Notre Dame to Accept Illegal Immigrants

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure I know how I feel on this one. PRETTY PISSED OFF.

This utter bull crap. How about we give the Homeless young people in our country the right to attend a great college. It's funny how we will take care of other countries messes but we won't even look at our own people here in the US. This is one decision I don't agree with. Notre Dame ought to be ashamed of them selves. Stop wasting students money. I know if I was a parent that was sending my kid their, I would sure think twice because I wouldn't want to pay for two kids to go to school. 2 big fat thumbs down for Notre Dame. ???

I am pretty sure I know how I feel on this one. PRETTY PISSED OFF.

This utter bull crap. How about we give the Homeless young people in our country the right to attend a great college. It's funny how we will take care of other countries messes but we won't even look at our own people here in the US. This is one decision I don't agree with. Notre Dame ought to be ashamed of them selves. Stop wasting students money. I know if I was a parent that was sending my kid their, I would sure think twice because I wouldn't want to pay for two kids to go to school. 2 big fat thumbs down for Notre Dame. ???

Does ND have a policy against accepting the homeless of the USA?

The way I look at it ... if I traveled to another country and overstayed my visa or was there illegally I would not expect to have privileges. I would expect to be shown the door.

Universities see it differently. They want the best kids period. They don't care where they come from. That said - there needs to be a standard. Illegal is illegal.

I would not want to have my kid do everything right, score in the norm of ND, excel at this and that, and have donated to ND within the family for 50+ years to have a kid with less capability to admitted because ND is wanting to "diversify" - and my kid is a minority.

Edited by Domer Dude

The way I look at it ... if I traveled to another country and overstayed my visa or was there illegally I would not expect to have privileges. I would expect to be shown the door.

Universities see it differently. They want the best kids period. They don't care where they come from. That said - there needs to be a standard. Illegal is illegal.

I would not want to have my kid do everything right, score in the norm of ND, excel at this and that, and have donated to ND within the family for 50+ years to have a kid with less capability to admitted because ND is wanting to "diversify" - and my kid is a minority.

LOL this is a joke. These guys should be sling-shot back over the border with the same creativity given to propelling bundles of cocaine into Phoenix.....

I take it you don't mind bringing in blue chippers who can barely read and write though?

Umm what? How many ND recruits come from another country? Their ability (or inability) to read and write is a failure upon our education system and has nothing to do with the influx of foreign parasites.....

I mean, why not pay for their education too? We already pay for their sustenance and their inability to pay taxes.....

Edited by echo88

Umm what? How many ND recruits come from another country? Their ability (or inability) to read and write is a failure upon our education system and has nothing to do with the influx of foreign parasites.....

Foreign parasites? Gotcha. Think I won't waste any time on this conversation. Frankly, though, I'm surprised you root for a Catholic university; you'd probably be much more satisfied with the politics of ... say ... University of Berlin, ca. 1933-45.

Foreign parasites? Gotcha. Think I won't waste any time on this conversation. Frankly, though, I'm surprised you root for a Catholic university; you'd probably be much more satisfied with the politics of ... say ... University of Berlin, ca. 1933-45.

Yeah if you're a liberal you're wasting your time. We offer our liberties to a wider swath than what was intended.....

Edited by echo88

If you're illegal then do what everyone else had to do and pay your freaking dues! My family has fought in every US conflict since 1663. Freedom and the luxuries this country provides aren't free. Pay your dues and ill gladly call you brother.

They never will and they never will have to.

I like it. Any kid who can overcome those obstacles and qualify for ND is a good addition for the student body. That is a component of the education process. Sounds like the US Bishops are supporting it. Sounds like the administration is supporting it.

Lets see. One of the more conservative universities says it is fine. The US bishops encourage it. Some people call this outrageous. I guess the University is more concerned with attracting those students and apparently fulfilling its catholic mission then toeing the conservative ideological line.

Good for them. They really **** off both sides of the aisle in pursuing their view of their mission.

I like it. Any kid who can overcome those obstacles and qualify for ND is a good addition for the student body. That is a component of the education process. Sounds like the US Bishops are supporting it. Sounds like the administration is supporting it.

Lets see. One of the more conservative universities says it is fine. The US bishops encourage it. Some people call this outrageous. I guess the University is more concerned with attracting those students and apparently fulfilling its catholic mission then toeing the conservative ideological line.

Good for them. They really **** off both sides of the aisle in pursuing their view of their mission.

Cool. If you're smart and from a foreign country, circumventing the immigration process can net you benefits stolen from kids belonging to hard working U.S. families who can't afford to go to college. Glad they will likely use their education benefits to raise a proud non-tax paying contingent of free-loaders. But hey, at least if they don't make it they can rest easy knowing that the actual citizens of the U.S. can pay for their room and board.

Cool. If you're smart and from a foreign country, circumventing the immigration process can net you benefits stolen from kids belonging to hard working U.S. families who can't afford to go to college. Glad they will likely use their education benefits to raise a proud non-tax paying contingent of free-loaders. But hey, at least if they don't make it they can rest easy knowing that the actual citizens of the U.S. can pay for their room and board.

Echo, you've misunderstood the issue completely. Underprivileged Americans who want to go to ND are not having anything taken from them. They will continue to get financial aid from ND, just as will undocumented students. ND is a private university that provides financial assistance to 75% of its students (not just non-Americans). So tell me, what exactly are undocumented students stealing? And why do you personally take such offense at a private entity investing its 6-billion-dollar endowment in scholarships?

Echo, you've misunderstood the issue completely. Underprivileged Americans who want to go to ND are not having anything taken from them. They will continue to get financial aid from ND, just as will undocumented students. ND is a private university that provides financial assistance to 75% of its students (not just non-Americans). So tell me, what exactly are undocumented students stealing? And why do you personally take such offense at a private entity investing its 6-billion-dollar endowment in scholarships?

Actually, if undocumented immigrants get a single spot in an incoming class, it will take a single spot away from someone. You realize there is a limit to the number of incoming students, right?

Actually, if undocumented immigrants get a single spot in an incoming class, it will take a single spot away from someone. You realize there is a limit to the number of incoming students, right?

If a foreign student gets in, the result is the same. Should we exclude them as well?

Any objection people have with this has already been vetted by the administration and the US Bishops. It is pretty clear that they decided their mission in education trumps right wing dogma just like they do when they make decisions that go in the face of left wing sentiments.

I am curious I what the numbers are.

id have to agree that only legal americans should benefit first.

but notre dame is a private institution and can do whatever it wants.

As RemND said, the same is true of any foreign student. But we can extend the analogy further: do you think that Indiana natives should have first dibs on admission, given that applicants from other states would be stealing their spot? Should Catholics have first dibs? Should male applicants have first dibs? Obviously the nature of the institution determines how that institution responds to those questions and how it weighs the relative importance of each question.

If it were a state school funded by tax dollars, I would be far more inclined to agree with you; but your argument is tantamount to me telling you that your personal financial decisions are unfair to the rest of the nation's citizens because they aren't benefiting all of us. This would only be justifiable, of course, if the tax-paying citizenry paid an Echo88 tax.