Redskins is Racist?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, I guess Seminoles take pride that the State University took their tribe name as their symbol.

Red Skins..not so much. It addresses a culture by their skin color.

I guess the appropriate question is, let's say a football team was awarded to LA (or wherever) today. Would it be PC to call them Red Skins (or any other color?)

Given the horrendous screwing the Native Americans received by the colonials, I say ask them. If they say it is racist, change it. It is the least that can be done.

Being an American with Irish ancestry, I could care less about how Irish people are depicted, especially given how accurate the stereotypes are.

As a sidebar, on the way to work today I saw a car that had ND Dad sticker right above a USC Dad sticker, that has to be a fun football season.

Given the horrendous screwing the Native Americans received by the colonials, I say ask them. If they say it is racist, change it. It is the least that can be done.

Being an American with Irish ancestry, I could care less about how Irish people are depicted, especially given how accurate the stereotypes are.

As a sidebar, on the way to work today I saw a car that had ND Dad sticker right above a USC Dad sticker, that has to be a fun football season.

I highly doubt that the two dads are allowing their kid to watch football.... Most likely playing dress up or tea party princess time.

When I finish this pint of Guinness, shot of Jameson and plate of boxty, my ginger hair and freckles are going to take you outside for some fisticuffs.

I highly doubt that the two dads are allowing their kid to watch football.... Most likely playing dress up or tea party princess time.

1) Homophobia is unbecoming

2) It was more likely one dad with 2 children (one of whom went to ND, the other to USC, ergo ND Dad and USC Dad all rolled into one)

To the topic on hand- Yes, the name Redskins is really racist. I put them on the same level as these (made-up, of course) names:

http://newyorkjews.org/images/Hats.jpg

2) It was more likely one dad with 2 children (one of whom went to ND, the other to USC, ergo ND Dad and USC Dad all rolled into one)

To the topic on hand- Yes, the name Redskins is really racist. I put them on the same level as these (made-up, of course) names:

Aww, did I strike a nerve? Lighten up Francis.:-P I knew what he meant, just for fun.

BTW, big fan of the San Fran club, they are going far this year.

Aww, did I strike a nerve? Lighten up Francis.:-P I knew what he meant, just for fun.

BTW, big fan of the San Fran club, they are going far this year.

Didn't strike a nerve. Idgaf about your opinions. I just tend to call out people when their bigotry approaches Donald Sterling levels.

:( I laughed and now I am going to hell. Thanks.

Is Redskins really at the same level of 'Jews" and "Chinamen"? My thought is that those names are less derogatory than "Redskins".

Is Redskins really at the same level of 'Jews" and "Chinamen"? My thought is that those names are less derogatory than "Redskins".

I wouldn't try to debate with him if I were you. A total poke fun joke and he will label you as a bigot. I mean an off the cuff joke can be compared to a 20 minute rant of why you shouldn't hang out with blacks is going to put you on the same level of hatred as Sterling. Even if you have friends that are, wait for it....., GAY, you are going to be a damn bigot. I wouldn't know anything about that though, I only have two people that I consider friends that are gay, and those two have been together for over ten years. Needless to say, or not, we have many conversations, and they have great senses of humor, unlike the person that thinks I am a bigot.

I wouldn't try to debate with him if I were you. A total poke fun joke and he will label you as a bigot. I mean an off the cuff joke can be compared to a 20 minute rant of why you shouldn't hang out with blacks is going to put you on the same level of hatred as Sterling. Even if you have friends that are, wait for it....., GAY, you are going to be a damn bigot. I wouldn't know anything about that though, I only have two people that I consider friends that are gay, and those two have been together for over ten years. Needless to say, or not, we have many conversations, and they have great senses of humor, unlike the person that thinks I am a bigot.

Wow... OK let's talk about this.

Many, many times, I have heard comments like yours without an iota of sarcasm or humor. I've seen them spoken directly in front of my gay friends. It's completely inappropriate and, frankly, it's hurtful. I do feel the need to help defend a group that is so often treated like dirt.

I don't care about jokes, those are fine. I make gay jokes all the time.

But we're on the internet here. You can't see your audience, and I can't see the poster. So without any context, I tend to assume comments like that are derogatory. Call it once bitten, twice shy.

So I'm sorry there was a miscommunication above. I will not apologize for my reaction, though.

Wow... OK let's talk about this.

Many, many times, I have heard comments like yours without an iota of sarcasm or humor. I've seen them spoken directly in front of my gay friends. It's completely inappropriate and, frankly, it's hurtful. I do feel the need to help defend a group that is so often treated like dirt.

I don't care about jokes, those are fine. I make gay jokes all the time.

But we're on the internet here. You can't see your audience, and I can't see the poster. So without any context, I tend to assume comments like that are derogatory. Call it once bitten, twice shy.

So I'm sorry there was a miscommunication above. I will not apologize for my reaction, though.

Fair enough, I can see where you are coming from. Have a good one.

Personally, I don't think the name is racist. I have read where a majority of Native Americans don't find it racist either, for example this article

http://voices.yahoo.com/is-redskins-name-offensive-native-americans-4710337.html

When I went to high school, we were know as the Marshall Redskins. The school was forced to change the mascot name several years ago...now they are the Redhawks which is lame in my opinion.

I do agree with what someone mentioned earlier....ask the Native Americans. This shouldn't be decided by someone with no stake in the matter....like the one lady who brought the lawsuit against the school in my home town. She wasn't from Marshall and to my knowledge hasn't been back in the 10+ years since this happened.

Nothin' like good ol' fashion white guilt to spark a needless debate.

Is it the suffix of "skin" that makes it racist? Because I get called white, classify myself as white and yet my skin color is more of a pasty tan.

I love how these ethnic groups focus on the dumbest things and white guilt liberals lap it up. "Let's spend money and worry about the name of a sports franchise!" While Native American unemployment rates are double the national average. 11.7% of Native American deaths are directly linked to alcohol. They double the national average of persons addicted to hard drugs. Their poverty rate is at 26%, compared to 11%.

But let's dedicate time and effort to changing the redskins!

Is it the suffix of "skin" that makes it racist? Because I get called white, classify myself as white and yet my skin color is more of a pasty tan.

I love how these ethnic groups focus on the dumbest things and white guilt liberals lap it up. "Let's spend money and worry about the name of a sports franchise!" While Native American unemployment rates are double the national average. 11.7% of Native American deaths are directly linked to alcohol. They double the national average of persons addicted to hard drugs. Their poverty rate is at 26%, compared to 11%.

ding ding ding

Well said sir!!!

The Redskins logo is anything but offensive. It's noble and kick ***, just like the Blackhawks logo. It makes Indians look good imo. The name and logo is not meant to offend, and I bet a lot of the opposition is simply cheap pc opportunism. If its bad for business, Snyder will get rid of it, but not until then.