'23 RB Sedrick Irvin, Jr. Decommits

This was not totally unexpected. ND wants 2 RBs in the class. They likely land 4-star Jayden Limar (Washington) next week. They are involved with 4-star Jeremiah Love (Missouri) and 5-star Richard Young (Florida) who both recently scheduled officials.

Lots of changes around the RB situation since he committed. Seemed like a talent and I hate to lose him but wish him well. 

This provides an early and great litmus test of how real our recruitment game is. If you lose a lower-ranked recruit, do you have to go lower in the rankings to backfill or do you level up?

2 hours ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I filed this in 2023 recruits. I think he was committed to Lance Taylor. Wonder if Louisville is recruiting him? Was that Taylors new school? I think so.

That would make a lot of sense

2 hours ago, Domers23 said:

According to driskal’s podcast, ND told irvin that they didn’t have room for him anymore. 

I don’t know much about the ins and outs of recruiting, but it seems surprising to me that ND would do this to him after he announced. Is this something that happens regularly? I could see it with the SEC schools, just didn’t think that ND went down that road.

8 hours ago, jimbo said:

I don’t know much about the ins and outs of recruiting, but it seems surprising to me that ND would do this to him after he announced. Is this something that happens regularly? I could see it with the SEC schools, just didn’t think that ND went down that road.

It happens more with coaching changes. Don't forget he committed to the previous RB coach. 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Domers23 said:

According to driskal’s podcast, ND told irvin that they didn’t have room for him anymore. 

Does this indicate ND coaching has profound confidence in a pending commitment by Limar and/or Young?  Does it reflect the staff isn't too worried about the running back situation since Payne committed?  I still don't have confidence that Diggs will stay at ND, and read a recent comment that ND has to "recruit" him each year.

I think confidence is high on Limar, who is announcing this week and they are pushing hard for Jeremiyah Love, who they also feel good about.  Young is probably more of a long shot, but good news just getting him to campus.  If for some reason we could land all 3, Love could potentially be used as an ATH / slot type given his speed.

On 5/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, Domers23 said:

They did to a certain extent and the reason I mentioned the depth chart thing, lol. They told Irvin that they wanted Limar and Love, and were still going after Young (long shot 5*). Based on that conversation, Irvin probably understood it that way (which is accurate). The same thing happened with Jack Nickel last year at TE and ND ended up with Staes and Raridon (two amazing TEs)

Edited by NDhoosier

I don’t see anything wrong with being honest with players. Player’s have to expect the school they’re attending is going to continue to recruit players at their position. If a player doesn’t feel confident that they will beat out the new recruits for playing time or doesn’t want to be a backup than they transfer. It’s sad in a way but that is life we all have experienced similar disappointments. At least he realized earlier that it wasn’t the right fit for him. I wish him nothing but the best .

Edited by ND_JACK
  • Heart 1

So it sounds like there will be a "hit piece" on Freeman/ND published this upcoming week and it is going to be about this recruitment. Driskell at IB says he doesnt think it will be all that bad, just a part of a recruiting.

Stuff like this happens and I believe Notre Dame is at least honest with the players unlike other schools.

No matter what, even though it goes on everywhere, it’s never a good look to accept a players commitment and then turn around and tell him that he is no longer wanted. The optics just don’t look good especially when you are telling parents that you are going to love their kids as your own. No parent would pull their own kids scholarship or tell them they are no longer wanted. Again I understand this stuff happens but when your ND and again your recruiting spiel is your kid is going to be loved and taken care of as one of our own kids and then they do this of course people are going to talk shit.