Coaching Changes

If I am the AD and/or the HC, I only make coaching staff changes when I am fairly certain I have a candidate interested that is or likely is an upgrade.  Everyone knows who the stars in the coaching profession are but you better be able to identify the up and coming stars.  Or, at least have a reliable connection that can help with that.  That's why I would avoid hiring friends as often as possible because I have to be able to replace someone without hesitation when warranted. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Baldy said:

While not a current ND coach, I found this to be interesting regarding a former ND coach.

2 hours ago, tneun89 said:

This was posted in another forum, but it sounds like this is not true. I don't think Lea is being let go, although Vandy had a terrible season. He's 9-27 in his three seasons. I know it's really hard to win there, but going 2-10 this season after 5-7 last season is a definite step back. He better get them to a bowl game next year, or he could be gone.

And totally agree on Jimbo. If I'm him, I'm enjoying the $78M buyout and sitting on a beach somewhere, not Facetiming high school kids every night trying to get them to come play for me.

I heard about Lea on Irish Breakdown today while mowing the lawn but whenever their podcast was recorded it wasn't finalized yet.  They also mentioned that we might also see Matt Balis getting hired by A&M as he was buddy buddy with Elko and Balis' son is either an A&M recruit or already an underclassman.  I forget that detail.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I heard about Lea on Irish Breakdown today while mowing the lawn but whenever their podcast was recorded it wasn't finalized yet.  They also mentioned that we might also see Matt Balis getting hired by A&M as he was buddy buddy with Elko and Balis' son is either an A&M recruit or already an underclassman.  I forget that detail.

and here I did six freaking novenas for Balis 2.0... A&M will be formidable - glad we'll play them early. As to Vandy, I see that as a quality school & mixing Jimbo there would, to me, be oil & water - everyone that I know with F$U & A&M ties was very glad to see him go. One FSU letterman said he was like Urban's cousin.

• Heart 1

I’m guessing there were rumblings going around about Chansi for a while, because it seems MF moved pretty quickly on this after the season ended. Also makes it seem more likely Parker is staying, what would be the point of letting go of Chansi now and then changing Parker later? If you’re cleaning house, why hold back for now?

I think Elko is a good coach, although Duke stumbled down the stretch. He may turn out to be a great hire. I just don’t believe he will bring A&M to a level with Alabama and Georgia. A&M under Elko will be good, not necessarily great.

A few things.

I think that Parker will almost certainly be back as OC. Could he be "demoted" to co-OC with someone like Gino or Deland (or even the new WR coach)? Sure. It sounds like Gino had a more active role in play calling the second half of the season. Regardless, I now think Parker will be the OC in 2024.

As for why Stuckey was dismissed, I've heard the same rumblings that he wasn't particularly well liked in the WR room and some WRs were/are considering transferring. That said, I would take those rumblings with a grain of salt. There is nothing really concrete out there - I don't trust Driskell's "reporting" at all, as he has been prone to overexaggerate or completely make up stuff in the past. If these rumblings were confirmed by Prister, Sampson, O'Malley, James, Hansen, etc., then I'll believe it. For now, I simply think Freeman was dissatisfied with how the WRs were being developed and wanted to make a change. 

• Flames 1

6 hours ago, jimbo said:

I’m guessing there were rumblings going around about Chansi for a while, because it seems MF moved pretty quickly on this after the season ended. Also makes it seem more likely Parker is staying, what would be the point of letting go of Chansi now and then changing Parker later? If you’re cleaning house, why hold back for now?

I think Elko is a good coach, although Duke stumbled down the stretch. He may turn out to be a great hire. I just don’t believe he will bring A&M to a level with Alabama and Georgia. A&M under Elko will be good, not necessarily great.

I agree on your thinking that it looks like Parker will be back. But I still hoping for something to happen after the  bowl games with our OC position. Maybe like tneun89 posted  appoint a co-offensive coordinator.

• Heart 1

We need a homerun hire for WR coach. The on-field product left a little to be desired this year, there's no denying that Stuckey definitely refilled the cupboard. With all the young WR talent at ND it should be a really attractive landing spot for someone.

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, tneun89 said:

A few things.

I think that Parker will almost certainly be back as OC. Could he be "demoted" to co-OC with someone like Gino or Deland (or even the new WR coach)? Sure. It sounds like Gino had a more active role in play calling the second half of the season. Regardless, I now think Parker will be the OC in 2024.

As for why Stuckey was dismissed, I've heard the same rumblings that he wasn't particularly well liked in the WR room and some WRs were/are considering transferring. That said, I would take those rumblings with a grain of salt. There is nothing really concrete out there - I don't trust Driskell's "reporting" at all, as he has been prone to overexaggerate or completely make up stuff in the past. If these rumblings were confirmed by Prister, Sampson, O'Malley, James, Hansen, etc., then I'll believe it. For now, I simply think Freeman was dissatisfied with how the WRs were being developed and wanted to make a change. 

I happen to enjoy both Driskell's and Prister's podcasts.  Out of curiosity, what kind of reporting has Driskell overexaggerated or make up?

5 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I happen to enjoy both Driskell's and Prister's podcasts.  Out of curiosity, what kind of reporting has Driskell overexaggerated or make up?

The one that immediately came to mind, outside of the Stuckey stuff recently, is his reporting on Buchner's fall camp last season. He was really hyping up Buchner's accuracy and ability when most other outlets reported that Buchner looked downright bad. I think he really overexaggerated Buchner's ability heading into last season. 

I like some of the stuff he does - he is a good x's and o's guys (I think Prister and James are very good on that front), but I think he tends to be kind of a blowhard who doesn't like to be questioned or disagreed with. Just not my style, but I get why he has a big audience because he puts out a lot of content and knows a lot about the sport. I just don't think he is as connected to the inner workings of ND like the guys I mentioned.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

The one that immediately came to mind, outside of the Stuckey stuff recently, is his reporting on Buchner's fall camp last season. He was really hyping up Buchner's accuracy and ability when most other outlets reported that Buchner looked downright bad. I think he really overexaggerated Buchner's ability heading into last season. 

I like some of the stuff he does - he is a good x's and o's guys (I think Prister and James are very good on that front), but I think he tends to be kind of a blowhard who doesn't like to be questioned or disagreed with. Just not my style, but I get why he has a big audience because he puts out a lot of content and knows a lot about the sport. I just don't think he is as connected to the inner workings of ND like the guys I mentioned.

I only started listening to him this season so I missed all of that Buchner stuff.  Interesting.  

As far as what Driskell is reporting about Stuckey, he has said his sources are saying he just wasn't coaching the kids.  Lost the room, wrote kids off.  Made a comment that Stuckey would have been better off as the team chaplain instead of the WR coach.  Things started being brought to Freeman's attention during the bye weeks and picked up speed.

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

This is exactly how I feel about Driskell.

• Heart 1

• 2 months later...