Incoming Transfer Portal Tracker

50 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Brian Driskell mentioned that Rudolph was to be in South Bend for a formal interview today. Perhaps ND felt that Rudolph could not act as a member of staff since his hiring is not yet official and did not want Lunsford on campus until it was.

Or perhaps Rudolph did not want Lunsford.

Or perhaps there is something else (NIL?) going on...

We shall see.

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

ND staff liked what they had for OL next year. They were simply doing their due diligence, but Lunsford was never officially offered. This is a case of ND backing out and sticking with what they have.

It does not make sense to tell him to come visit on Monday and then tell him don't bother on Tuesday.

Who knows but 247 reported that both LSU and Arkansas had already offered him.

per 247….”So how does LSU stack up? If Lunsford is looking for immediate playing time, then the Tigers may be knocked down in the pecking order. The Tigers return a starting group, so if they did add Lunsford to the mix it could be seen as more of a depth move with a chance to compete. One thing to keep of note as the recruitment develops is how fellow SEC West member Arkansas fares. The Razorbacks hired a new offensive coordinator in Dan Enos, who just so happens to have been with Lunsford at his previous stop at Maryland.”

Transfer portal opens up again (I think) after spring practice.  Guessing the staff wants to evaluate their internal options at guard especially with a new OL coach.  If they don't like the options after spring practice, perhaps they start looking.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

ND staff liked what they had for OL next year. They were simply doing their due diligence, but Lunsford was never officially offered. This is a case of ND backing out and sticking with what they have.

Certainly, I just don’t see the OL as being an area that needs to be upgraded. OL recruiting has been stellar. 

• 2 months later...

Are there any likely incoming transfer targets at this point?  I don't see many grad transfers at a position of need, and it doesn't sound like there are many exceptions we could get accepted into school.

Feels like we're done for this year, no?

On 5/1/2023 at 12:34 PM, JeffV said:

Are there any likely incoming transfer targets at this point?  I don't see many grad transfers at a position of need, and it doesn't sound like there are many exceptions we could get accepted into school.

Feels like we're done for this year, no?

It's been pretty quiet. I thought ND would desperately try to find help at safety, at a minimum, but it sounds like ND is standing pat unless the stars align. I think that is a huge mistake - Brown, Henderson, and Watts will not get it done. I think Watts will be a good player, but I have no confidence in the other two (although, I guess it was huge that Brown stayed for a sixth season just for depth).

Not sure what other positions ND would go after. DL and WR were popular choices before Spring, but the DL seems to be in really good shape (better than entering Spring with guys like Onye, Ford, etc. stepping up). I was hoping ND would go after Kaleb Brown (former Top 100 recruit who OSU beat ND for), but ND isn't looking for a slot apparently. I think they are very confident in the three early enrollee freshman, but a veteran guy would sure help things. If they could find another guy like Kaleb Smith (former VT transfer who just retired from football), I think ND would take him.

One wildcard is QB. Can ND find a grad transfer who doesn't mind sitting on the bench? That's probably like trying to find a unicorn, but I don't see how the coaches could be confident in Angeli or Mickey if Hartman goes down.

• Heart 2

Faith posted a highlight reel for this kid (Carter).  Physical player, looks impressive.  But the comp would be a big leap.  He said he doesn't want to sit, so will be interesting to see what he does.

Kid is a player, but it smells like a "Best grad transfer Safety available" strategy to me.

6 hours ago, JeffV said:

Faith posted a highlight reel for this kid (Carter).  Physical player, looks impressive.  But the comp would be a big leap.  He said he doesn't want to sit, so will be interesting to see what he does.

Kid is a player, but it smells like a "Best grad transfer Safety available" strategy to me.

ND needs a quality body back there in case of injury. I think you are right but they also need someone. He should visit soon.