2023 Roster Math & Scholarship Chart

• 1 month later...

On the roster, still seems math still is a bit out of whack. 

24 signed, 5 new transfers. 

The 23 class looks like we'll be #10. Disappointing... given the start.

21 and 22 were better, and IMO both underrated (especially Alt21 and Morrison22)... 

24 rank is banked on Carr right now. Hope that sticks... 

• Heart 1

Note that the top 10 classes in 2023 seem to have more talent than past years. Top classes have more of a concentration of four and five stars than past. Probably due to NIL and certain schools (ND included) really doubling down on building out their recruiting infrastructure.

• 4 weeks later...

While this concept goes against what some believe that ND should stand for, I believe post Spring practice (and post Spring Semester), you are going to see Freeman have to sell (or tell) some (9?) players that their football careers are done at ND.

Either hit the transfer portal or stay at ND on scholarship (but not be part of the football team). There is an NCAA rule which lets a player at a school with a new coach (only first two seasons) continue to get a scholarship and not count vs the 85 limit but they have to quit the team. Sort of like the medical retirement without the "permanent" injury requirement.

For me, while harsh, this is part of what comes with NIL, etc. The affected players are also able to stay at ND and get their degrees for free. 

• Heart 1

Thanks.  Wow.  That's the reality I was dreading.  Seems horrible, but inevitable. The Covid rules created some extra chaos, for sure.

I didn't know about the 1st year exception, so that's a nice loophole, but I bet there aren't many on scholarship that don't harbor some sort of NFL dream.  You wouldn't see many scholarship guys walking away from football unless it's a medical retirement.

If every odd man out from every position battle transfers in the spring window, then we'll find 9.  Short of that, there are going to be some newsworthy surprises.  1 QB, 1/2 RBs, 1 WR, 1/2 OL, 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 CB.  Other position groups are pretty thin and guys can get in the rotation, so I wouldn't expect transfers from TE, S.  Spring tryouts, here we come!

49 minutes ago, JeffV said:

Thanks.  Wow.  That's the reality I was dreading.  Seems horrible, but inevitable. The Covid rules created some extra chaos, for sure.

I didn't know about the 1st year exception, so that's a nice loophole, but I bet there aren't many on scholarship that don't harbor some sort of NFL dream.  You wouldn't see many scholarship guys walking away from football unless it's a medical retirement.

If every odd man out from every position battle transfers in the spring window, then we'll find 9.  Short of that, there are going to be some newsworthy surprises.  1 QB, 1/2 RBs, 1 WR, 1/2 OL, 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 CB.  Other position groups are pretty thin and guys can get in the rotation, so I wouldn't expect transfers from TE, S.  Spring tryouts, here we come!

TBH, I have lost track of everyone who is playing ST for the Irish, but there might one or two kickers/punters on the list as well. I think there is only one LS on scholarship at this point. 

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 1

2 hours ago, JeffV said:

Yes Spring will really shake the tree and some leaves will fall. I think especially positions that are impacted by the coaching change. It’s harsh , unfortunate for the players, but I agree with jbrown this is what college football has become. I hope they take advantage of that free education but living a dream for a young kid is hard to end.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Do covid years for Srs count against numbers ala Hartman?

Yes that's what's gonna be chaos.  They have the eligibility exemption, but the scholarship limit has run out.  85 by fall for all teams.

Edited by JeffV
  • Heart 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:13 PM, JeffV said:

Yes that's what's gonna be chaos.  They have the eligibility exemption, but the scholarship limit has run out.  85 by fall for all teams.

That makes no sense.  If the NCAA grants players with special exemptions then the players shouldn't count against the cap.  It will all naturally play itself out through attrition.

• Heart 1