NIL and Portal ruining College football

I am sad to say that the current state of college football makes me very sad  … and I think it’s a societal and cultural shift that has made the sport so different now and chaotic.

1. Conferences need to start revenue sharing with the players - with the enormous tv contracts and money involved this seems like the logical next step…

2. The revenue sharing is tied to playing a full season - even bowl game and any “injury” will be confirmed by a conference appointed physician - this will also prevent transfers before bowl games as well.

3. Transfers outside the conference will forgo any accrued revenue paid out

4. Bowl games need to pay appearance fees to draft eligible juniors and seniors commensurate to their draft projection as stated by an agreed upon source such as PFF

5. Expand playoffs to 12 team model. Use the playoff committee and BCS formula to rank 12 teams. Make rules for conference champs to need 10 wins in order to qualify. 

6. Football needs to explore having the NFL have a minor leagues (maybe the USFL) and develop a model where players can decide in high school to go pro or college and like baseball - once you pick college you are not draft eligible until you have completed four years. 

7. Bowl games need to pay for an insurance premium to multiply the insurance payout to 5x the original policy - for high end players if they are injured in the playoffs

8. Schools who poach a coach before the end of the season will have to pay an exit fee to the former school. Regardless and in addition to the buyout if any. 

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, SYD4ND said:

I am sad to say that the current state of college football makes me very sad  … and I think it’s a societal and cultural shift that has made the sport so different now and chaotic.

1. Conferences need to start revenue sharing with the players - with the enormous tv contracts and money involved this seems like the logical next step…

2. The revenue sharing is tied to playing a full season - even bowl game and any “injury” will be confirmed by a conference appointed physician - this will also prevent transfers before bowl games as well.

4. Bowl games need to pay appearance fees to draft eligible juniors and seniors commensurate to their draft projection as stated by an agreed upon source such as PFF

5. Expand playoffs to 12 team model. Use the playoff committee and BCS formula to rank 12 teams. Make rules for conference champs to need 10 wins in order to qualify. 

6. Football needs to explore having the NFL have a minor leagues (maybe the USFL) and develop a model where players can decide in high school to go pro or college and like baseball - once you pick college you are not draft eligible until you have completed four years. 

7. Bowl games need to pay for an insurance premium to multiply the insurance payout to 5x the original policy - for high end players if they are injured in the playoffs

8. Schools who poach a coach before the end of the season will have to pay an exit fee to the former school. Regardless and in addition to the buyout if any. 

Those are great ideas. Welcome to DomerDomain. Particularly like the bolded. That way a kid who just wants to go pro can do so. Like in club soccer in Europe.

1 hour ago, SYD4ND said:

I don't like anything tied to conferences. Conferences should always be considered voluntary for each school and should never be considered required in order to compete.

• Heart 1

Welcome to DD. Love all your ideas even if I don’t not think they will be close to implemented.  I think requiring to stay four years is perfect!  We need to bring an emphasis back in the student part of college athletics.  If you can’t get into school or don’t want to choose that path then so be it. Go to the minor leagues.

Whether the academic side has always been a sham or not, the money and NIL is now just overtly throwing it the public’s face that the education that colleges are supposed to provide is just window dressing to hoarding of money and turning campuses in to glorified four year resorts.

Where are those old NCAA commercials about most student athletes not turning pro? That’s the focus the money making sports need to have. The scholarship is a tool to get an education with additional profit sharing for those athletes that are generating so much money for their institution. 

I do not mind the transfer portal, but I loath the money aspect and when they are combined, it creates free agency for non-professionals.

These are student athletes who are getting a FREE college education and a stipend for food. Is the college making money off their game, sure... so did my high school team off of me, should I have gotten "what I deserved." Sure the amount of money is different, but where is my $100 as a high school player? The school is making that profit off of me and my teammates.

Money usually ruins everything and I do not see this being any different. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Tailgate Approved said:

What is being ruined? Why does it make you sad?

The atmosphere of college football which makes it different than NFL. Now, there is really no difference. It may not affect you, but it bothers a lot of people for that very reason, myself included. People are getting too entitled these days. A FREE college education was what they "deserved."

Loyalty, commitment, school spirit... all out the window when money gets involved and we are talking about young adults who can be EASILY influenced by $$$.

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, Tailgate Approved said:

@NDhoosier Thanks for the explanation of how you feel. The environment is certainly different, and money does change things. Although I fail to understand why this bothers you, I do feel for you that the changes are affecting your enjoyment. 

same reason why I, and many others, have severely reduced our intake of watching NFL. They see it as a business too much and your favorite player on your favorite team doesnt stay for more than 3 years.

I value different things than the people who say "let the kids get a piece of the pie." I thought they already got a good deal and this NIL stuff is already getting out of hand with A&M disregarding the rules and intent of NIL. Schools are not allowed to facilitate the NIL deals, but they spent $30million to INCENTIVIZE recruits to go to A&M....

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

The atmosphere of college football which makes it different than NFL. Now, there is really no difference. It may not affect you, but it bothers a lot of people for that very reason, myself included. People are getting too entitled these days. A FREE college education was what they "deserved."

Loyalty, commitment, school spirit... all out the window when money gets involved and we are talking about young adults who can be EASILY influenced by $$$.

We live in America a country totally dominated by capitalism. $$$ heavily influences all of us. If you have a limited time to take advantage of your God given athletic gifts and might never play a down in the NFL then you should take advantage of that. It was wrong for the NCAA and the football powers to deny the players for as long as they have. Hell many didn't even get healthcare for chronic injuries incurred when playing for those universities post career. 

4 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

same reason why I, and many others, have severely reduced our intake of watching NFL. They see it as a business too much and your favorite player on your favorite team doesnt stay for more than 3 years.

I value different things than the people who say "let the kids get a piece of the pie." I thought they already got a good deal and this NIL stuff is already getting out of hand with A&M disregarding the rules and intent of NIL. Schools are not allowed to facilitate the NIL deals, but they spent $30million to INCENTIVIZE recruits to go to A&M....

A&M didn't pay it the boosters did. It's a important distinction whether you think it is ethical or not. The university did not spend anything the boosters did.

1 minute ago, ndfanatic78 said:

We live in America a country totally dominated by capitalism. $$$ heavily influences all of us. If you have a limited time to take advantage of your God given athletic gifts and might never play a down in the NFL then you should take advantage of that. It was wrong for the NCAA and the football powers to deny the players for as long as they have. Hell many didn't even get healthcare for chronic injuries incurred when playing for those universities post career. 

I get this is a football board but the money dominating all aspect of our society is getting to be a real problem.  I love capitalism as much as the next person but it’s all consuming for too many.  I agree with loyalty, commitment, and school spirit are all out the window it seems. 

At this point I’d be fine if ND and the service academies all joined the lower level athletics and kept the sport pure. 

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

I get this is a football board but the money dominating all aspect of our society is getting to be a real problem.  I love capitalism as much as the next person but it’s all consuming for too many.  I agree with loyalty, commitment, and school spirit are all out the window it seems. 

At this point I’d be fine if ND and the service academies all joined the lower level athletics and kept the sport pure. 

I get your point and I am not a proponent of any ism but actual solutions to solve problems. With that said, and this being a football board, until things change you need to make all the money you can while you can to make sure you can take care of yourself and your loved ones while you can. Thats why I will never begrudge and will actually encourage any kid with god gifted talent to make every cent they can while they have the ability to be a marketable commodity because it can all end tomorrow and its expensive dealing with health costs, raising kids, sustaining housing, securing yourself and your property, and making sure that your loved ones are taken care of. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

A&M didn't pay it the boosters did. It's a important distinction whether you think it is ethical or not. The university did not spend anything the boosters did.

Jimbo Fisher isnt abiding by that, from his own words depending on what articles you read.

4 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Jimbo Fisher isnt abiding by that, from his own words depending on what articles you read.

Sounds as if the boosters who set up the shell companies for NIL are probably at least a little smarter than Jimbo so I can understand if Jimbo does not always make the distinction about the exact setup when talking. 

• Heart 2

So, where does this NIL stuff really stop?  Does anyone here really know?

Universities try to identify great players at an early age.  The have offered scholarships to 8th graders, for instance.  It used to be verboten for boosters to have any contact with potential recruits.  Is it now legal, either with or without NCAA approval and regulatory oversight, for a booster to contact an 8th grader or a 10th grader?   While a child under 18 may not be able to legally sign a contract, a parent sure could.  Custodial arrangements could may get messy.  A child of divorce whose father lives in Florida while the child and mother live in Georgia could have problems if the father can now sign a contract for the kid.  Will an 8th grader who is offered a scholarship by Texas A&M now be eligible for NIL and beset with wondrous offerings for their own LLC through Aggie-land?

Edited by AnTostal

No parent can sign a contract on behalf of an 18 year old. The parent can sign what ever they want the kid is not beholden to that. The kid can also sue. As far as a parent in another state trying to sign a contract with a kid living with th other parent that couldn’t happen because the parent the kid lives with has custody. If it’s shared custody both parents have to consent. Last at no time was it against any rules for boosters to contact kids. It was illegal for them to pay them, which still happened all the time.

15 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

So, where does this NIL stuff really stop?  Does anyone here really know? 

Of course, no one knows. This is why I don't understand the consternation over what may happen or how people may take advantage or how this may ruin the romance of college sports. We all seem to be trying to extrapolate and predict, and human predictions are often (usually?) terrible.

I have no control over any of this, and I'm not going to get upset about it.

I think the issue with what A&M is doing is more about, the intent.  And this is probably what you will see the NCAA clean up with new rules.

The intent of the NIL ruling was that universities had to allow athletes to profit off of their NIL.  And a distinction in the intent was that the NIL of an athlete had value.  NIL was so an athlete could profit while they were at the university, not as a means to get to the university.  There was talk to delay the NIL on an athlete until year 2, so they would have a year in the system and you could know if they were any good, were they playing, etc, etc.  However that didn't happen, and after the ruling I think we all expected this. What you're seeing now is NIL provided on a supposed value, which wasn't the intent but does meet the rule.

So what's next?  I think the NCAA will issue some new clarifications, guidelines, and maybe new rules.  For example, I think Year 2 is a great idea.  Then, the athlete needs to perform.  Another might be no transfers, or sit out a year.  I'm sure there's others also. 

This is an exciting time, I actually think the little guys, might actually benefit with some star power, and may help to improve their athletic departments (more ticket sales, TV, etc).  We will see,  

• Heart 1