USC and UCLA to the Big ten

10 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Notre Dame would always have a spot in a conference... too much money comes with Notre Dame.

Having said, I still hope they remain independent.

I think that will be difficult to do in the changing face of this game. 

1 hour ago, irishrush said:

Aren't we stuck with the ACC unless the ACC implodes?  I thought we had an agreement that if we joined one it had to be the ACC through mid 2030's.

If there's enough money on the table, I'm confident the lawyers can get out of any arrangement with the ACC.

46 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

Independence is highly overrated and antiquated. 

Mostly agree but the NBC contract can't possibly be overrated. ...it's huge part of our sales pitch to talent and can't be  comfortably incorporated into conferences (thus, these wonky conference arrangements we keep trying to maintain).

2 hours ago, irishrush said:

Aren't we stuck with the ACC unless the ACC implodes?  I thought we had an agreement that if we joined one it had to be the ACC through mid 2030's.

I know they have agreements with their other teams that they can’t leave u til 2036, I believe. The price is Godly to get out. Meaning, probably with just staying until then. 

1 hour ago, Rocketsan said:

Independence is highly overrated and antiquated. 

Meh.  We’ll see how this 24 team arrangement works out with Rutgers women’s lacrosse team has a match AT USC. The money is said to be 80 million so that would easily cover it. But now you have kids missing classes more. Remember not all teams charter like football teams do. 
Also, there’s going to be lots of crying when matchups aren’t fair and Ohio State misses out on USC, Penn State, Michigan State, and Wisky one year and the substitute will be Rutgers, Northwestern, Maryland, and IU.  Unbalance schedules suck. 
Lastly, ND must have a nice contract already with NBC because they haven’t left in all these years. It also could set up an additional agreement. Also, ND hardly needs the money. They are loaded. Sure 80 million is nice, but I’m sure they can get that with just being a Catholic Church. 

1 hour ago, soulpatch said:

Mostly agree but the NBC contract can't possibly be overrated. ...it's huge part of our sales pitch to talent and can't be  comfortably incorporated into conferences (thus, these wonky conference arrangements we keep trying to maintain).

In this day and age of channels and streaming, that NBC contract isn’t as lucrative as it once was…and there’s only three more years on that deal…pray the playoff doors don’t shut us out.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

In this day and age of channels and streaming, that NBC contract isn’t as lucrative as it once was…and there’s only three more years on that deal…pray the playoff doors don’t shut us out.

I'm not talking dollar value. I'm talking selling guaranteed, national television audiences to recruits. And, is the argument that NBC will suddenly shut us out, after the DavInghEis years? 

Here’s the thing. For every big game you’re going to have IU and Northwestern. Not a great draw. 
Also, what has Rutgers, Nebraska, and Maryland exactly brought to the b10 in the past ten years?  Bigger isn’t always better. 

3 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

so am I...every big game is on national tv....

every big game of good teams, but what about when a big team plays a lesser team? Alabama and Georgia were both on the SEC Network at one time last year (because a Bama friend of mine was complaining). EVERY Notre Dame game is on a national TV station... I am aware of the Peacock thing, but it was a one time thing and I do not believe anything else has been mentioned.

Independence allows ND to be unique and maintain its national brand. We shall see here soon though...

Here’s a really interesting quandary for UCLA, a public institution in the State of California:

The State of California forbids public funds from being used for travel to Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa (among 20 states total) due to those states’ political stances on issues like gender concerns. 

It will be fun to watch that process play out.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/will-california-law-allow-ucla-to-play-in-the-big-ten-11657315232

42 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Here’s a really interesting quandary for UCLA, a public institution in the State of California:

The State of California forbids public funds from being used for travel to Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa (among 20 states total) due to those states’ political stances on issues like gender concerns. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/will-california-law-allow-ucla-to-play-in-the-big-ten-11657315232

Pay walled, but they can get donors to pay, that is the loophole. Ridiculous vitue signaling again by my idiot governor.

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

Didn't Newsome just go to a state on that list in spite of the ban?  Maybe they can divide the conference into Red/ Blue divisions lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

16 hours ago, AnTostal said:

so stupid... only one political side would do something like that and of course it is from California. It's cool, I am sure they will show their own hypocrisy again when it comes to big money.

Edited by NDhoosier

• 2 months later...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34651932/sources-acc-administrators-had-informal-discussions-possible-pac-12-big-12-additions-merger

After USC and UCLA announced their intention to join the Big Ten this summer, ACC administrators had informal conversations regarding the possible additions of members of the Big 12 and Pac-12 or a potential merger of the three leagues, according to several sources.

Multiple other ACC sources told ESPN that expansion remains a discussion, but as one administrator noted, "nothing is imminent."

Citing text messages obtained via a Freedom of Information request, The News & Observer reported Friday that North Carolina chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and athletic director Bubba Cunningham had discussed a potential "partnership" with the two Power 5 leagues who'd recently lost members in realignment, including references to a conversation Cunningham had with former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney.

Cunningham told ESPN on Friday that those texts represented a "historical account of what we were talking about on June 30" in the immediate aftermath of the USC and UCLA news, but they did not necessarily reflect the current thinking.

Both the Big 12 and Pac 12 have media rights deals expiring in the next two years. The ACC's package with ESPN runs through 2036, and with that deal, each of the 14 existing members -- along with Notre Dame in all sports except football -- signed over its media rights to the league through the terms of that TV contract, meaning no teams could leave the ACC for another league without losing access to television broadcasts of their games until 2036. This, numerous administrators have said, remains the binding force that affords the ACC more time to weigh its options.

Still, a large -- and growing -- revenue gap exists between the ACC (which generated a record $578 million in the 2020-21 fiscal year) and the SEC and Big Ten, the latter of which recently agreed to a new television package that will generate more than $1 billion annually.