Notre Dame to Accept Illegal Immigrants

As one of the few right wing conservatives in California, I find myself rather meh to the whole situation. I didn't have to do anything to earn my citizenship, so...

I have thought quite a bit about the immigration issue and there is really no good solid answer. The country was formed by immigrants (Who alley whipped the indigenous population) and at some point they banded together and said no more immigrants? Wackiness.

Immigration needs reform, some method of determining who makes a good addition and who does not, there is no boiler plate solution. I think this is step in the right direction. Why? Because any illegal immigrant who can get into ND is more likely to make a positive impact on our society, or their society if they choose to return to their own country.

Here in CA, illegal immigrants have been clothed, educated, vaccinated, and compensated for a lot of years (much to the chagrin of my agitated empty wallet) so I just don't see a huge impact.

At the end of the day whenever you get upset about ND doing something you don't agree with remember: Notre Dame is a liberal arts college at it's core. While we tend to associate the religious doctrine with fundamental conservative values, it does not.

I am not for illegal immigration, but I don't see this as a major issue.

My 2c

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I applied to the Univeristy when I was a H.S. senior, I graduated with a 3.65 gpa and scored a 29 on my ACT test and I am Catholic. I was denied admission! Now hearing this, how many other qualified American students will not be let in?

I for one am not in favor of this, but apparently I don't matter to ND. I have been a fan through good times and bad but can't help but feel like this is a step in the wrong direction.

If I am beat out by a more qualified citizen who is there legally, I get it. When an undocumented or illegal citizen can take my spot, I have a problem.

This is bull crap. If a legal kid of whatever country has a felony on his high school resume, there's no way in HELL he gets into Notre Dame. By coming here illegally, these kids have already broken the law. The trust that they will abide by any code of student conduct is completely undermined.

I take particular offense because I have three different relatives who are here legally who are still going through the process of becoming citizens. IT ISN'T EASY!

F the illegals. And for the liberal F'ers who try to say this is a nation of immigrants, you're misconstruing the entire argument as you lying dicks always do. Nobody is against immigrants. We're against illegal immigrants who begin their lives in the U.S. by breaking our laws. I can't wait until an insurgent slips across and does some real damage so we finally have some real backlash and action against these people.

If the illegals put as much self-determination and work into their own countries as they do breaking into ours, maybe they wouldn't have to cheat the system. If their countries are too awful to live in, that's why international law has political asylum for refugees. There are avenues, but we shouldn't reward illegals or their families for **** poor behavior.

You can and should punish the kids to teach the parents and their relatives that crime doesn't go unpunished. If I was still at school and knew one of my classmates was illegal, they'd get it from me every single day, along with the idiots who defend them. Catholicism is about accountability, not wide open liberalism. There are rewards for being a good citizen and consequences for being a bad citizen.

Here in CA, illegal immigrants have been clothed, educated, vaccinated, and compensated for a lot of years (much to the chagrin of my agitated empty wallet) so I just don't see a huge impact.

My 2c

UMMM...have you looked at California's balance sheet lately? The state is practically bankrupt. I'm sure it doesn't help to have the tax base supporting several million illegals.

I, as a member of the few, am all for it. I think it is in perfect alignment to the Catholic faith and Notre Dame. Illegal immigrants have become an important part to the backbone of our country.

- They work in jobs that American's won't do.

- They work for pay that American's won't accept.

- They make food and goods affordable to the poor in this country.

- They make food available to the fortunate in this country.

I imagine that the majority of anyone ND would be looking for is likely a kid of a migrant worker. Is it the kids fault that their parent had no other choice but to take a low-paying job, working in the fields, living in often-terrible conditions, following the weather around the US for work?

On top of that, how is this any different than considering students from another country? An illegal immigrant becomes legal the moment that ND accepts them (they can then be granted a student visa and will therefore be 'legal'.)

These kids have every right to attend Notre Dame as I do.

Illegal immigrants are allowed to work in the US because we need them. The country would not survive without them. We purposefully turn a blind-eye to the reality of the situation that - allowing them be "illegal" allows us to avoid paying them a fair wage; giving them proper living conditions; and treating them with the fairness they deserve.

I, as a member of the few, am all for it. I think it is in perfect alignment to the Catholic faith and Notre Dame. Illegal immigrants have become an important part to the backbone of our country.

I imagine that the majority of anyone ND would be looking for is likely a kid of a migrant worker. Is it the kids fault that their parent had no other choice but to take a low-paying job, working in the fields, living in often-terrible conditions, following the weather around the US for work?

On top of that, how is this any different than considering students from another country? An illegal immigrant becomes legal the moment that ND accepts them (they can then be granted a student visa and will therefore be 'legal'.)

Illegal immigrants are allowed to work in the US because we need them. The country would not survive without them. We purposefully turn a blind-eye to the reality of the situation that - allowing them be "illegal" allows us to avoid paying them a fair wage; giving them proper living conditions; and treating them with the fairness they deserve.

I think you are right. Plus, you may not be a member of the few. There is a general sense of more tolerance regarding immigration out there although people just do not want an open border. http://www.pollingreport.com/immigration.htm

I think the many in this case are just less willing to make the damning noise that those who object to Notre Dame's actions are making.

I cannot see penalizing some kid for their parent's acts. I guess Notre Dame should engage in criminal checks on the parents of all applicants since the sins of the father are now a major issue in some people's mind.

How many children of illegal aliens are we talking about who might be successful applicants? I doubt if it is a large pool. As far as taking somebody else's spot, we have heard that before when women were accepted. Some people probably grumbled when more people of color started to be accepted. Maybe even foreign students.

Edited by REMND

This is bull crap. If a legal kid of whatever country has a felony on his high school resume, there's no way in HELL he gets into Notre Dame. By coming here illegally, these kids have already broken the law. The trust that they will abide by any code of student conduct is completely undermined.

I take particular offense because I have three different relatives who are here legally who are still going through the process of becoming citizens. IT ISN'T EASY!

F the illegals. And for the liberal F'ers who try to say this is a nation of immigrants, you're misconstruing the entire argument as you lying dicks always do. Nobody is against immigrants. We're against illegal immigrants who begin their lives in the U.S. by breaking our laws. I can't wait until an insurgent slips across and does some real damage so we finally have some real backlash and action against these people.

If the illegals put as much self-determination and work into their own countries as they do breaking into ours, maybe they wouldn't have to cheat the system. If their countries are too awful to live in, that's why international law has political asylum for refugees. There are avenues, but we shouldn't reward illegals or their families for **** poor behavior.

You can and should punish the kids to teach the parents and their relatives that crime doesn't go unpunished. If I was still at school and knew one of my classmates was illegal, they'd get it from me every single day, along with the idiots who defend them. Catholicism is about accountability, not wide open liberalism. There are rewards for being a good citizen and consequences for being a bad citizen.

There is so much to love about this post.

UMMM...have you looked at California's balance sheet lately? The state is practically bankrupt. I'm sure it doesn't help to have the tax base supporting several million illegals.

I should have qualified this to say "social impact." Obviously the poor state of our economy is lamentable on a good day.

First, there is a huge difference between a migrant worker and an illegal alien. Your second paragraph blurs that line to help make your point. If you are here on a work visa or some other cross border employment plan, I have no beef. But illegal aliens are felons, (that's a fact, not an opinion) and I don't want the sanctity of my degree tarnished by association with felons.

Second, regarding your question on "how is this different than considering students from another country" - its simple, international students are not felons, while those residing illegally in the U.S. are. The notion that study abroad programs and admission of illegal aliens are one and the same is illogical.

Third, no one has the "right" to attend ND. This isn't free speech, it's an institute that you must apply and be admitted to.

I'm not going to respond to your final point because it flows into a much more detailed debate on immigration in general, which isn't appropriate for this thread. However I'd be happy to debate that with you privately.

It's simple folks - our government defines undeclared residence on U.S. soil as a felony. These potential applicants, not just their parents, are felons. Again, these are facts, not my opinion. That said, it is my opinion that felons should not be permitted to attend Notre Dame.