NIL and Portal ruining College football

15 hours ago, Blammm said:

Pro teams don't have to (1) prioritize anything other than on field performance and, to the extent ownership cares, maximize the owner's profits* and (2) worry about compliance with Title IX which will require football to subsidize equal opportunities in women's sports (which don't generate any net income).  University of Notre Dame Athletics Programs - College Factual

* Note:  Not all sports team owners care enough to make a profit from their sports teams. Some see it as a tax write off or an opportunity to gain fame or feel like a part of it.  The Packers wouldn't be publicly traded if it was all about profit because their ROI is garbage. The Green Bay Packers: Worst Investment EVER (businessinsider.com)

The Green Bay Packers are not the best example as they are the only team not privately owned. They are actually owned by the city. I don't have to time to go through your article but the team has to be at least making ends meet as I cant see the city subsidizing the team. I could totally be wrong but Green Bay is a small town and I really cant see the people being able to afford that. Again I am only assuming right now. I have not done research.

5 hours ago, coltssb said:

Saw JR Smith, yep that one, is getting an NIL deal for golfing at NC State. Yeah, because that’s what this was intended for….

JR Smith is one of the most famous person in college athletics and definitely the most mainstream famous person in non-revenue college athletics. A college athlete being paid by a company for his name, image, and/or likeness is exactly what NIL was intended for. Don't see what your logic is here? 

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Pregame said:

JR Smith is one of the most famous person in college athletics and definitely the most mainstream famous person in non-revenue college athletics. A college athlete being paid by a company for his name, image, and/or likeness is exactly what NIL was intended for. Don't see what your logic is here? 

I completely get what you’re saying….But shouldn’t a guy who has made “millions” of dollars playing in the NBA help or allow someone else who actually needs it get that NIL deal?  Why not have Jeff Bezos sign up and go to college to play tennis so he can get a Penn deal?  

8 minutes ago, coltssb said:

I completely get what you’re saying….But shouldn’t a guy who has made “millions” of dollars playing in the NBA help or allow someone else who actually needs it get that NIL deal?  Why not have Jeff Bezos sign up and go to college to play tennis so he can get a Penn deal?  

I do not see Manning, Brady, or Jordan turning down endorsement dollars because they do not need the money...

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, coltssb said:

You are talking about ethics there my man. There is no room for ethics in 'Merica. It's all about the mighty dollar and getting as many of them as you can and taking as many of them from others as you can. How do you think Bezos, Buffet, and Musk got so much. It wasn't thinking about should I do this or that it was just asking how do I get that other guys money into my pocket. This is the home of free market  Capitalism at its finest.

Sorry you guys can poop all over this post. I just couldn't resist.

Edited by ndfanatic78
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I do not see Manning, Brady, or Jordan turning down endorsement dollars because they do not need the money...

You’re right. But this sure feels like when watching “Dazed and Confused” where O’Bannon(Afleck) fails senior year so he gets to another year to come back and paddle the incoming freshman a second time. My point…JR Smith had his shot. Time for others. Or maybe Smith is Pinkford—-the thing about those highschool girls. I get older, they stay the same age——-

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, coltssb said:

You’re right. But this sure feels like when watching “Dazed and Confused” where O’Bannon(Afleck) fails senior year so he gets to another year to come back and paddle the incoming freshman a second time. My point…JR Smith had his shot. Time for others. Or maybe Smith is Pinkford—-the thing about those highschool girls. I get older, they stay the same age——-

Matthew Mcconaughey GIF

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, SYD4ND said:

I don't think anyone is against NIL or transfer portal. I think we all agree that they need strict rules and regulations. 

Caleb Williams transferring to USC next year. Needless to say they are going to be a challenge next year…

3 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

Caleb Williams transferring to USC next year. Needless to say they are going to be a challenge next year…

Yeah, they rebuilt their entire team in the portal and ND barely did a damn thing. Why did they not get a Corner to replace Clarence Lewis? Better yet, why still the #1 Corner on the depth chart? 

On 1/28/2022 at 4:43 PM, ndfanatic78 said:

You are talking about ethics there my man. There is no room for ethics in 'Merica. It's all about the mighty dollar and getting as many of them as you can and taking as many of them from others as you can. How do you think Bezos, Buffet, and Musk got so much. It wasn't thinking about should I do this or that it was just asking how do I get that other guys money into my pocket. This is the home of free market  Capitalism at its finest.

Good, then the football team can keep all of its Revenue and let the other sports fund themselves. 

On 1/28/2022 at 1:43 PM, ndfanatic78 said:

That's the world man, not just America. 

Just now, SYD4ND said:

I'd rather face him than Dart. I'm telling you Dart is a better player. 

I don’t think so, but I do think Dart will put up better numbers under Kiffin. 

Regardless, I’m very angry the staff didn’t do more with the Portal. They can take regular transfers, there’s no excuse to overlook the Portal when in many ways, it’s more valuable than recruiting. Those transfers are basically locked in once they commit, that’s not the case for HS recruits.

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

Challenge is going to be an understatement.  USC and their boosters have given Riley a blank check (No not saying the school is paying the players) to build a football factory again it seems.  They will do whatever it takes to win. Lower academic requirements for transfers and recruits. Boosters will will entice kids with great NIL deals and it will all be done in place kids will think is great place for action outside of football and school.  Pete Carol era 2.0 is what I think we are going to see. 

Time will tell if ND will go the route of the elite or just trying to do it the “right way”. Don’t want to be a pessimist but beat we can hope for is Riley is a worse coach than Freeman and can’t figure out how to utilize all that talent he is going to have. 

Outside of the anyone from the SEC the last team I want to see so well is USC. Ugh. 

Just now, ELDER06 said:

I don’t think so, but I do think Dart will put up better numbers under Kiffin. 

Regardless, I’m very angry the staff didn’t do more with the Portal. They can take regular transfers, there’s no excuse to overlook the Portal when in many ways, it’s more valuable than recruiting. Those transfers are basically locked in once they commit, that’s not the case for HS recruits.

I'm gonna disagree. And state they will get 3-5 portal guys by June. And I believe the Indiana kids are gonna be here as well. As sons of a coach can they get preferred walk on and free tuition and not count against the numbers?