Lacrosse

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminder: First round of the NCAA Lacrosse Tourney:

Yale @ Notre Dame today @ 5:15 on ESPNU.

Notre Dame needs to do well on the faceoffs and try to get an early lead. Yale plays pretty slow and does a good job on the faceoffs. Like I said before, ND is more athletic, has a better goalie and is a deeper team than Yale. I think this is a close game with Notre Dame scoring a few more goals in the second half than Yale.

I'll go with Notre Dame 10 Yale 7.

GO IRISH!

Too bad Okie, you missed a good game. It was a great showing by ND's offense. They shot very well. They came out on fire and really never looked back.

There were points in the game where their defense was just dominant. There was one point in the game where Yale passed inside to a player and 4 ND defensemen attacked him at once like killer bees to jar the ball loose....determined and motivated. My boys and I loved it.

On the negative side they really struggled with face-offs. Yale's faceoff man played VERY low, and was ultra aggressive with it, winning A LOT of them. Notre Dame also had a few too many unforced turnovers in the second half to my liking but all in all, VERY impressive victory.

Next up is Virginia at noon EST! Defending champion...put your gloves on because this should be battle.

GO IRISH!

Reminder:

Notre Dame/Virginia today at noon on ESPNU.

Today is going to be tough for the Irish. UVA is the returning champion and they have some stars that can shine and take this game over. They also play a pretty tough zone defense that Notre Dame will need to figure out early. Notre Dame is actually a VERY young team with no true stars and will really need to show that same offensive efficiency they did against Yale to have a chance in this game. I do not believe that UVA is playing their best ball though. Young teams also thrive when they are on a roll. I'm hoping this young team plays with a sense of confidence, takes the lead early, and rolls to the final four. I'm going to give my optimistic prediction of 8-6 Irish!

Pretty good prediction. Great game!!! Hope our injured player is going to be ok. Once he went down we came to life and then tried to make it interesting with turnovers. Loyola is next. This is a great shot at a national title.

When is the next game?

Woo Freakin' Hooo! Awesome Win for the Irish. Seriously, they just beat a very talented, returning champion team. To me this game shows that when a TEAM comes together, and wants to win, anything can happen. Definitely a team win here. The Defense did just about as good as you could against Stanwick from UVA. That guy dictates a good game. I think Notre Dame's depth in that heat helped them out too. Even though this is the first time all year ND gave up double digit goals, I still think Kemp played a solid game. The key to this win was finally getting some face offs and staying aggressive on offense. Corrigan impresses the hell out of me. He is a GREAT coach who models excellence on and off the field. He knew UVA could come back, like they were trying like crazy to do, and kept the heat on during the fourth quarter.

Next up is Loyola. I don't know too much about them. They obviously had a great season and are seeded number one. I'll have to dig up some information on them this week. If Notre Dame's offense keeps up their efficiency, and they can keep the faceoffs to at least 50 percent, they will take this thing!

I am torn here in Charm City. I am a lifelong ND football and Loyola lacrosse fan. I have a son at ND and a daughter at Loyola. My wife and I (as well as most of my family) are Loyola alums.

As for Loyola, they have started slowly in most of their regular season games this season. They scored many goals in the third quarter of their games. In their only loss, they fell behind Hopkins, mounted a comeback and came up a goal short. With Notre Dame's defense, if Loyola falls behind, it could be a long day for my greyhounds.

BaltimoreIrishDad,

Thanks for adding to the thread. Obviously getting the lead early is a big bonus. I did watch Loyola beat Denver the other night and I am pretty sure Loyola got 17/22 faceoffs. Now that is just CRAZY! Obviously that CAN'T happen against the Irish. Too early for me to tell right now but based on thosed numbers alone the first key to this game starts with faceoffs.

Also, congrats on having a child at ND and at Loyola. Very proud I'm sure!

To beat UVA when our guys were screwing up the fundamentals is huge. You can't take your eye off the ball when looking for the shot. Our guys are talented, but unsound at times... It's frustrating. It's going to cost them.

Yes, very proud. Good point about the face-offs. Curious, are you from a lacrosse hotbed area?

Definitely not. Presently there is no opportunity for lacrosse where I live. They did just recently start a club for lacrosse for high school but nothing for youth. I am actually in the works of trying to organize a youth team for lacrosse next year. My boys have been absolutely loving the sport. Hopefully I'll have some success.

Saturday at 2:30 p.m. What about the player that was injured?? Hope we can fix some of those mistakes.

Hey Okie,

Last I heard Foley was released from the hospital pretty quickly. I think it was mostly precautionary. Hopefully he doesn't have any concussion issues because every player helps as this is a true TEAM!

As for mistakes, every team has issues they can correct. Notre Dame plays absolute fundamental defense which helps all aspects of their game. They also have one of the best goalies in the game. Their offense plays great as a team. Right now they are being very efficient. They occasionally have trouble spotting the cage but when they do, this team is tough to beat.

• Join Domer Domain

Members receive fewer ads and can participate in the forums.

• Topics

• The players are getting paid because there is a market that wants to see success on the field.  Because that market watches, advertisers pay a lot of money to be seen while that market watches.  In return, that advertising money comes back to the school in the form of millions of dollars in various ways.  Paying for better players means even more value for advertisers and more money for Notre Dame to build buildings or fund programs. The average student who goes to Notre Dame doesn’t generate millions of dollars for the school.  If they decide not to go there, someone else will fill the spot so they can have access to the excellent education funded by the football program and its players.  I don’t see why the university would pay students to come (except for the absolute brightest) when supply and demand is in Notre Dame’s favor in a big way.  The alums are part of the market that wants results on the field so their money goes towards those results which in turn increases value for Notre Dame, too.  Paying kids to come doesn’t have much benefit to those alums either… I get what’s being said about working hard to pay for your kid to go to college, but there are just too many folks in the same boat while a big source of revenue for schools is football…the value of the school increases if football thrives.  It’s simple business, unfortunately, and ordinary students are the consumer.  Nobody pays consumers if they want to stay in business.
    • OK, fine, I'm getting excited.   We've been winning a lot of these. My take:  Golden commit forces Zackery hand?  Takes the last ND DB spot? It's nothing but expeditious!  Was always the answer.  No other reason to move up his commitment.   I expect he will commit to his dream school for a shot at the Natty!  The synergy is real here.  It's the staff, too, but it's bigger.  Like minded kids.  And they're all conspiring to come together for the title shot, and this staff has them convinced it's in South Bend!  
    • Slight nit, take the government out of guaranteed student loans.  Single handedly has been the biggest cause of soaring tuition and crushing debt for borrowers. Otherwise I'm in between as far as NIL.  It's chaos currently and we are still in Flux with the changes that have happened and stuff that's still to come.  We are far from settled in this shifting landscape of college athletics.
    • Can't wait to see someone try and block a punt and end up with internal hemorrhaging...