Jump to content

Coaching Changes


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Yep, as we saw last year with the Ludwig situation, ND has to be willing to not only pay a high salary (which they do), but also has to pay whatever buyout is in place, which can be high for the most sought-after coordinators. 

I'm fairly positive Tommy Rees was paid close to $2 million when he signed on to be Freeman's OC. I would imagine Golden is making around the same as well. I think Parker is probably much closer to $1 million.

Rees has a golden coaching tree. He will be in demand for a head coaching job and will get paid a lot. Lincoln Riley he’s not, but he now has the bona fides to land a very good job either next year or the year after. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Yep, as we saw last year with the Ludwig situation, ND has to be willing to not only pay a high salary (which they do), but also has to pay whatever buyout is in place, which can be high for the most sought-after coordinators. 

I'm fairly positive Tommy Rees was paid close to $2 million when he signed on to be Freeman's OC. I would imagine Golden is making around the same as well. I think Parker is probably much closer to $1 million.

Hopefully the new AD and incoming school President won't be as stingy with the checkbook.  The on-field talent is here and more is on the way.  Hopefully the program can figure out a way to keep the right coaches in place to finally get that talent over the finish line.

  • Heart 2
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I’ve seen there have been some rumblings about Stuckey not being very well liked in the locker room, obviously rumors at this point. Lots of issues with some of the drills he was running in camp too as a “wtf are you doing” reaction. I believe there were other WR coach options a couple years ago and Rees wanted Stuckey too, which played into the hire. Either way he was not a bad hire, but time to move on, should have some good options out there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am going to be the only one that thinks this but.....I do not see Stuckey as much of a loss. 

I know he was well liked, and he seemed to recruit well, but his position group did not perform very well. I do not think he was at ND long enough to get a full and fair evaluation, but I don't think it is unfair of me to say that his position group underperformed (or maybe, did not live up to expectations).

I have always believed that WR was one of the few positions where coaching > talent (and that goes both ways). I would rather have an average recruiter that can flat out coach than have a recruiting guru that can't seem to find a single person capable of running a route 2 years in.

  • Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Rumblings that Stuckey may be out as WR coach. 

Wow. Honestly floored by that news.

 Gotta trust the staff on this. 

 

On the one hand he recruited and played young guys

On the other hand, there wasnt much growth throughout the season. 

  • Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Synoptico said:

 Gotta trust the staff on this. 

 

On the one hand he recruited and played young guys

On the other hand, there wasnt much growth throughout the season. 

I agree.  At first thought its a big loss but our WR corps has to be better in my opinion.  They are too talented to not produce at a higher level.

  • Heart 1
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of all the coaches on the staff this is one I am ok with losing.  The lack of growth this season with Tobias Merriweather and Braylon James was unacceptable.  I am thankful for the work he put in on the recruiting trail leading up to this point but what good do these recruits do if they can't be coached up.  

28 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Logan Saldate and (much more importantly) Cam Williams both have immediately said they are still 100% solid to ND no matter the change

This is great to hear though.  Hopefully the rest of his recruits stay as well.

  • Heart 2
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Of all the coaches on the staff this is one I am ok with losing.  The lack of growth this season with Tobias Merriweather and Braylon James was unacceptable.  I am thankful for the work he put in on the recruiting trail leading up to this point but what good do these recruits do if they can't be coached up.

I completely agree, because I had mentioned how the WR position group was vastly underperforming, specifically Merriweather, James, and even Thomas, despite the injury, appeared to be due to coaching.

Still didn’t expect to see him get let go, but again, it could be for the best.

Glad for all he did with recruiting, but there was too much talent on this current roster for them to take an apparent step back as a whole.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While not a current ND coach, I found this to be interesting regarding a former ND coach.

If this is all true, I wonder what Lea will decide to do or where he’ll want to go after all of this?

I would definitely love for Notre Dame to take him back as a linebackers coach, and then if Golden leaves, be NDs DC again!

As a side note, how is Fisher still getting interest? Dude is so overrated, and I feel is not a good head coach. Then again, with his huge payout from Texas A&M, why even coach at all!? 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...