Coaching Changes

From what I’ve seen there have been some rumblings about Stuckey not being very well liked in the locker room, obviously rumors at this point. Lots of issues with some of the drills he was running in camp too as a “wtf are you doing” reaction. I believe there were other WR coach options a couple years ago and Rees wanted Stuckey too, which played into the hire. Either way he was not a bad hire, but time to move on, should have some good options out there

I am going to be the only one that thinks this but.....I do not see Stuckey as much of a loss. 

I know he was well liked, and he seemed to recruit well, but his position group did not perform very well. I do not think he was at ND long enough to get a full and fair evaluation, but I don't think it is unfair of me to say that his position group underperformed (or maybe, did not live up to expectations).

I have always believed that WR was one of the few positions where coaching > talent (and that goes both ways). I would rather have an average recruiter that can flat out coach than have a recruiting guru that can't seem to find a single person capable of running a route 2 years in.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Rumblings that Stuckey may be out as WR coach. 

Wow. Honestly floored by that news.

Gotta trust the staff on this. 

On the one hand he recruited and played young guys

On the other hand, there wasnt much growth throughout the season. 

• Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

Just now, Synoptico said:

Gotta trust the staff on this. 

On the one hand he recruited and played young guys

On the other hand, there wasnt much growth throughout the season. 

I agree.  At first thought its a big loss but our WR corps has to be better in my opinion.  They are too talented to not produce at a higher level.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Of all the coaches on the staff this is one I am ok with losing.  The lack of growth this season with Tobias Merriweather and Braylon James was unacceptable.  I am thankful for the work he put in on the recruiting trail leading up to this point but what good do these recruits do if they can't be coached up.  

28 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Logan Saldate and (much more importantly) Cam Williams both have immediately said they are still 100% solid to ND no matter the change

This is great to hear though.  Hopefully the rest of his recruits stay as well.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Of all the coaches on the staff this is one I am ok with losing.  The lack of growth this season with Tobias Merriweather and Braylon James was unacceptable.  I am thankful for the work he put in on the recruiting trail leading up to this point but what good do these recruits do if they can't be coached up.

I completely agree, because I had mentioned how the WR position group was vastly underperforming, specifically Merriweather, James, and even Thomas, despite the injury, appeared to be due to coaching.

Still didn’t expect to see him get let go, but again, it could be for the best.

Glad for all he did with recruiting, but there was too much talent on this current roster for them to take an apparent step back as a whole.

• Heart 1

While not a current ND coach, I found this to be interesting regarding a former ND coach.

If this is all true, I wonder what Lea will decide to do or where he’ll want to go after all of this?

I would definitely love for Notre Dame to take him back as a linebackers coach, and then if Golden leaves, be NDs DC again!

As a side note, how is Fisher still getting interest? Dude is so overrated, and I feel is not a good head coach. Then again, with his huge payout from Texas A&M, why even coach at all!? 😂

25 minutes ago, Baldy said:

While not a current ND coach, I found this to be interesting regarding a former ND coach.

If this is all true, I wonder what Lea will decide to do or where he’ll want to go after all of this?

I would definitely love for Notre Dame to take him back as a linebackers coach, and then if Golden leaves, be NDs DC again!

As a side note, how is Fisher still getting interest? Dude is so overrated, and I feel is not a good head coach. Then again, with his huge payout from Texas A&M, why even coach at all!? 😂

This was posted in another forum, but it sounds like this is not true. I don't think Lea is being let go, although Vandy had a terrible season. He's 9-27 in his three seasons. I know it's really hard to win there, but going 2-10 this season after 5-7 last season is a definite step back. He better get them to a bowl game next year, or he could be gone.

And totally agree on Jimbo. If I'm him, I'm enjoying the $78M buyout and sitting on a beach somewhere, not Facetiming high school kids every night trying to get them to come play for me.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

According to a free ND podcast, multiple WRs that ND wants to keep were going to transfer if Stuckey remained.  Also heard that Stuckey did little to develop relationships with the players.

Heard some of the same rumors going around. Makes sense with the timing and making changes now during this window where transfer decisions are coming quick 

4 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

From what I’ve seen there have been some rumblings about Stuckey not being very well liked in the locker room, obviously rumors at this point. Lots of issues with some of the drills he was running in camp too as a “wtf are you doing” reaction. I believe there were other WR coach options a couple years ago and Rees wanted Stuckey too, which played into the hire. Either way he was not a bad hire, but time to move on, should have some good options out there

Kind of makes you wonder with injuries to that group which proportionally was very high this season.  Could it have been due to some drilling oddities?

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Here's my theory on it. Tyree left. Freeman didn't want him to leave. Conversations as to why he was leaving may have pointed to the position coach. We already know Tyree went for outside coaching to catch extra footballs this past offseason. Tyree was viewed with high regard by Marcus. I think that and Merriweather getting less time toward the end   then Faison.

It also goes to @NYGoldenDomer theory that had the wide receivers been better Hartman would not be viewed like Pyne(statistically) makes me want to watch each Hartman interception.

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

This was posted in another forum, but it sounds like this is not true. I don't think Lea is being let go, although Vandy had a terrible season. He's 9-27 in his three seasons. I know it's really hard to win there, but going 2-10 this season after 5-7 last season is a definite step back. He better get them to a bowl game next year, or he could be gone.

And totally agree on Jimbo. If I'm him, I'm enjoying the $78M buyout and sitting on a beach somewhere, not Facetiming high school kids every night trying to get them to come play for me.

I kind of figured, but would agree if he doesn’t get Vandy to a bowl game next season, he’ll definitely be gone!

And yes, because I know that’s what I’d be doing! 😂