north carolina legislates ban on gay marriage

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty pathetic. so much for the conservative line "keeping the government out of our business" i guess its ok when its something you are all in favor of..

weak ass minded religious tards

Seriously?? Gov't has been in your business LONG before this was passed and even before you were born even down to telling you that you must wear a seatbelt or helmet and what you must do to your property. Same sex marriage has been illegal in NC this ammendment just further refined the definition of what marriage is in NC. Obviously, it is what the general population wanted (not just the religous sector) since it passed by an overwhelming margin. If you don't agree with that you need to move to a non-democratic society that doesn't believe in doing what the majority wants. Maybe you can be dictator and make the populus follow your beliefs!!

Seriously?? Gov't has been in your business LONG before this was passed and even before you were born even down to telling you that you must wear a seatbelt or helmet and what you must do to your property. Same sex marriage has been illegal in NC this ammendment just further refined the definition of what marriage is in NC. Obviously' date=' it is what the general population wanted (not just the religous sector) since it passed by an overwhelming margin. If you don't agree with that you need to move to a non-democratic society that doesn't believe in doing what the majority wants. Maybe you can be dictator and make the populus follow your beliefs!![/quote']

A democratic society isn't designed to just "do what the majority wants." In fact, our country was set up by various minorities who wanted a government to protect their non-popular interests. Freedom is for everyone, not just the majority. Putting restrictions on what people can do (rather than what government can do) in a Constitution runs afoul of our history.

A democratic society isn't designed to just "do what the majority wants." In fact' date=' our country was set up by various minorities who wanted a government to protect their non-popular interests. Freedom is for everyone, not just the majority. Putting restrictions on what people can do (rather than what government can do) in a Constitution runs afoul of our history.[/quote']

This is true, but there has to be some breaking point. I mean, there has to be some restrictions on what people can do otherwise we'd live a lawless society. Now is gay marriage one of those things that should be regulated, I guess that is the debate. But you can't just say that regulating what people can do runs afoul of the Constitution.

This is true, but there has to be some breaking point. I mean, there has to be some restrictions on what people can do otherwise we'd live a lawless society. Now is gay marriage one of those things that should be regulated, I guess that is the debate. But you can't just say that regulating what people can do runs afoul of the Constitution.

That's not what I said. I said regulating what people do IN A CONSTITUTION runs afoul of our history. Specifically, restricting people from certain things, rather than giving/arming them with rights.

Regulating people is done through legislative statutes, courts and public opinion.

Edited by PJackson'sDred15

That's not what I said. I said regulating what people do IN A CONSTITUTION runs afoul of our history. Specifically, restricting people from certain things, rather than giving/arming them with rights.

Regulating people is done through legislative statutes, courts and public opinion.

But the constitutional amendment in question is not removing anyone's right's. Everyone has the right to marry. It is just further clarifying what the definition of marriage is.

You are right that the country was founded by minorities, but they agreed on the need to make laws for society as a whole provided that they didn't infringe on certain unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of hapiness. There is no way to outline a law that covers every possible circumstance of 400M people.

But the constitutional amendment in question is not removing anyone's right's. Everyone has the right to marry. It is just further clarifying what the definition of marriage is.

You are right that the country was founded by minorities, but they agreed on the need to make laws for society as a whole provided that they didn't infringe on certain unalienable rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of hapiness. There is no way to outline a law that covers every possible circumstance of 400M people.

It actually may. The amendment was poorly written so it may have a drastic impact on domestic violence laws and other straight partnerships/relationships. The amendment banned all recognized relationships other than marriage between a man and a woman. This may impact domestic violence laws, and laws involving children's rights whos parents may not be married.

Please don`t jump on me. God hated homosexuals and lesbians so much that he sent down fire and burned two towns and everyone in them except one family because there was a high percentage of homosexuals living there.

I treat everyone with respect but what are we suppose to do when a gay man or woman wants to be a friend? This is a serious question.

I don`t believe in gay marriage or gay couples adopting children but have a hard time turning my back on them. I belive in "live and let live.

Does anyone else feel like do?

Everyone has the right to marry a person of the opposite sex.

Fixed that for you. It's a shame that North Carolina voted on a bill they didn't fully understand. Epic trolling on the part of NC's state government. What I find funny is how quickly people judge the lifestyles of others who portend to live a life of faith where judgment is all but discouraged. Typical, in my experience.

Please don`t jump on me. God hated homosexuals and lesbians so much that he sent down fire and burned two towns and everyone in them except one family because there was a high percentage of homosexuals living there.

I treat everyone with respect but what are we suppose to do when a gay man or woman wants to be a friend? This is a serious question.

I don`t believe in gay marriage or gay couples adopting children but have a hard time turning my back on them. I belive in "live and let live.

Does anyone else feel like do?

Nothing wrong with having gay friends. Hate the sin not the sinner. And it's not a sin to be gay. It's a sin to participate in homosexual acts. Doesn't matter really what anybody says on here, it only matters what God says and thinks.

Nothing wrong with having gay friends. Hate the sin not the sinner. And it's not a sin to be gay. It's a sin to participate in homosexual acts. Doesn't matter really what anybody says on here, it only matters what God says and thinks.

Great post.

So you alone know what God thinks and says... interesting.

By that logic, we shouldn't allow "sinners" to marry at all then...? That's a horrible argument but not a surprising one, unfortunately.

I was raised in a very religious home and still attend a church that is highly religious cause it is what I feel most comfortable attending, I am live and let live type myself people should should be able to do what they want in thier own lives.

To tell you the truth, I'm not really that concerned about who wants to marry who. But then again, I guess I have more progressive views. I guess I'm more curious about this....I would assume people don't want Gov't in our lives telling us what to do, but, yet they can tell us who to marry. Of course, telling us to not marry animals and cousins and such I agree with, but I guess the question I have is..how much Gov't should we allow within our homes/bedrooms? And how do we decide what's to much?