Redskins is Racist?

The Redskins logo is anything but offensive. It's noble and kick ***, just like the Blackhawks logo. It makes Indians look good imo. The name and logo is not meant to offend, and I bet a lot of the opposition is simply cheap pc opportunism. If its bad for business, Snyder will get rid of it, but not until then.

we had a kick *** logo also. if you open the link.

old logo on left, new on right for redhawks

http://michiganradio.org/post/civil-rights-complaint-ignites-debate-over-native-american-mascots

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how these ethnic groups focus on the dumbest things and white guilt liberals lap it up.

understand your point but maybe it isn't dumb to the ethnic group, maybe it's distasteful to see their culture used as a slogan.

as for the liberals....not like the conservatives will carry that torch.

I say this as a Blackhawks fan...GO HAWKS!!

I don't understand why it is dumb.

It might be dumb in your opinion. But it might offend someone else.

If something deeply offended you and someone said, "get over it dude," would you be happy?

Anything offends someone. Imagine a world where if something offends someone, we change it...

This is dumb. I'm glad things are going so well for the tribes across America that THIS is what that dumpy activist Suzan Shown Harjo, decides to champion. This dumb broad decided her life calling is make sure Indians are portrayed exactly how she wants them to be. Neglecting the fact many reservations are rife with meth and a graduation that makes the Detroit Public Schools blush.

Roughly 51 percent of Native American students in the class of 2010 earned a high school diploma.

In Alaska, where about 20 percent of the total student body is American Indian, the graduation rate for the demographic group was only 42.5 percent in 2010, according to the report.

Performance in South Dakota is even worse. In 2010, less than one-third of Native American students earned a diploma, the report notes. This student group accounts for about 15 percent of the state's students, according to NCES.

But let's fight this. Let's make sure a sports team, who's name happens to offend a minority of a minority, changes that name.

What an absolute waste of time. The amount of money, time and effort spent lobbying for the Washington Redskins to change their name could have been spent on keeping kids in schools and off drugs. What a joke.

Edited by piratey

Anything offends someone. Imagine a world where if something offends someone, we change it...

This is dumb. I'm glad things are going so well for the tribes across America that THIS is what that dumpy activist Suzan Shown Harjo, decides to champion. This dumb broad decided her life calling is make sure Indians are portrayed exactly how she wants them to be. Neglecting the fact many reservations are rife with meth and a graduation that makes the Detroit Public Schools blush.

But let's fight this. Let's make sure a sports team, who's name happens to offend a minority of a minority, changes that name.

What an absolute waste of time. The amount of money, time and effort spent lobbying for the Washington Redskins to change their name could have been spent on keeping kids in schools and off drugs. What a joke.

lol dumb broad....ai yayay

why assume that the only action taken by Native Americans is going after sports teams?

like a typical right-winger, you make it an all or nothing position. not necessarily true

lol dumb broad....ai yayay

why assume that the only action taken by Native Americans is going after sports teams?

like a typical right-winger, you make it an all or nothing position. not necessarily true

Hardly a right-winger, unless we're classifying libertarians as right-wingers now.

I am not assuming anything at all actually. I am pointing out a fact, that instead of fixing actual problems, there are people who would rather draw attention to this. Did you know almost half of Native Americans graduate high school? I bet you didn't. But you sure know that the Washington mascot is racist. Let's draw attention to that, instead of the real issues. Let's not talk about a community rife with substance abuse and poverty. Let's change sports team names.

That's my whole point. My point is to focus on things that matter. When you only have 3 million people, your resources are pretty thin as is, focus on the stuff that impacts lives.

the problems on a reservation is another issue. it is also important and deserves time and energy.

this issue is about striking down racism and stereotypes.

if you are against all racism, you have to stand up against it.

you all can debate whether the name is racist or not.

but you can't be selective in which racism you fight. you have to stand against all of it.

I am pointing out a fact, that instead of fixing actual problems, there are people who would rather draw attention to this. Did you know almost half of Native Americans graduate high school? I bet you didn't. But you sure know that the Washington mascot is racist. Let's draw attention to that, instead of the real issues. Let's not talk about a community rife with substance abuse and poverty. Let's change sports team names.

It's also a fact that there are Native Americans that are drawing attention to other issues w/in their culture that have nothing to do with sports teams or mascots. Perhaps this is the story that the media follows most closely.

Pointing out low grad rates for Native Americans in a discussion about the Redskins is deflection. How would Dan Snyder look taking that angle?

I agree that it should be up to people of that culture if it should be changed. Just think, would a brand spanking new club take a name of that sort?

Let's see....

If I am going to create a team and have a mascot and a logo and a name....what should I do?

1) Think of a group to make fun of and degrade

of course not.

or

2) Think of a group of (perceived to be) fierce fighters, wise, in touch with nature and command respect and will strike fear in my enemies (other teams).....

I think when they chose the name Redskins it was a compliment. Nobody wants a team name or mascot that is weak or degrading.

THEY (Redskins) called the colonials, 'the white man', not colonials. Guess what...they were white.

Redskins, Indians, Warriors, Redmen, Braves

Those are all some pretty Bad a$$ mascots.

But, my opinion doesn't count, I'm white, mostly. Scots-Irish mostly with a tad of Cherokee.

From what I understand , the original name of the team were the BRAVES--I think it was the boston braves---in 1933 the name was changed to the redskins when they went to Washington----apparently the head coach at the time was part SIOUX and thus the name , at least that's the story.

Clearly the original name was NOT intended as anything but a reflection of " lions and tigers and bears oh my" ---and the owners idea of a cool name for his team, a far cry from anything meant as racist.

That said--things change---nobody really likes to be called and nobody really likes to hear KIKE, POLLOCK, HEEB,WAP---

All that stuff has been flushed away for the most part yet all were flourishing years back---I doubt we would keep our name if we were the FIGHTING KIKES--:grin:---

So IMHO I doubt it would upset the apple cart too much to change the name BACK to its original "BRAVES" that keeps the indian motif without the implied pejorative that REDSKIN obviously conveys.

The intention behind the name was never meant to be racist , I think the history on that is clear--but the word really is racist and given the sad history we have with native amerians I don't think it would be a HUGE CULTURAL BLOW to just change it.

aloha's

Let's see....

If I am going to create a team and have a mascot and a logo and a name....what should I do?

1) Think of a group to make fun of and degrade

of course not.

or

2) Think of a group of (perceived to be) fierce fighters, wise, in touch with nature and command respect and will strike fear in my enemies (other teams).....

I think when they chose the name Redskins it was a compliment. Nobody wants a team name or mascot that is weak or degrading.

THEY (Redskins) called the colonials, 'the white man', not colonials. Guess what...they were white.

Redskins, Indians, Warriors, Redmen, Braves

Those are all some pretty Bad a$$ mascots.

But, my opinion doesn't count, I'm white, mostly. Scots-Irish mostly with a tad of Cherokee.

Good post! People need to worry about real issues. I hope they don't change it the redskins name = badass=compliment

It's also a fact that there are Native Americans that are drawing attention to other issues w/in their culture that have nothing to do with sports teams or mascots. Perhaps this is the story that the media follows most closely.

Pointing out low grad rates for Native Americans in a discussion about the Redskins is deflection. How would Dan Snyder look taking that angle?

I agree that it should be up to people of that culture if it should be changed. Just think, would a brand spanking new club take a name of that sort?

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but white people have absolutely NO right WHATSOEVER to tell Native Americans that they shouldn't be offended by a team name that also doubles as a racial slur against them.

There's a fairly well-known Indian Nations university near where I live in Kansas City. What if they decided that their sports teams should be called the "Genocidal Pale Faces"? Would white people be justified in taking offense to that? Or should they simply "get over it"? What if only a "small minority" of white people are offended by it?

And one more point: NO, not everything is blatantly offensive to an entire racial/ethnic group. So that fact that a few idiots probably take offense to most things is not a valid argument in this case.

Ding, Ding, Ding. We have a winner!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but white people have absolutely NO right WHATSOEVER to tell Native Americans that they shouldn't be offended by a team name that also doubles as a racial slur against them.

There's a fairly well-known Indian Nations university near where I live in Kansas City. What if they decided that their sports teams should be called the "Genocidal Pale Faces"? Would white people be justified in taking offense to that? Or should they simply "get over it"? What if only a "small minority" of white people are offended by it?

And one more point: NO, not everything is blatantly offensive to an entire racial/ethnic group. So that fact that a few idiots probably take offense to most things is not a valid argument in this case.

Honestly? No white person would give a damn. Not a single one. Let's say Bismark, North Dakota got a hockey team. Named them the Fightin' Whitey's. Do you have any idea how fast that merchandise would sell out? I would buy a Fightin' Whitey's uni in a heart beat. That's hilarious.

http://www.bluecorncomics.com/pics/whites.jpg

I'm comfortable in my identity. I don't adhere to stereotypes. Should I be offended when a black person refers to my "race" as crackers? That could be horribly offensive, as it means "Whip-cracker" as in slave owner. My family didn't come to America until after the Irish War of Independence in 1921. I have no ties to slavery. Yet by calling me a cracker, i get lumped in. I don't care. Slavery was 150 years ago. Who cares what people call me?

If the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish, had been called the Notre Dame Fightin' French(har har) they wouldn't have half the fanbase they do now.

Boo hoo. It's nothing like the N word, there isn't a century of oppression tied directly to the word redskin. The funniest part of this whole stupid discussion, is the people who seem the most outraged are journalist and white people.

Edited by piratey

"I'm offended" means I can't control my emotions and live my life based on what others think about me.

There are hundreds of off putting Irish jokes. Dozens of bad stereotypes. Plenty of slurs. The Irish were shat on for decades in America.

Seems I have as much right as anyone to be in an uproar, but I really don't care, it has no bearing on my day to day life.