Hobbies?

Any model airplane builders? My girlfriend still laughs at me but she has no idea

Watch "Empire of the Sun \\ P-51 Cadillac of the Skies" on YouTube

Empire of the Sun \\ P-51 Cadillac of the Skies: http://youtu.be/VNTQSbvlutg

My Great Uncle flew with the 118 TRS Squadron during WWII, and has a cofirmed air to air kill, a Japanese Oscar in the CBI. He passed away years ago but I only wished I asked him more questions. Especially since I fell in love with the P51 Mustang. He flew the P40N/Q and P51 B and C along with F6 versions after originally being trained on the P39 Airacobras, the original tank killer because of the 30 mm in the nose. Anyways all in combat, including flying "the hump" and flew wingman with Tex Hill. An original Flying Tiger.

Here's a pretty famous movie scene of his Squadron, although fictional because obviously Batman was not in China. For whatever reason it kept posting above.

Edited by GunSlinger

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to build model planes when I was a boy, usually the Revell kits. My father was in the Army Air Corps in WWII but he served in the Atlantic theater. North Africa, southern Europe and The Mediterranean.

There are some real good kits out there. For whatever reason I really enjoy it, especially adding weathering and exhaust stains.

There are some real good kits out there. For whatever reason I really enjoy it, especially adding weathering and exhaust stains.

I should probably get back into models. You can only do so much woodworking in an unheated garage workshop during winter here. Glue, paint, stains all need to be a certain temperature to cure but something on a smaller scale I could work on inside. Either that or get back into intarsia but I would need a new scroll saw.

Back in 2000 I made a wooden dollhouse for my mother because she always said it was the one thing she wished she had as a little girl but that was during The Great Depression and they were poor. When she left us in 2010, it passed on to two of my great nieces. I enjoy knowing something I made will be passed down through the family like that.

Edited by Irish_Convert

My uncle died in a plane crash flying for the Canadian Air Force. Am trying to track down info on the plane he was flying and hoping that someone will build a replica for a shadowbox display of all his war memorabilia I have.

After getting to know some of the members here better during game day chat and the davislove thread, I wanted to see what some of you did for hobbies. I am really into hunting, fishing and firearms in general. I like to hunt deer and coyotes the most, I either make jerky or sausage out of the deer meat. This weekend will be my first weekend hunting deer this year as I have had to get a bunch of work done around the house and haven't been able to get out hunting much. Below is a picture of yours truly with my biggest buck ever. Notice the lucky ND sweatshirt that was worn during the hunt. For the ladys of this site and VC, I am already taken, lol.

How many points? When I was a kid, my neighbor made Deer Jerky all the time. We used to beg for it, lol. I tell my wife and kids about it to this day.

Woodworking/carpentry and landscaping. My latest projects were a small porch for the house and a critter gate for a vet friend of mine in Iowa.

Porch:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/DaveK913/porch1_zps8a0c0b42.jpg

Gate:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/DaveK913/gate2_zps586353da.jpg

Yard:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h49/DaveK913/housewporch_zpsd5688a32.jpg

I'm happiest with the landscaping. I started by removing around 600 sq. ft. of grass around eight years ago to make that bed in front and it's been something of a work in progress ever since.

I used to do more decorative woodworking but don't have the time these days. My avatar is an example of an intarsia piece I made nine or ten years ago. Every color is an individual piece of wood stained differently to portray an image.

Hey, do you live on 7th around the bend going to 8th St. off Laurel?

First time I have seen this thread. AWESOME! :grin: How many points? When I was a kid, my neighbor made Deer Jerky all the time. We used to beg for it, lol. I tell my wife and kids about it to this day.

It is a ten point and weighed 238lbs field dresses.