2023 Roster Math & Scholarship Chart

12 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Players in bold have a COVID exemption option available. Players with a + have exercised that COVID exemption to play in 2023. Players with an * have redshirted. Players with a ^ redshirted for the first time primarily because of medical reasons.

The Irish have to be at 85 scholarships or fewer by the first day of fall-semester classes (Aug. 22) and are currently at 94 in late December.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/notre-dame-football-2023-scholarship-chart

Notre Dame Football Scholarship Chart 2023
Total (94) Freshman Eligibility (38) Sophomore Eligibility (21) Junior Eligibility (15) Senior Eligibility (20)

QB

(4)

Angeli*

Minchey

Buchner^

Powlus^

RB

(6)

Love

Payne*

Price^

Diggs

Estimé

Tyree

WR

(10)

Flores

Greathouse

James

KK Smith

Merriweather

Thomas*

Colzie

Styles

Salerno*+

K. Smith*+

TE

(6)

Flanagan

Raridon

Staes

Bauman^

Evans

Sherwood

OT

(9)

Absher

Chan*

Jagusah

Wagner*

Fisher^

Johnson*

Alt

Baker*

Carmody*

OG

(7)

Craig*

Otting

Pendleton

Schrauth*

Terek

Spindler*

Kristofic*

C

(2)

Coogan*

Correll*

DE

(9)

Burnham*

Gobaira*

Mukam

Traore

Vernon

Ehrensberger*

Ademilola*

Botelho

O-Mensah*

DT

(8)

Ford*

Hinish*

Houstan

Onye*

Rubio*

Keanaaina^

Cross*

Mills

LB

(8)

Ausberry

Bowen

Zinter

Schweitzer*

Tuihalamaka

Kollie

Bertrand*

Liufau*

RV

(3)

Sneed*

Ziegler*

Kiser*

S

(8)

Hillman

Minich

Shuler

Walters*

Watts*

Brown*

Henderson

Joseph*

CB

(9)

Bell

Gray

Barnes*

Mickey

Morrison

Riley*

Tucker*

Hart*

Lewis

ST

(5)

McFerson*

Bryan*

Peitsch*

Shrader+

Vinson+

*Has taken a redshirt season. ^Has taken a medical redshirt. BOLD: Bonus COVID season option available. +Bonus COVID season option applied for fifth (or sixth) season.

Tyree, Styles , Baker, Lewis , Joseph, Kiser, Walters , Riley, Tucker, Barnes, Ehrensberger are my guesses 

• Heart 2

17 minutes ago, Burkdd0012 said:

Tyree, Styles , Baker, Lewis , Joseph, Kiser, Walters , Riley, Tucker, Barnes, Ehrensberger are my guesses 

I agree with most names. But with 2 RB decommits, Tyree might stay. Kiser is a starter, so doubt he leaves. And the Ehrensberger will stay for degree. If he graduates in the spring, maybe?

2 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I agree with most names. But with 2 RB decommits, Tyree might stay. Kiser is a starter, so doubt he leaves. And the Ehrensberger will stay for degree. If he graduates in the spring, maybe?

Tyree didn’t play this year with current roster and they have Love who going to play Freshman year. It’s time to move on if I am him maybe go to Houston??? I doubt Kiser gets asked back for 6 th year 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Burkdd0012 said:

Tyree didn’t play this year with current roster and they have Love who going to play Freshman year. It’s time to move on if I am him maybe go to Houston??? I doubt Kiser gets asked back for 6 th year 

Kiser will be asked. He led some stats on the team. 

Tyree should move to slot permanently. 

I have a feeling that Love will be on D.... neither would surprise me. 

• Heart 1

Thanks all.  Love the suggested transfers.  That's what I'm getting at, but not sure I see all those, though.  Maybe a couple after the bowl game.  Joseph to the NFL, maybe Ademilola, too??  Add a couple of the names that aren't likely to start or get rotation, sure - there will be a few.  If they don't enter the portal right after the bowl game, I expect most will stick around and compete for time (and/or to get their degree).

But 10 or 11, even with injuries??  I just don't see it. 

What happens then?  Is ND pulling scholarships like Ole Miss?  Is August a tryout for a few guys?  E.g. I was surprised with Salerno coming back, considering the numbers.  The Covid years are most of the overage, for sure.  I'm surprised it's a hard 85 number..  It's going to be interesting. 

Hadn't thought of the NIL angle - won't be long before we see that somewhere.

1 hour ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Kiser will be asked. He led some stats on the team. 

Tyree should move to slot permanently. 

I have a feeling that Love will be on D.... neither would surprise me. 

No way Love goes to D.  He has the skill set that nobody else on the team has.  Kiser for sure is staying.  Tyree for sure should say, I'm the utility guy.  I know everything at the rb position, put in the slot and let me learn that. Let me run punts back.  Treat me as an everything back to get my touches.  Which, I think he can do if he trains there.  

• Heart 4

45 minutes ago, coltssb said:

No way Love goes to D.  He has the skill set that nobody else on the team has.  Kiser for sure is staying.  Tyree for sure should say, I'm the utility guy.  I know everything at the rb position, put in the slot and let me learn that. Let me run punts back.  Treat me as an everything back to get my touches.  Which, I think he can do if he trains there.  

l agree his (Love) O has blown up this year. But earlier, he was recruited as a DB, then athlete, and now a RB. 

He'll need to improve/develop his catching skills to get a lot snaps at APB. If he sticks at RB, he'll be used mostly outside, and in zone blocking sets. ND didn't do that much the last couple years. Great thing, he's been a good blocker (run and pass at CBC), so that helps getting early snaps). 

Agree 100% on Tyree. But he could leave and go somewhere that would use him as an APB. 

5 hours ago, coltssb said:

They asked him to play slot he said no 

4 hours ago, coltssb said:

That’s unfortunate. He should look at Theo Riddick. He’s not going to be the bell cow in the NFL like a Derrick Henry. 

It’s one of reasons he was in dog house last season. I understand wanting to be a rb but if the team needs a slot guy come on man do your job 

On 12/24/2022 at 6:55 AM, Synoptico said:

Also, someone will likely get injured this spring. 

That doesnt change scholarship numbers unless it is a career ending injury where they can never play football again.

Tyree is not really a slot WR, just because a back is decent at catching the ball out of the backfield, doesnt make him a good slot WR.

• Heart 2

13 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

That doesnt change scholarship numbers unless it is a career ending injury where they can never play football again.

Tyree is not really a slot WR, just because a back is decent at catching the ball out of the backfield, doesnt make him a good slot WR.

Yeah im saying they will lose a guy or two to medical issues where they are no longer counted, ie Tonona, a Senior who gets hurt and departs. Always seem to be 1 or 2 retire for medical reasons. 

• Heart 2

On 12/26/2022 at 8:11 PM, NDhoosier said:

Sure, he's not a slot WR... now. He's an APB, who wants to be a #1 RB. He's not a #1 RB type. Most good APBs can run slot routes too. He has speed to be both. Just not vision and size to be a #1 RB. 

• Heart 2

26 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I disagree, I still think Tyree can be a very good back if used properly. RBs get pushed out to the slot and go up against LBs quite often. Tyree would not look as good going against corners/nickels.

The question is how does he get used properly?  I'm not entirely certain.  In the times he has been used he hasn't seperated himself from the other backs on the roster.  His production as a whole has been lacking by comparison.

He isn't a between the tackles runner like Estime or Diggs.  Unfortunately we aren't running better misdirection plays in our offense that may help him.  And our screen game isn't the greatest either.  Not sure what's going to change for him and he's surrounded by a talented RB room that's getting more crowded.

I think the fact that defenses were constantly stacking the boxes against us made Tyree's game that much more difficult. You had to use the bulldozer in Estime and run it up the middle. I think the if the offense forced the defense to spread out and the safeties to play back like normal, Tyree could do well. He is still among fastest on the team and he has amazing agility.

I agree that misdirection and screen game is more of his style, but having 9-10 in the box kind of makes those obsolete. 

• Heart 3

On 12/24/2022 at 1:52 PM, coltssb said:

Would be surprised if Tyree stays. RB room overflowing and I’m sure he will want more snaps. 
Same with Kiser really. PFF rated him as ND top defender while playing half the snaps of everyone else. Believe he has 2 yrs eligibility and may take his talents elsewhere. 
Kollie playing over Marist at Will may also have Marist heading elsewhere. 
Be surprised if linebacker room isnt thinned out. 

• Heart 1