to help keep the population in control. I haven't been hunting, but I'd love to go after boar. Unfortunately, they're not prevalent in the Midwest.

That was part in jest. I can certainly respect the marksmanship involved and it is necessary to help keep the population in control. I haven't been hunting, but I'd love to go after boar. Unfortunately, they're not prevalent in the Midwest.

ย 

Don't kid yourself. I have been to the Midwest plenty of times and there are lots of pigs there. :drum:

woodworking/carpentry and landscaping. My latest projects were a small porch for the house and a critter gate for a vet friend of mine in iowa.

ย 

Porch:

ย 

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/davek913/porch1_zps8a0c0b42.jpg

ย 

gate:

ย 

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/davek913/gate2_zps586353da.jpg

ย 

yard:

ย 

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/davek913/housewporch_zpsd5688a32.jpg

ย 

i'm happiest with the landscaping. I started by removing around 600 sq. Ft. Of grass around eight years ago to make that bed in front and it's been something of a work in progress ever since.

ย 

I used to do more decorative woodworking but don't have the time these days. My avatar is an example of an intarsia piece i made nine or ten years ago. Every color is an individual piece of wood stained differently to portray an image.

ย 

GO CAVEMEN!!!

ย 

I golf (not very well), bowl (better than I golf), fishing with my boys (I fly fish, they bait fish.....or bait feed the fish), working out (lost 80lbs since January), running when time and weather allows. Biggest hobby is anything Notre Dame!!!

Edited by tj4ndirish

I'm 42 and I've never held a gun, let alone fired one.

ย 

Three kids keeps me busy. Rarely have time for art or with preserving my Irish video collection.

ย 

Homebrewing and growing horseradish are the only real hobbies I have left...

ย 

Same here...42...grew up in the city but never saw a gun until I went off to college with hunters.

ย 

3 kids, but a bunch of new free time that is spent with my family.

image.thumb.jpg.9ed28cbb2d55fa364f49fc54fa997f12.jpg