'23 RB Sedrick Irvin, Jr. Decommits

23 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

No matter what, even though it goes on everywhere, it’s never a good look to accept a players commitment and then turn around and tell him that he is no longer wanted. The optics just don’t look good especially when you are telling parents that you are going to love their kids as your own. No parent would pull their own kids scholarship or tell them they are no longer wanted. Again I understand this stuff happens but when your ND and again your recruiting spiel is your kid is going to be loved and taken care of as one of our own kids and then they do this of course people are going to talk shit.

That’s how rumors get started. We don’t know what he was told, if anything.

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

That’s how rumors get started. We don’t know what he was told, if anything.

There have been reports that he was told that we are looking at 3 other backs and we’re willing to take them all. He understood the message. I guess we will see when the piece comes out but ND insiders have said as much.

Edited by ndfanatic78

On 5/28/2022 at 10:09 AM, ndfanatic78 said:

No matter what, even though it goes on everywhere, it’s never a good look to accept a players commitment and then turn around and tell him that he is no longer wanted. The optics just don’t look good especially when you are telling parents that you are going to love their kids as your own. No parent would pull their own kids scholarship or tell them they are no longer wanted. Again I understand this stuff happens but when your ND and again your recruiting spiel is your kid is going to be loved and taken care of as one of our own kids and then they do this of course people are going to talk shit.

I agree with you, but the caveat is that he committed to the previous coaching staff.

23 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

There have been reports that he was told that we are looking at 3 other backs and we’re willing to take them all. He understood the message. I guess we will see when the piece comes out but ND insiders have said as much.

I am not saying we are not recruiting other RBs because we obviously are. I just said WE do not know what conversations the coaching staff had with him. 

1 hour ago, ND_JACK said:

I am not saying we are not recruiting other RBs because we obviously are. I just said WE do not know what conversations the coaching staff had with him. 

I am saying according to some ND media insiders we do know what they said and what I posted is what they reported. This is a ND message board to discuss news about ND and that was news I heard from reputable ND reporters. 

Edited by ndfanatic78

It looks bad no question. But he was recruited by a running backs coach who is no longer here.  Not saying ND shouldn’t honor that pledge but if I was the kid, I would be happy they came up front at this moment so I at least time to go somewhere else. Also, why would I want to go to a school that has three guys already ahead of me, just got a transfer/frosh/ and got another incoming guy. Also looking to sign at least one more. That would tell me all I need to know. They want someone else and I would just move on. He’s going to bounce back and hopefully tears it up at the next level. 

How does it look bad? Signing day is 6+ months away and he has plenty of time to find another college.

CFB is big business now. These guys can get their's now so can take their lumps too. I can't see how this is an issue if we are serious about playing with the big boys. Kudos to Freeman and and co of getting what they felt was required done You know you are turning heads when the hit pieces are incoming. Bring it on.

• Leprechaun 1

10 hours ago, Soko said:

How does it look bad? Signing day is 6+ months away and he has plenty of time to find another college.

CFB is big business now. These guys can get their's now so can take their lumps too. I can't see how this is an issue if we are serious about playing with the big boys. Kudos to Freeman and and co of getting what they felt was required done You know you are turning heads when the hit pieces are incoming. Bring it on.

It looks bad because ND isn’t known to do this. It looks bad because other teams can use this as negative recruiting. Sure, ND may offer you and you may get your hopes up high, but if they think there is someone better than they will pull your scholarship away. ND says they care about you, it’s a family, they’ll take care of you and give you that top education….unless they don’t need you anymore. This is what the SEC does. This is why people cry football factories. And slaves…they should be paid. Yada yada yada. It looks bad. Plain and simple. 
Now I agree, in the next few years this may not matter because hopefully NIL is figured out. Maybe it stays the same and the Wild West continues for ever. If that happens, by all means, yell this is a business. 
Also, if this is how ND wants to operate than fine. But stop putting restrictions on things and stop trying to be an academic institution. Because this type of thing is not that. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

It looks bad because ND isn’t known to do this. It looks bad because other teams can use this as negative recruiting. Sure, ND may offer you and you may get your hopes up high, but if they think there is someone better than they will pull your scholarship away. ND says they care about you, it’s a family, they’ll take care of you and give you that top education….unless they don’t need you anymore. This is what the SEC does. This is why people cry football factories. And slaves…they should be paid. Yada yada yada. It looks bad. Plain and simple. 
Now I agree, in the next few years this may not matter because hopefully NIL is figured out. Maybe it stays the same and the Wild West continues for ever. If that happens, by all means, yell this is a business. 
Also, if this is how ND wants to operate than fine. But stop putting restrictions on things and stop trying to be an academic institution. Because this type of thing is not that. 

This is at least the third time that something like this has happened recently and it has not seemed to hurt ND before now. There was the OG from IMG who went to Michigan and Danny Mattingly from the Pacific NW (nephew of Don Mattingly)

27 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

This is at least the third time that something like this has happened recently and it has not seemed to hurt ND before now. There was the OG from IMG who went to Michigan and Danny Mattingly from the Pacific NW (nephew of Don Mattingly)

It happened last year with Jack Nickel. 

This is not a practice that ND wants to participate in. It boiled down to a new HC, new RB coach, and wanting a different mix at RB. Communication could have been improved earlier on potentially but this one wasn't blatant disregard or ditching a kid. I think Irvin will be a very good player at the school he chooses. 

• Heart 4

• 4 weeks later...