ND 2024 QB

I want to preface my comments by saying I have had these opinions well before today's game result.

I hope Coach Freeman didn't promise the starting job to Leonard.  I hope Leonard didn't require that as a condition of committing.  He wouldn't be the competitor that I hope he is if he did.

College and pro coaches fall in love with QB physical traits over intangibles time and time again.  Physical traits are important but I don't think as much as vision, ability to read defenses, ability to call audibles, touch and accuracy.  Touch and accuracy could be argued as physical traits but not nearly as valued as size, speed and arm strength.  

I would allow Angeli to compete for the starting job next year with a 50/50 reps split in spring and fall camps.  I don't want Minchey to transfer and would advise him against it but in the end, I would prefer to keep Angeli over Minchey.  

Angeli has the "it" factor.  I think there's a chance he's a better QB for ND next year than Leonard.  I think Leonard has the higher floor with Angeli having the high floor with higher top end potential.  I heard the announcers mention that Angeli was asked why he didn't transfer last year when Hartman was brought in and his response made me think there's a chance he doesn't transfer now either.  Awesome game for him today!  He was everything I thought he could be and more.  The guy plays like he's been starting for years.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

I want to preface my comments by saying I have had these opinions well before today's game result.

I hope Coach Freeman didn't promise the starting job to Leonard.  I hope Leonard didn't require that as a condition of committing.  He wouldn't be the competitor that I hope he is if he did.

College and pro coaches fall in love with QB physical traits over intangibles time and time again.  Physical traits are important but I don't think as much as vision, ability to read defenses, ability to call audibles, touch and accuracy.  Touch and accuracy could be argued as physical traits but not nearly as valued as size, speed and arm strength.  

I would allow Angeli to compete for the starting job next year with a 50/50 reps split in spring and fall camps.  I don't want Minchey to transfer and would advise him against it but in the end, I would prefer to keep Angeli over Minchey.  

Angeli has the "it" factor.  I think there's a chance he's a better QB for ND next year than Leonard.  I think Leonard has the higher floor with Angeli having the high floor with higher top end potential.  I heard the announcers mention that Angeli was asked why he didn't transfer last year when Hartman was brought in and his response made me think there's a chance he doesn't transfer now either.  Awesome game for him today!  He was everything I thought he could be and more.  The guy plays like he's been starting for years.

they'll both compete in spring practice. Hartman made it so clear last year that Tyler transferred. Let the best QB win. I hope it goes all the way until fall camp.

How delusional do you have to be to declare a Qb to have the 'It Factor' after he played in ONE glorified scrimmage in a meaningless exhibition game? 

You idiots did this last year w Buchner, and he is so awful, he doesn't even play football anymore, lol

How desperate are you guys to always look like foolish and incompetent ND football fans?

Edited by NDLincPark
  • Poo 2

Despite some others opinions of calling people stupid for having their own opinions, I think it’s a reasonable argument to have.

I feel good about Angeli. I think the ceiling is much higher with Leonard. He’s also shown to be injury prone so who knows. You also saw Angeli play against 2nd/3rd stringers all game today. I guess my overall take is having Angeli as a backup is a good problem to have right now, but I would prefer a guy like Leonard with a very high ceiling.

• Flames 1

56 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Despite some others opinions of calling people stupid for having their own opinions, I think it’s a reasonable argument to have.

I feel good about Angeli. I think the ceiling is much higher with Leonard. He’s also shown to be injury prone so who knows. You also saw Angeli play against 2nd/3rd stringers all game today. I guess my overall take is having Angeli as a backup is a good problem to have right now, but I would prefer a guy like Leonard with a very high ceiling.

Completely agree, despite what the DD clown jester keeps saying.

But anyway, Angeli does have a shot at pushing Leonard for the starting role, no matter what.

The reason is Angeli has played well every time he has been on the field, and looked very good today. Even if it is against 2nd stringers.

I also agree that Leonard provides more upside, but Angeli is good enough to compete.

Oregon St's defense was largely intact, especially in that front 7; their offense is what was decimated by the transfer portal. Angeli playing the way he did today was pretty impressive and shouldn't be dismissed by saying he played against the 2nd/3rd stringers.

I think they will have a competition much like Hartman and Buchner did this year, but I think Leonard will easily win that QB battle, However, with his play style, I would really like Angeli to stay because I would have confidence in him if Leonard got hurt to win the games on the schedule (playoffs would be a different story).

I hope Minchey is developing the same way Angeli has because I highly doubt both of them are here come August 2024.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Possibly some people can see things in players that others can't..... I have watched plenty of inexperienced ND QBs play and few have had the poise that Angeli shows.  Doesn't mean he will be a star.  Rees had something similiar to what I am describing and he wasn't an elite QB so no guarantees.  

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Possibly some people can see things in players that others can't..... I have watched plenty of inexperienced ND QBs play and few have had the poise that Angeli shows.  Doesn't mean he will be a star.  Rees had something similiar to what I am describing and he wasn't an elite QB so no guarantees.  

Good response. Thank you for taking the high ground. We WILL respect each other when we communicate.

• Cheers 1

My less than expert take:   Angeli gets beat put for QB1 next year but he and his family understands that he is an injury away from starting ...   he also finishes his degree next year and then If Carr is legit...   Angeli sees the writing on the wall and transfers the following spring  leaving us with Carr..  Deuce and whomever they recruit from there...   Minchy is gone by spring next year or even sooner 

It’s amazing how poised Angeli has been every time he’s been given the opportunity.  There’s also a factor that I love to see the “home grown” QB win out. 

I'm hopeful that it is an open competition. If Angeli wins out, then that’s really good for ND! I also think it’s unlikely he beats out the 2022 version of Leonard

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Irish-scoop said:

My less than expert take:   Angeli gets beat put for QB1 next year but he and his family understands that he is an injury away from starting ...   he also finishes his degree next year and then If Carr is legit...   Angeli sees the writing on the wall and transfers the following spring  leaving us with Carr..  Deuce and whomever they recruit from there...   Minchy is gone by spring next year or even sooner 

That is kind of how I see it playing out as well. It is not what I want to happen, but in today's CFB landscape, I see it playing out:

2024: Leonard starts, Angeli stays and is the backup, Minchey transfers, and Carr redshirts
2025: Angeli transfers, Carr starts, and Knight redshirts

Obviously, as you can see, this will quickly lead to an issue with possibly (likely) only having 2 scholarship QBs for 2025. The other likely scenario is Angeli/Minchey switch. We havent see much of Minchey, so there is a chance that Minchey could beat out Carr in 2025.

ND will almost have to go to the portal, 2026 could get really scary if Knight does not want to wait around another year behind Carr.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1

Angeli looked great, without a doubt. I am rooting for him. However, we were having the same discussion about Buchner last year. He reminded me very much of Pyne, Buchner, Coan and Hartman. The IT factor, to me, is how a leader leads his men in the face of adversity. I haven’t seen an ND QB really shine under pressure since… Kizer maybe? I am probably missing something glaring but I have blocked off entire seasons to keep myself sane so this is what comes to mind. Hoping ND has a great QB for the next three or four years.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

Angeli looked great, without a doubt. I am rooting for him. However, we were having the same discussion about Buchner last year. He reminded me very much of Pyne, Buchner, Coan and Hartman. The IT factor, to me, is how a leader leads his men in the face of adversity. I haven’t seen an ND QB really shine under pressure since… Kizer maybe? I am probably missing something glaring but I have blocked off entire seasons to keep myself sane so this is what comes to mind. Hoping ND has a great QB for the next three or four years.

I’d say Ian Book did well under pressure