Coaching Changes

31 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Good luck to O'Leary.  It was a matter of time before it happened.

Hoping Freeman does his best to avoid hiring coaches that have "known" NFL aspirations.  

Not sure that you only want to hire coaches who do not aspire to bigger and better things be it the NFL or increased responsibility at the college level.

• Heart 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Not sure that you only want to hire coaches who do not aspire to bigger and better things be it the NFL or increased responsibility at the college level.

Right.  Having our staff receive overtures from other teams, or the staff go out and apply/get better opportunities is not a bad thing.  That's a sign of a healthy program and shows that there are things we are doing right.  Other up and coming coaches are going to see this also and the environment Freeman is building, thus wanting to come aboard.  

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Not in all cases but many, coaches that desire NFL jobs don't like recruiting.  That certainly seemed to be the case somewhat with O'Leary.  Guessing Freeman put his foot down with the staff on stepping up recruiting efforts for those that were lagging behind.  

Absolutely no issue with assistants pursuing promotions within the college ranks.  

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Not in all cases but many, coaches that desire NFL jobs don't like recruiting.  That certainly seemed to be the case somewhat with O'Leary.  Guessing Freeman put his foot down with the staff on stepping up recruiting efforts for those that were lagging behind.  

Absolutely no issue with assistants pursuing promotions within the college ranks.  

This I agree with, so I wish him the best!

I believe more and more college coaches are looking to the NFL, what with the mess college football is in these days. Until (If) the college football world comes to its senses, we can expect to see the exodus to the big show continue. 

I have every confidence in MF to hire an excellent replacement for O’Leary (best of luck to him). His track record in hiring staff has been excellent. Al Golden, Joe Rudolph, Al Washington, Hank Bullough,  the new S&C coach. I can’t comment on the new WR coach as I know next to nothing about him.

I saw somewhere today that Al Washington was ranked the #5 recruiter nationwide for the 2024 recruiting season. Quite a turnaround from his 1st class!

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, jimbo said:

I believe more and more college coaches are looking to the NFL, what with the mess college football is in these days. Until (If) the college football world comes to its senses, we can expect to see the exodus to the big show continue. 

I have every confidence in MF to hire an excellent replacement for O’Leary (best of luck to him). His track record in hiring staff has been excellent. Al Golden, Joe Rudolph, Al Washington, Hank Bullough,  the new S&C coach. I can’t comment on the new WR coach as I know next to nothing about him.

I saw somewhere today that Al Washington was ranked the #5 recruiter nationwide for the 2024 recruiting season. Quite a turnaround from his 1st class!

Completely agree, and well said!

11 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Not a change, but Golden signed a 4 year extension. Love this move with him and Denbrock

4 years!?! He must really like his gig. Is it typical for an OC or DC to get that length contract?

8 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

4 years!?! He must really like his gig. Is it typical for an OC or DC to get that length contract?

It is more a vote of confidence. No coaches really make it to the end of a contract without an extension or getting canned first. It is a way to guarentee more money with the annual salary being the same. 

32 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

It is more a vote of confidence. No coaches really make it to the end of a contract without an extension or getting canned first. It is a way to guarentee more money with the annual salary being the same. 

In addition, perhaps Golden doesn't have much aspirations for another HC gig.  Agree with the rest.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Not a change, but Golden signed a 4 year extension. Love this move with him and Denbrock

YES! And the news about Deland McCullough is icing on the cake. MF is putting together quite a staff.

I’m not worried in the least about ND finding a new coach for the Safety position. Perhaps they expand Mike Mickens role to DB coach with a nice increase in salary? 

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, jimbo said:

YES! And the news about Deland McCullough is icing on the cake. MF is putting together quite a staff.

I’m not worried in the least about ND finding a new coach for the Safety position. Perhaps they expand Mike Mickens role to DB coach with a nice increase in salary? 

Just saw the McCullough news too. Two veteran established coordinators and a bunch of young and already proven position coaches that recruit the fudge out of the country.

• Leprechaun 1

The Golden extension STRONGLY SUGGESTS that Notre Dame would like to keep Marcus Freeman until 2027 and beyond but I do like that the contract lengths are not Charlie Weis long.. ND was paying Charlie still way into the BK era and it really hurt donor confidence in administration in my opinion.

• Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 2

2 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

The Golden extension STRONGLY SUGGESTS that Notre Dame would like to keep Marcus Freeman until 2027 and beyond but I do like that the contract lengths are not Charlie Weis long.. ND was paying Charlie still way into the BK era and it really hurt donor confidencee in admination in my opinion.

This right here! 💯

14 hours ago, jimbo said:

Then move Max Bullough to full-time LB coach. 

• Flames 1