2023 Roster Math & Scholarship Chart

2023 Roster Math

Details in the link (on individuals).

But in short, pretty good visual (click to enlarge). 

• Sitting at 93 at the moment
  • With the extra years, not sure where we stand. IIRC, the total can be up to 100? So have room for 7 more???
  • And no 25 class limit, at least in 22 and 23 classes (not sure about the future)
  • A few guys (Lenzy, Salerno) aren't listed, but have one year left. 

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Article/Notre-Dames-2023-Scholarship-Chart-Dec-9-200027788/

And another article

https://www.onefootdown.com/2021/7/13/22576341/notre-dame-football-recruiting-2023-scholarship-chart-fighting-irish-eligibility-nd-news-sports

11498771.png

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

I believe Salerno accepted a post-season all-star game invite. One of the military ones I believe, so he shouldn't be back. Also, rumor was Lenzy wasn't asked back either, which was a little surprising to me. He was open all year long, Pyne just never saw him while he stared down Mayer. 

I could be wrong, but I think we have to be back to the 85 limit to start the season?

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

I believe Salerno accepted a post-season all-star game invite. One of the military ones I believe, so he shouldn't be back. Also, rumor was Lenzy wasn't asked back either, which was a little surprising to me. He was open all year long, Pyne just never saw him while he stared down Mayer. 

I could be wrong, but I think we have to be back to the 85 limit to start the season?

I think we are up to 100 until the covid year guys age out. 

Salerno took the SR walk (with parents) too, but Tommy said he was trying to change his mind. 

• Heart 1

Joseph hasnt made a decision yet from my understanding, so technically, ND is still at 94 scholarships for 2023.

Not sure about the Covid 100 thing, but from my understanding, they need to be at 85 by the start of fall semester 2023. I think the Covid exception is done now for the 100 man limit.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

Joseph hasnt made a decision yet from my understanding, so technically, ND is still at 94 scholarships for 2023.

Not sure about the Covid 100 thing, but from my understanding, they need to be at 85 by the start of fall semester 2023. I think the Covid exception is done now for the 100 man limit.

Sort of what I thought I'd seen but couldn't remember for sure. 

• Heart 1

What do you guys think about Lenzy?  I thought he was a great blocking WR.   He might not be the best actual receiver, but I thought he was  good role piece.  I agree - he probably was open a bunch and Pyne didn't hit him, but he did have some drops, but he did have that one amazing catch.  I'd have him back if he wanted to.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

That's correct. The 85-man limit is back in effect starting next season.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, irishrush said:

What do you guys think about Lenzy?  I thought he was a great blocking WR.   He might not be the best actual receiver, but I thought he was  good role piece.  I agree - he probably was open a bunch and Pyne didn't hit him, but he did have some drops, but he did have that one amazing catch.  I'd have him back if he wanted to.

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. He’s a nice role player, can run the jet sweep and stretch the defence. I feel like with a descent OC, him and Tyree would get a bunch of screens and plays to get them the ball in space. As much as I’d like both to stay, I feel it’s in their best interest to move one. 

4 hours ago, irishrush said:

I think many thought he might be a similar player as Will Fuller.  He's fast for sure, like Fuller.  However he does not have the vision, catching, or elusiveness.  At this point I'm guessing they see more potential with some of the youngsters who may be more complete in their WR skill sets, and can let him go in favor of them.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

I sure hope we are back to 85 (as a rule). I don't like that they removed the 25 cap either for 22 and 23 classes. 

They need to get a handle of things (rules). I'm OK with extra guys if kids leave via the portal, but teams are working the rules. USC totally screwed the system lol... IIRC, they abused the "new-coach rule" too.... They were allowed to kick players off the roster, still keep them on scholarship, and not count them.... IIRC, 7 kids... that's BS lol... 

• Leprechaun 1

On 12/9/2022 at 3:48 PM, irishrush said:

No thanks... get someone in that does all facets of the position capably...

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to revive this topic if someone can help me understand how they're getting from 94 scholarships to 85 by the fall.  Seems to me we'll be adding 2 more before long (assume portal adds - Fiske? and a QB?).

I know there is some natural attrition, but unless we get a bunch of late portal exits, I don't count 11 guys on the roster that aren't expected to be there in the fall.

How do they get to 85?

1 hour ago, JeffV said:

I'd love to revive this topic if someone can help me understand how they're getting from 94 scholarships to 85 by the fall.  Seems to me we'll be adding 2 more before long (assume portal adds - Fiske? and a QB?).

I know there is some natural attrition, but unless we get a bunch of late portal exits, I don't count 11 guys on the roster that aren't expected to be there in the fall.

How do they get to 85?

I believe they are at 92 scholarship players right now and will look to add 2-3 more. I can find 7 that are likely to move on. So it will be interesting to find those last 2-3 if transfer guys become available. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JeffV said:

How do they get to 85?

There will be attrition after spring practice heading into the summer.  Don't know if there will be 11 that will leave.  Plus it seems like that past couple years there's at least one who retires due to injuries and is moved off the football scholarship to another type.

The NCAA created this with the extra Covid year.  I don't think it should go back to 85 until all those players are cycled out.

• Heart 4

44 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

There will be attrition after spring practice heading into the summer.  Don't know if there will be 11 that will leave.  Plus it seems like that past couple years there's at least one who retires due to injuries and is moved off the football scholarship to another type.

The NCAA created this with the extra Covid year.  I don't think it should go back to 85 until all those players are cycled out.

I thought there was some grace until the covid guys aged out, but I've read/heard different things. Some say grace, some say back to 85 this year. I hope it's a clean cut this year, and back to 85 lol... 

There's also a new rule that NEW coaches have grace on the 25 rule, and perhaps on the 85 rule for a year (due to defections, portal, etc.)... Not sure when Freeman's clock started, or ends.... 

It's a mystery to me lol.. 

• Heart 2

Players in bold have a COVID exemption option available. Players with a + have exercised that COVID exemption to play in 2023. Players with an * have redshirted. Players with a ^ redshirted for the first time primarily because of medical reasons.

The Irish have to be at 85 scholarships or fewer by the first day of fall-semester classes (Aug. 22) and are currently at 94 in late December.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/notre-dame-football-2023-scholarship-chart

Notre Dame Football Scholarship Chart 2023
Total (94) Freshman Eligibility (38) Sophomore Eligibility (21) Junior Eligibility (15) Senior Eligibility (20)

QB

(4)

Angeli*

Minchey

Buchner^

Powlus^

RB

(6)

Love

Payne*

Price^

Diggs

Estimé

Tyree

WR

(10)

Flores

Greathouse

James

KK Smith

Merriweather

Thomas*

Colzie

Styles

Salerno*+

K. Smith*+

TE

(6)

Flanagan

Raridon

Staes

Bauman^

Evans

Sherwood

OT

(9)

Absher

Chan*

Jagusah

Wagner*

Fisher^

Johnson*

Alt

Baker*

Carmody*

OG

(7)

Craig*

Otting

Pendleton

Schrauth*

Terek

Spindler*

Kristofic*

C

(2)

Coogan*

Correll*

DE

(9)

Burnham*

Gobaira*

Mukam

Traore

Vernon

Ehrensberger*

Ademilola*

Botelho

O-Mensah*

DT

(8)

Ford*

Hinish*

Houstan

Onye*

Rubio*

Keanaaina^

Cross*

Mills

LB

(8)

Ausberry

Bowen

Zinter

Schweitzer*

Tuihalamaka

Kollie

Bertrand*

Liufau*

RV

(3)

Sneed*

Ziegler*

Kiser*

S

(8)

Hillman

Minich

Shuler

Walters*

Watts*

Brown*

Henderson

Joseph*

CB

(9)

Bell

Gray

Barnes*

Mickey

Morrison

Riley*

Tucker*

Hart*

Lewis

ST

(5)

McFerson*

Bryan*

Peitsch*

Shrader+

Vinson+

*Has taken a redshirt season. ^Has taken a medical redshirt. BOLD: Bonus COVID season option available. +Bonus COVID season option applied for fifth (or sixth) season.
  • Heart 2