Pyne Appreciation

25 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

If I hadn't actually watched all the games, those numbers would be pretty impressive. Unfortunately, I did watch the games and know that those numbers DO NOT reflect the real story.

That said 8-2 is alot better than 2-8. I'd rather be watching a bowl game than contemplating 4-8.

• Cheers 1

FaithInIrish Forever
This post was recognized by FaithInIrish Forever!

"Great balanced appreciation post!"

AnTostal was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 10 points.

It’s hard for me to understand the disrespect he gets. 
He’s five feet nuthin’. 
He doesn’t have a huge arm. 
All he’s done is go 8-2 as a starter. In this, Freeman’s first year ever as a head coach, and with role model Rees as the OC. 

He’s not Caleb Williams. Okay. 

He’s a QB with limitations. If he’s the best you’ve got, (a) design an offense that works to his strengths, (b) go get a better QB, and (c) develop that QB. 

• Heart 4

I don’t have anything against Pyne. He gave it his all and is a ND guy through and through. It’s not his fault he’s limited in many ways. Those numbers obviously only tells a portion of the story. He did his best and was 8-2. This team could have folded after 0-2 and they didn’t. And Pyne gets some credit for that.

But ND needs a difference maker at QB. That’s not a shot at Pyne. Just the reality of college football today.

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

I don’t have anything against Pyne. He gave it his all and is a ND guy through and through. It’s not his fault he’s limited in many ways. Those numbers obviously only tells a portion of the story. He did his best and was 8-2. This team could have folded after 0-2 and they didn’t. And Pyne gets some credit for that.

But ND needs a difference maker at QB. That’s not a shot at Pyne. Just the reality of college football today.

Agree here. I knew this when I watched the first few plays of him against Cal. He never progressed and it is what it is. 
As for unrealistic expectations. I’d have to go back but when ND was scoring 35 plus points a game for 5 games straight was doing that despite the offense. Just like against SC, seven points in the first half and somehow ND was still in it. Pyne did his best. He knows how to control an offense which Buchner can learn from. But he so limited and locks on Mayer every series. That is his downfall. Oh, and being short…

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

Agree here. I knew this when I watched the first few plays of him against Cal. He never progressed and it is what it is. 
As for unrealistic expectations. I’d have to go back but when ND was scoring 35 plus points a game for 5 games straight was doing that despite the offense. Just like against SC, seven points in the first half and somehow ND was still in it. Pyne did his best. He knows how to control an offense which Buchner can learn from. But he so limited and locks on Mayer every series. That is his downfall. Oh, and being short…

Pyne with Mayer...serviceable.  Pyne without Mayer in 2023?  Yikes.  

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

13 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I'd change the tweet.

Instead of "fury of a passionate fan base in 2022"...

More like, "fury of an unrealistic fan base in 2022"...

He's a limited QB, who outperformed realistic expectation. And worked hard, hung in, and did well for us. 

Agreed. I appreciate what he did for ND this year and last year against Wisconsin. I have always wondered if his throw to Kevin Austin (a little behind him that Austin dropped wide open for a big gain during the comeback) was completed against Cincy would that have changed the course of his time and that season. In my opinion he is the ultimate backup qb. He did his job and was serviceable throughout most of the year. I don’t think he is a great player by any means, but you can argue he saved ND from a miserable year. The guys seem to like him and play hard around him which is a good sign. Unfortunately for him and not fault of his own people took out their frustration on him, especially after watching CW on Saturday Night. Thanks for making it a manageable season and best of luck in the future to Pyne!

• Heart 1

Viewed in a vacuum, those stats look spiffy. We all watched the games. This is one of the times where numbers lie. 

I'm done with participation trophies. It's not his fault he's limited. Fine. 

I blame the staff for putting ND in this position. There should be a better option on the roster. I don't understand how they missed on every elite talent. We can't get one to South Bend, not one? Don't give me Kiel and Jurko. stars be damned. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, DamshaBua said:

Viewed in a vacuum, those stats look spiffy. We all watched the games. This is one of the times where numbers lie. 

I blame the staff for putting ND in this position. There should be a better option on the roster. I don't understand how they missed on every elite talent. We can't get one to South Bend, not one? Don't give me Kiel and Jurko. stars be damned. 

It is mind boggling that ND has had two-ish decent quarterbacks in 20+ years. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, DamshaBua said:

Its amazing that you get such top tier talent playing QB at schools like Pitt and UNC, where the chances of a Conference Championship are slim to none, let alone a National Championship.  Yet, a school like ND that is in the national spotlight every season, and fairly often in the CFP conversation, can't land diddly squat for a QB.

• Heart 2

21 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Its amazing that you get such top tier talent playing QB at schools like Pitt and UNC, where the chances of a Conference Championship are slim to none, let alone a National Championship.  Yet, a school like ND that is in the national spotlight every season, and fairly often in the CFP conversation, can't land diddly squat for a QB.

It is absolutely mind boggling 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:58 PM, NYGoldenDomer said:

This is not to say that those QB's who go elsewhere aren't quality students..I have no idea.  They might be.  That said, if you want to major in football, ND isn't the place you go. Further, ND is in Indiana.  The SEC isn't.  Most of the ACC isn't. The Big 10 generally doen't have the top QB's either.

Its harder to get a high level QB who is looking to go to the NFL to come play at Notre Dame.  Just is. 

6 hours ago, retch10 said:

This is not to say that those QB's who go elsewhere aren't quality students..I have no idea.  They might be.  That said, if you want to major in football, ND isn't the place you go. Further, ND is in Indiana.  The SEC isn't.  Most of the ACC isn't. The Big 10 generally doen't have the top QB's either.

Its harder to get a high level QB who is looking to go to the NFL to come play at Notre Dame.  Just is. 

Yea I get that.  In this specific example it is pretty obvious I was pointing toward Kenny Pickett formally of Pitt and Drake Maye currently with UNC.  Pittsburgh, PA isn't exactly a tropical paradise when compared with South Bend, IN.  Granted, I will concede that its much more of a metropolitan area so I can see why it would be preferable over bumblefuk, IN.  UNC is also an academic school, while not on the level of an ND or Stanford.  Maybe closer to Northwestern?  I won't pretend to know either of these kid's academic profiles though.  All I am saying is if you wanna make it big, you'd think you'd wanna play somewhere that is high profile and in the national spotlight more often than not.  But I digress...my NFL QB is Daniel Jones lol.  He went to Duke and was almost a top 5 draft pick.  I will forever argue that the Giants are idiots and probably could have still landed him in the 3rd round.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Yea I get that.  In this specific example it is pretty obvious I was pointing toward Kenny Pickett formally of Pitt and Drake Maye currently with UNC.  Pittsburgh, PA isn't exactly a tropical paradise when compared with South Bend, IN.  Granted, I will concede that its much more of a metropolitan area so I can see why it would be preferable over bumblefuk, IN.  UNC is also an academic school, while not on the level of an ND or Stanford.  Maybe closer to Northwestern?  I won't pretend to know either of these kid's academic profiles though.  All I am saying is if you wanna make it big, you'd think you'd wanna play somewhere that is high profile and in the national spotlight more often than not.  But I digress...my NFL QB is Daniel Jones lol.  He went to Duke and was almost a top 5 draft pick.  I will forever argue that the Giants are idiots and probably could have still landed him in the 3rd round.

Sure. I'm just speaking in generalities.  

I just don't see the nation's top 10 high school QB's even considering Notre Dame.  For the reasons I specified.  Then you have to get down to the individual QB's and their circumstance.  WE look at Notre Dame as NOTRE DAME.  Most 17 years olds don't.  Many would put ND on par with a Pitt in terms of an opportunity.  In fact, Minchey chose Pitt over ND originally. Now..weigh in that there is far more pressure on an ND quarterback than a Pitt QB.  Now, consider that proximity to family might be an issue. Now consider all the other factors that go into choosing a college outside of football.  

I have a feeling that we are going to have to really hit on a Minchey or a Carr FIRST in order to make Notre Dame..NOTRE DAME..again before we can start to think about being attractive to a top level QB.  I say that knowing full well that it might never happen.  

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I didn't see that coming. College football free agency here we come

Agreed college football free agency, smh. What has college athletics come, I am fine with guys opting out not wanting to play because they are turning pro. But opting out to transfer to another school is just craziness. Sad time for college athletics in my opinion.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1