Redskins is Racist?

Boo hoo. It's nothing like the N word, there isn't a century of oppression tied directly to the word redskin. The funniest part of this whole stupid discussion, is the people who seem the most outraged are journalist and white people.

Didn't really get much "rage" reading this thread but with the "dumb broad" comment and repeated use of stupid, I think you're the most outraged.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't really get much "rage" reading this thread but with the "dumb broad" comment and repeated use of stupid, I think you're the most outraged.

No rage in the thread, just the issue in general. Most the people who are up in arms over this whole deal are white journalists like Peter King and Bob Costas.

No rage in the thread, just the issue in general. Most the people who are up in arms over this whole deal are white journalists like Peter King and Bob Costas.

yup, only white journalists care about the name.

and it shouldnt matter who is up in arms over this. every race should stand up against racism.we cant throw a "who cares" at an issue just because you dont agree it should be one.

piratey, you are better than that. use that google tool you like so much.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/27/native-american-leaders-speak-out-against-redskins-name/

here are more search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=native+americans+against+redskins&oq=native+americans+against+redskins&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.3526j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Parseghian's theorem

Mike Florio is said white journalist...part of the NBC family of pot stirrers Bob Costas and Peter King. I mean that IS your Football Night in America halftime show...

That Sault Tribe of Chippewa lady, in what you listed, is a known "Rable Rouser" The Sault Tribe tried to get Central Michigan to change their name from the Chippewa's a while back. The Saginaw Valley Tribe refuted it and allowed the university to keep the name.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/01/31/goodell-redskins-name/5081573/

Goodell was asked by USA TODAY Sports about how the controversy over the Washington Redskins name has ramped up this past year. His stance and the team's stance are known. What is not known, however, is whether Goodell would feel comfortable addressing an American Indian as a "Redskin" to his or her face?

"I spent the last year talking to many of the leaders of the Native American community," Goodell said. "We are listening and we are trying to make sure we understand the issues.

"But let me remind you: This is the name of a football team, a football team that has had that name for 80 years. That has presented the name in a way that is honorable to Native Americans. We recognize that many don't agree with the name. And we respect that.

"But if you look at the numbers, including the Native American communities, the Native American community poll, nine out of 10 prefer the name – eight of 10 Americans in the general population would not like us to change the name. So we are listening and being respectful to people who disagree."

So according to the NFL's research, the approval rating of the term Redskins is HIGHER among Native American's than it is among the general population...which was one of my points....

http://www.wusa9.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/01/31/goodell-redskins-name/5081573/

So according to the NFL's research, the approval rating of the term Redskins is HIGHER among Native American's than it is among the general population...which was one of my points....

goodell just gave that "NFL research" in a quote. I didn't see the article talking about how the NFL compiled the information or the sample size or where they got the numbers. might have missed it though.

If a black man had named his sports franchise the "blacks" as an honor to his heritage and that had been the name since 1900, would it stand up today?

Anybody got some Redskins tickets I can scalp?

and see. this is a great example.

I know ND1baby is totally joking.

what if Daniel Snyder made a joke like this in a private conversation that was recorded and released? would he be labeled a racist

why is it less PC to make derogatory jokes about blacks than native americans? it just doesn't make sense to me.

but how many black jokes are made on this board.

next to none. are there native americans on this board that would take offense to that comment? who knows?

you might be joking, but someone might be pissed off about it. you might say who, cares. they might want to punch you in the face.

goodell just gave that "NFL research" in a quote. I didn't see the article talking about how the NFL compiled the information or the sample size or where they got the numbers. might have missed it though.

If a black man had named his sports franchise the "blacks" as an honor to his heritage and that had been the name since 1900, would it stand up today?

Apparently, it would.

It's their own group and it's called 'colored'. that stands today. I'm white (mostly....more than the Presidents 50% anyway), so my opinion is meaningless, but I think colored is more offensive than black.

National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People. :yo:

Edited by MantyIrish

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an email sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page...

I always love your articles. and I generally agree with them. I would suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the "Foreskins"

to better represent their community, the nation’s capitol, paying tribute to the dick heads in Congress.

Here are some other politically correct issues to consider: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional

football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political

correctness and courtesy, we must move forward. Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans

Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings,

the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even

spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates . Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . .

As a diehard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's

athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers."

The name isn't changing. It was originated by Native Americans for the team, and most Native Americans don't find it offensive. Skins are the 2nd most lucrative team in the NFL. Dallas and Washington are in a different hemisphere when it's come to profitability compared to other NFL franchises. Goodell isn't going to mess with that. The name is woven into the franchise's history, culture, and future.

HTTR (Hail to the Redskins)

• 3 weeks later...
How does everyone feel today?

I am pretty disgusted that the big arm of our government leaned on the patents department to do this. A troubling day when this can be done. So much for due process. Smells like Harry Reid.