NIL and Portal ruining College football

13 hours ago, Pregame said:

ND is not getting their butt kicked in NIL. Hamilton was one of the highest earners in NIL. Foskey and the Ademilolas will be high earners this year. If Buchner is as good as we hope he can be, he will blow them all out of the water. We have staff dedicated to NIL. The sky isn't falling, we're just making moves more quietly than I'm sure some people want ND to, but you better believe the coaches have a well rehearsed pitch when it comes up with recruits. 

They are getting their butt kicked from the perspective of using it as a tool to entice recruits to sign. ND is pitching the "long game", which great, whatever, not saying I don't understand it. But as I've said before, getting boosters to give high school juniors and seniors money now (getting them to commit/sign), with the "hopes" of more money later is always going to be more effective than simply the hopes of money later (which is what ND is doing). 

2 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

They are getting their butt kicked from the perspective of using it as a tool to entice recruits to sign. ND is pitching the "long game", which great, whatever, not saying I don't understand it. But as I've said before, getting boosters to give high school juniors and seniors money now (getting them to commit/sign), with the "hopes" of more money later is always going to be more effective than simply the hopes of money later (which is what ND is doing). 

We don't really know that though. The same players that some believe we "lost" due to the "aggressiveness" of schools like A&M were probably getting money under the table before NIL anyway. Hamilton was getting P-A-I-D and I am sure the coaches spoke with recruits about that very thoroughly. I think it is premature to say what teams are not competing in the NIL.... except Texas A&M doing "very well...."

28 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

We don't really know that though. The same players that some believe we "lost" due to the "aggressiveness" of schools like A&M were probably getting money under the table before NIL anyway. Hamilton was getting P-A-I-D and I am sure the coaches spoke with recruits about that very thoroughly. I think it is premature to say what teams are not competing in the NIL.... except Texas A&M doing "very well...."

And that's fair. The only evidence I have to base it on is this year's classes and the rumors of a couple of ND recruits we lost due to NIL. 

I do think, when the dust settles on the whole NIL thing, there will be rules sooner than later to reign in the direct payments to recruits. And, ND's approach will probably still be relevant and effective then as compared to what schools like A&M are doing now. 

42 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Excuse me sir! According to Jimbo that's a bunch of clowns making those statements. He's sooooo honest. He is the epitome of

stereotype of the blowhard southern guy name and all. 

Edited by SYD4ND
  • Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

@SDIrishFanuse this as a cheat sheet. Anytime a recruit (or coach talking about recruiting) talks about pitching the value of the notre dame network can be in a recruits life, go ahead and assume that NIL is part of that conversation. 

And, to repeat what has been said often, notre dame cannot and won’t directly pay players. Nor can any other school. And notre dame isn’t going to openly direct boosters to pay kids. Will they? Absolutely, but you’re not going to hear much if anything about it because ND doesn’t move like that. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Pregame said:

@SDIrishFanuse this as a cheat sheet. Anytime a recruit (or coach talking about recruiting) talks about pitching the value of the notre dame network can be in a recruits life, go ahead and assume that NIL is part of that conversation. 

And, to repeat what has been said often, notre dame cannot and won’t directly pay players. Nor can any other school. And notre dame isn’t going to openly direct boosters to pay kids. Will they? Absolutely, but you’re not going to hear much if anything about it because ND doesn’t move like that. 

Not disagreeing and I’m well aware how the payments work, in public and in private. 

2 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

And that's fair. The only evidence I have to base it on is this year's classes and the rumors of a couple of ND recruits we lost due to NIL. 

I do think, when the dust settles on the whole NIL thing, there will be rules sooner than later to reign in the direct payments to recruits. And, ND's approach will probably still be relevant and effective then as compared to what schools like A&M are doing now. 

Which recruits have you heard rejected ND because of NIL? I genuinely have not heard any names regarding that.

I agree that I believe the rules will be changed here soon, but according to the current rules, I believe, and so do many others, A&M is already violating them.

@Pregame is correct in that Notre Dame just seems to be phrasing it differently, even coming out with a quote here recently about having Notre Dame "showing" what it can do with its network