Harbaugh rumblings…

6 hours ago, JTennant said:

Saban runs a more successful college program than Harbaugh two totally different statements.

If you’re a GM and you need to make a coaching hire to run a successful NFL franchise, who are you picking?

You think Saban would take Stanford to BCS bowls?

Could Harbaugh sustain the incredible run at Bama? Probably not but I don’t have a lone criterion for judging a HC. 

The quote was, “He’s a better coach than Saban…”

I didn’t get that the question raised before was whether an NFL GM would/should hire Saban or Harbaugh. 

Hard to know what Saban would have done at that time at Stanford. Would/could he have been as successful there as Harbaugh at that time?  Sure!

They’ve both demonstrated ability. I know who I would take to coach ND or any other team I might think of. 
I’d take the Catholic. 🙂

Edited by AnTostal

2 hours ago, AnTostal said:

The quote was, “He’s a better coach than Saban…”

I didn’t get that the question raised before was whether an NFL GM would/should hire Saban or Harbaugh. 

Hard to know what Saban would have done at that time at Stanford. Would/could he have been as successful there as Harbaugh at that time?  Sure!

They’ve both demonstrated ability. I know who I would take to coach ND or any other team I might think of. 
I’d take the Catholic. 🙂

That would be a fair statement about ND; although I might potentially still disagree.. haven't thought about it much. 

However, I think you'd lose your job as an NFL GM or a small time school AD who's boosters weren't buying players challengers and Camaros so that they can win the mountain west. 

Saban can run a better program with a cohesive booster alliance but if the job description relies on the ability to coach ball or X and Os like the NFL or small time schools, I'd pick Harbaugh if it were my job on line. 

There are a lot of great coaches(better than those two) who we'll never hear about because their roster is garbage. 

1 hour ago, JTennant said:

That would be a fair statement about ND; although I might potentially still disagree.. haven't thought about it much. 

However, I think you'd lose your job as an NFL GM or a small time school AD who's boosters weren't buying players challengers and Camaros so that they can win the mountain west. 

Saban can run a better program with a cohesive booster alliance but if the job description relies on the ability to coach ball or X and Os like the NFL or small time schools, I'd pick Harbaugh if it were my job on line. 

There are a lot of great coaches(better than those two) who we'll never hear about because their roster is garbage. 

Other than maybe some high school coaches who can't/don't move to college or NFL, cream does seem to rise to the top. A Meyer going from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida for example.

58 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

could you imagine if both Harbaugh and Day both went to the NFL this year? We know who the Ohio State replacement would probably be, but what coach would Michigan go after AND get?

Gotta find a way to get them both in the same division (Bears/Lions ; Falcons/Panthers) etc. I loved Harbaugh vs Carroll NFL edition lol. 

19 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Someone on a hockey board that I frequent(NFL thread) posted that Harbaugh was flown to LV on the Raider's private jet.  They didn't post a source though so idk how legit it is.

I asked them for a source because I don't really care enough to look for one myself and all they told me was "Raider fan that knows someone inside their office.  Usually a pretty solid source." So, again, idk how legit.  Not doubting it, we had the same type of rumblings with BBK and the LSU jet a few months ago.

14 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

could you imagine if both Harbaugh and Day both went to the NFL this year? We know who the Ohio State replacement would probably be, but what coach would Michigan go after AND get?

Hopefully coaches who aren't as good at recruiting as their predecessors.  Let Freeman dominate the Midwest in that area.  Though OSU will pretty much always recruit for itself.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I asked them for a source because I don't really care enough to look for one myself and all they told me was "Raider fan that knows someone inside their office.  Usually a pretty solid source." So, again, idk how legit.  Not doubting it, we had the same type of rumblings with BBK and the LSU jet a few months ago.

It’s Stoops!!!

4 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Hopefully coaches who aren't as good at recruiting as their predecessors.  Let Freeman dominate the Midwest in that area.  Though OSU will pretty much always recruit for itself.

Head coach will impact recruiting above/below a given school's baseline. There is a chance that Ohio St will hire someone will  recruit below historical averages for them. If Fickell, then probably not since Cincinnati was highest Group of Five recruiting school I believe.

56 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Head coach will impact recruiting above/below a given school's baseline. There is a chance that Ohio St will hire someone will  recruit below historical averages for them. If Fickell, then probably not since Cincinnati was highest Group of Five recruiting school I believe.

I know how it works lol.