Gilyard Tantrum

Hard for me to slam this kid for being upset. If the situation were flipped and we were losing our coach after an undefeated, BCS bound season this board would be on meltdown mode. Give the kid a break.

Amen, friend, and I feel bad for these kids. They worked their @sses off and are abandoned at the most crucial point in their season, perhaps their careers. It's a young kid blowing off steam, so I for one will cut him some slack. I'd be p*ssed, too.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More Gilyard:

"Everybody and their mamma knew what was going on. I feel like he did our team an injustice. Hopefully he'll pack his things up and get to South Bend in a hurry."[/quote

By doing what leading the team to a undefeated season? I can care less about cutting this kid (23 years old) a break, when you start making stupid comments to the media, you are fair game.

Not sure what Mardy "Kelly got me a second chance" Gilyard is thinking. He owes ALOT!!!! to Brian Kelly. It's amazing how quickly people forget where they came from and how they got to where they are at. Why does he care anyways? He's gone after this right?

Gilyard lived in his car! The kid is a survivor and I hope he gets millions too! He looked up to BTK as a father figure and feels like he has BENN betrayed! We'd be upset of our coach left for another job right before our biggest game in school history. Brian Kelly should do well at ND if he got his concessions. If he didn't then most likely he will be the next coach to have his career ruined here. His success here has more to do with the administration and "Res Life" than anything else. Let's hope he got his exceptions.

Amen, friend, and I feel bad for these kids. They worked their @sses off and are abandoned at the most crucial point in their season, perhaps their careers. It's a young kid blowing off steam, so I for one will cut him some slack. I'd be p*ssed, too.

I disagree... the most crucial point in their season/careers was the Pitt game

Gilyard lived in his car! The kid is a survivor and I hope he gets millions too! He looked up to BTK as a father figure and feels like he has BENN betrayed! We'd be upset of our coach left for another job right before our biggest game in school history. Brian Kelly should do well at ND if he got his concessions. If he didn't then most likely he will be the next coach to have his career ruined here. His success here has more to do with the administration and "Res Life" than anything else. Let's hope he got his exceptions.

I wasn't going to get into the whole car thing but that was exactly my point. The guys was an administrative decision away from becoming a hobo and now he's blasting the guy that changed all of that. Why? Because he's not going to coach you in the Sugar Bowl. You're fing gone next year. I don't understand this whole mentality Cincinnati is taking right now. They are acting like BK blew up the stadium and then murdered the bearcat.

Cowherd (I know) made a great point on the radio today. Success is really dependent on one thing. How much do you care? ND has the biggest most loyal fan base in all of CFB. That is why ND football will always be relevant. Cincinnati really doesn't care about their college football which makes this outrage even more confusing. They are getting all worked up about something they never really had any interest in in the first place. It's like a girlfriend mourning over getting dumped by a boyfriend she didn't like just to get the pity and attention. Kelly clawed and scratched to build a football program at a basketball school and deserves full credit for it. They consistently struggled to fill that little 30,000 capacity stadium of theirs forever and it will go back to that in a about a month. Throw the mini pity party and go back to your apathy.

Well...........actually, I think he is bringing his OC and his former DC!!! So ND may be getting a couple of head coaches! Ohio State took Sweatervest from Youngstown! Barring stupidity from the administration, BK should do great!

There's a lot of talk about Martin, and he's awesome. But Jeff Quinn (OC) is unbelievable, and everybody that's ever played for him has heaped all sorts of praise on him.

If the staff has Martin and Quinn, oh boy.

What happened is the way the game is played, but I think the way the players are reacting is completely understandable. Kelly assured the players he wasn't going to leave...then he left. Of course they feel abandoned. If it were me, I would feel the exact same way. He is their leader and right before the biggest game that school has played in its history, he leaves. How do we know he won't do the same thing to ND?

By the way, I am extremely excited by the hire.

a) There just is no perfect way to handle a situation like Kelly faced - somebody is going to be upset no matter what

b) We don't know exactly what Kelly said to his players before the Pitt game regarding his future; he may have phrased things such that what he said was technically true at the time, but perhaps some nuance was lost on the players - so let's not be too quick to confirm BK as a liar

c) I'm sure if Gilyard matriculates to playing on Sunday, and reaches a point where he can control his own destiny, that he will look after No. 1 as most anyone would, without respect to team loyalty and whatnot

d) Kelly won't do the same to ND because we've already determined during this process that successful coaches (the idea of him bolting assumes success) don't leave one top program to go to another - ND is a destination job, especially for BK

And by the way, I am really excited about the hire as well.

His players are upset, disappointed, and hurt. No story there. Shame on ESPN for making it a big deal.

I saw the interview. He was most upset that Kelly "let it go on so long." Hey, maybe Kelly was actually considering his priorities for a few days before making what could be the biggest decision in his life. The kid lost his composure, and maybe he should have taken a few days to consider things before speaking out to the press. Still, it was ESPN that took the low road by choosing to run that interview as if it was big news. What does that tell you about their priorities?

And I don't see where Kelly lied to anyone. If he told his players he wanted to stay, then I believe he meant it when he said it. But I have not seen any tape of Kelly telling people that he promises them not to take the Notre Dame job. Maybe we can give our new coach the benefit of the doubt on this one?

Edited by 2lakes

What does that tell you about their priorities?

That those muckraking couldn't get enough of "irrelevant" ND's coaching search while it was active, and now that it's over can't get enough of trying to disparage the successful candidate. I really don't like those guys much...:laser:

Edited by rdrdreamer

His wiki entry on ND football keeps getting edited... I just fixed it but it recently said...

"Brian Kelly was announced as the 29th head coach on December 10, 2009, after coaching Cincinnati to a 12-0 record and BCS bowl berth. Also after lying to his players by telling them that he was staying. He let the entire city of Cincinnati down and most Bearcat fans now hope he gets hit by a car.[52]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_football#Kelly_Era_.282009.E2.80.93Present.29

His wiki entry on ND football keeps getting edited... I just fixed it but it recently said...

"Brian Kelly was announced as the 29th head coach on December 10, 2009, after coaching Cincinnati to a 12-0 record and BCS bowl berth. Also after lying to his players by telling them that he was staying. He let the entire city of Cincinnati down and most Bearcat fans now hope he gets hit by a car.[52]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_Fighting_Irish_football#Kelly_Era_.282009.E2.80.93Present.29

That's just a little bit funny.

That is pretty damn funny, let's be honest.

I find it hypocritical that Gilyard or most any D1 player would be upset for a coach leaving for money...isn't that what the players are all about, making it to the NFL and getting the big check? Face it, people leave for bigger jobs all the time. Until its announced, what do you expect him to say?

I would be fine if ND players made bad remarks at our coach if he leaves in a similar situation.

What would set me on fire is if they use double negatives when speaking publicly. I don't want ignorant players that can't pay attention in english 101.

I don't want no double negatives neither.

Not sure what Mardy "Kelly got me a second chance" Gilyard is thinking. He owes ALOT!!!! to Brian Kelly. It's amazing how quickly people forget where they came from and how they got to where they are at. Why does he care anyways? He's gone after this right?

As if Gilyard could forget where he came from. You ask, "Why does he care anyways?"

Edited by mcdougal93
personal attack