Incoming Player Transfers (2023-24)

36 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Idk I am still so torn on this topic.  I agree with both of you, @NDLincPark and @tneun89.  Forgive me for the tangent I am about to go on lol. 

Where I agree with @NDLincPark is I really want to see Notre Dame become a powerhouse with Freeman and the school's ability, or I should say, the boosters/"initiative's" ability to pay our kids NIL.  The QB recruiting is already turning the page for the better when compared to the Kelly regime.  We're not getting our QBs from the bargain bin on the sale aisle anymore.  We just have to get those kids on the field now.  I want ND to be able to pump out a star every two seasons.  I'd love for three, but, no stud QB is going to wait around too long in the portal era for his turn to reign.  I'd love for that to start next season and the schedule is almost perfect to allow a rookie QB to settle in for the long haul.  Yes, opening at A&M is going to be tough, especially with Elko taking over and I am just seeing now that Kansas State's Collin Klein is going to be Elko's OC.  But the twelve team playoff gives us the cushion to be able to afford to potentially not win that game.

@Texas A&M
Northern Illinois
@Purdue
Miami of Ohio
Louisville
Stanford
@Georgia Tech
Navy (Metlife Stadium, NJ)
Florida State
Virginia
Army (Shamrock Series: Yankee Stadium, NY)

@USC

Army at Yankee Stadium is not 100% confirmed but from what I have heard on both Irish Breakdown and Irish Illustrated its a matter of dotting I's and crossing T's from being confirmed.  I feel that is a schedule that Angeli/Minchey can navigate enough to take some licks in College Station and then have the ability to rebound with two cupcakes and Purdue in the ensuing three games.  Does Louisville look anywhere near as good next season as they have this season?  I honestly have no clue what kind of players they are returning or not.  Florida State should be a game, but we have them at home in November.  USC is probably going to be a cluster frig again next season.  With Angeli/Minchey I can see that being anywhere from 10-2, 9-3, or even possibly 11-1.  

Where I agree with @tneun89, next season, and our schedule, is ripe for the picking.  You put ND on the field with Leonard under center and that is most likely an 11-1 season with the possibility of 12-0.  10-2 is worst possible scenario(where have I heard that before lol).  This could be ND's best chance at a National Championship since probably 1993.  Idk about you guys but I never really thought we had a chance in 2012 lol.  2025 and 2026, while still missing a few opponents, are already looking like tougher schedules than 2024.  Freeman would be 100% right for going all in on 2024 and hoping Carr can put on enough muscle to be ready to go in 2025 because I can definitely see Minchey taking off if Leonard does in fact transfer in.  I hope not though.

Well said, the last paragraph specifically. With that schedule and the 12 team playoff coming, playoffs need to be the goal (and it’s absolutely realistic, not an “if everything goes right and we win all our games we should be in” like the previous 4 team playoff years. You get a proven veteran qb, you’re bringing in proven veteran productive wide receivers, you look to shore up across the board with veteran talent to make next season playoffs or bust.

2 hours ago, Baldy said:

Still not sure about the source, and especially since he’s taking his visit with Notre Dame today and tomorrow, but I saw this.

Here is the thing. Leonard to Notre Dame is a pretty sure thing at this point, it doesn't take an "insider" to make this prediction. This "source" is going to be right at the end of the day. However, I could make a twitter account and "predict" things like this as well, does not mean I have "sources."

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

This program is stuck in neutral.  Has been for decades

They are not going to attract or retain top QBs or WRs if they can not develop Quarterbacks in their system. 

They have the chance to do so now, and build a national champion caliber team in the coming years

And what do the lemming fans want? To get another retread transfer with short upside, so they can be safe.  Same ppl who thought Buchner was a stud too, LOL

ND has recruited and developed 1 first round QB in the past 30 years. What makes anyone think that that trend would change.

I have no issue brining in the ringers. One of Minchey/Angeli will stay and have have sat 2 years with 3 years eligibility. That is ideal for a QB to take over.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

@NDLincPark My only rebuttal to that is Leonard is probably closer to the type of QB that fits Freeman/Parker's system than Hartman is.  So there is that positive at least.  Otherwise I agree wholeheartedly I want to be a school that recruits and develops our own QBs.

This right here!

Leonard does seem to be a much better for this type of offense. I felt Hartman struggled going from a Slow Mesh RPO to a Pro-Style, so maybe going from a Spread will transition better.

Leonard is also much bigger than Hartman at 6’4” and 212 lbs. As everyone knows, he’s much more mobile, but also accurate and can throw the deep ball well.

Looking forward to seeing what he can do!

Sure it would be great if ND could pump out ‘homegrown’ QB’s with regularity. In today’s world of college football, the normal thing is for top QB’s to transfer. Look at the 3 QB’s who are Heisman finalists - Bo Nix, M Penix and Jaden Daniels - all transfers. Caleb Williams, last year’s Heisman winner, transfer. OSU took Justin Fields as a transfer from Georgia, which resulted in Joe Burrow transferring to LSU. OSU had freakin Joe Burrow on their team and still brought in  Fields as a transfer. Quin Evers transferred from OSU to Texas.  The list goes on.

It is a difficult situation nowadays, seems like whoever loses the starting QB job will transfer. And then all of a sudden you’re down to 2-3 QB’s on the roster. Almost impossible to keep that ideal number of 4 QB’s on the roster. Whether you bring in someone from the portal or not, whoever doesn’t win the starting job will be more likely than not to transfer out.

So what’s the answer???

• Flames 1
  • Trophy 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, jimbo said:

Sure it would be great if ND could pump out ‘homegrown’ QB’s with regularity. In today’s world of college football, the normal thing is for top QB’s to transfer. Look at the 3 QB’s who are Heisman finalists - Bo Nix, M Penix and Jaden Daniels - all transfers. Caleb Williams, last year’s Heisman winner, transfer. OSU took Justin Fields as a transfer from Georgia, which resulted in Joe Burrow transferring to LSU. OSU had freakin Joe Burrow on their team and still brought in  Fields as a transfer. Quin Evers transferred from OSU to Texas.  The list goes on.

It is a difficult situation nowadays, seems like whoever loses the starting QB job will transfer. And then all of a sudden you’re down to 2-3 QB’s on the roster. Almost impossible to keep that ideal number of 4 QB’s on the roster. Whether you bring in someone from the portal or not, whoever doesn’t win the starting job will be more likely than not to transfer out.

So what’s the answer???

Solid points…the game has changed. QBs are transferring with huge success, at high level programs. Love the recruiting improvements there with Carr and Deuce, but I also really like the ability to go out and take a one year rental that improves the position, improves the team, and is the right fit

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Soko said:

ND has recruited and developed 1 first round QB in the past 30 years. What makes anyone think that that trend would change.

I have no issue brining in the ringers. One of Minchey/Angeli will stay and have have sat 2 years with 3 years eligibility. That is ideal for a QB to take over.

You are right. ND has had the same coaches in place for 30 years and hasn't had a lot of luck developing a first round QB.....one day maybe a coach will be replaced and there will be hope that things might change from one decade to the next.

/endsarcasm

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, jimbo said:

So what’s the answer???

You hit the nail on the head here!

Very well said! 👏🏼

• Leprechaun 1

It's just the reality of college football in the day of the portal.

A ton of 4-5 star quarterbacks coming out of high school don't develop into what anyone thought they might.  Many of them do.  There's no way to accurately predict it.  And that's not in any way unique to Notre Dame.

I suspect recruiting will be important, but the portal may become even more important.   At least portal players will have shown they can play, whereas recruits may not develop into significant players.

I'm a fan.  I don't know how to evaluate QB's other than, does the team win with them or not?  I don't love the idea of a 1 year rental QB.  Seems like that may limit the playbook and limit development of the QB's you recruit.  But, competition is the key.  Create meaningful, fair competition in the spring and summer, then let the guy the coaches think gives the team the best chance to win take the reins in the fall.   QB's will transfer if they don't like it, just like every other position group player.  This door opened a couple years ago and it's never going to close.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

The reality is, that Notre Dame has been a good QB away from being able to contend for a Natty a number of times in the last 15 years. 

And most of the time, they have a sub par, 3 star hack back there, impeding the team.  No upside, no growth, non dual threat, etc. 

The reality is, they need to cultivate a program that can actually compete with the top programs.  Notre Dame is not a top tier CFB program today.   They are a 10th-20th ranked team, just like Penn State and many others. 

If they want to actually change the narrative, and start to be a GA, or OSU, or Bama, they need to recruit better playmakers. 

Carr should start in 2024 - the upside is much more than Leonard for 1 year, at best a first round loss in the playoff, lost recruits and a depleted WR and QB room in 2025. 

1 hour ago, The Captain 19 said:

Is there a kicker visiting today too? Mitch Jeter from South Carolina? Can anybody confirm or deny?

Not positive it is today, but he is visiting ND this week/weekend. The expectation is that he commits to ND soon. Big win for Freeman and Co.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1