Official: Marcus Freeman Named Next Irish Head Coach

2 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

If Fickell was a substantially better candidate, then you wait for him. 

I wonder how much the risk of fickell leaving for Ohio State factored into NDs decision. I can see the powers that be being a little gun-shy about losing a coach to LSU and then losing the next coach to Ohio State

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

There is absolutely downside, don’t fool yourself. This is a very risky hire. 

I’m with you on this being a huge risk. Have lived the long winter of Davie-Willingham-Weis, and was at ND when they hired Faust. 
I totally wanted someone with a successful head coaching record. Being a head coach is so very much more than being a DC. 
Now that it is what it is, I’m all in. Nowhere else to go. 
I’ll be extremely enthusiastic about the young guns trying to take this program to places Kelly couldn’t. I just hope they don’t do what Bob Davie did. Don’t know if anyone remembers how he tried to show the world he wasn’t Lou Holtz in his first game as head coach. Tried a bunch of bad passes and went three and out right away. Things went downhill from there. 

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

Bill Bellichick, Nick Saban, Urban Meyer

Dick Vermil, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid. All known to be nice coaches or player coaches. What are we taking about here?  Different ways to win. 
im with you, I would of waited and made sure if the best coach and did a very thorough search. But I’ll support whoever it is. 
Besides, if it does t work out in three years Fleck will be ready to make the bounce  hahaha

Listen, LSU can think they have there winner.  ND can think they finally have there winner. 
Let’s be honest here. The real winner is Mike. I mean, this board has blown up. The amount of ads I go through every couple of clicks are astounding!  Way to go Mike!

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

18 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Again, if that’s you’re take away, you’re a bad fan. Tell me how Freeman is going to surpass Kelly’s success. Don’t feed me this bullshit about him being a nicer person. That doesn’t matter.

Easy!  By winning one big game against a legit, fully healthy program. I would bet anything Freeman will accomplish this in year one or two……as a reminder Kelly lost all of them. 

But we all know you think BK was the greatest coach ever not named Saban.  Good for you. Young coaches are taking over all of football and I think MF is going to be a good one. I can’t wait to see all of your posts criticizing him over the next two years because you would rather see him fail than to actually prove you wrong that he can be better than BK and elevate the program. 

5 minutes ago, CelticImport said:

The Chicago Sun Times

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/12/1/22813230/reports-notre-dame-to-promote-marcus-freeman-to-head-coach

"The next step is elevating the 35-year-old Freeman, who would become the first Black head football coach at Notre Dame."

Uh Tyrone Willingham??

Wait, is forgetting about Tyrone Willigham an option? Because I have scars on my body from watching those teams growing up and will happily give my brain the ol scrubby scrub if that is on the table.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, CelticImport said:

The Chicago Sun Times

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/12/1/22813230/reports-notre-dame-to-promote-marcus-freeman-to-head-coach

"The next step is elevating the 35-year-old Freeman, who would become the first Black head football coach at Notre Dame."

Uh Tyrone Willingham??

In all fairness, did Ty actually coach…?

• Heart 1

32 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

That’s a lot of projection. This isn’t a movie, it’s real life. I’d rather have an asshole that wins than a nice guy who loses. 

Davie was a first-class asshole and he lost. It's not binary, you can be decent and gifted at the same time.

23 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

There is absolutely downside, don’t fool yourself. This is a very risky hire. 

No it isn’t. Not with the candidates we were looking at. If we went with Freeman over a well known established coach then yes.  But hiring him has no more risk than hiring Fickell, Campbell, Rhule, etc. All of those guys have question marks and associated risk. I would argue Freeman has less risk than the other candidates because he is already in the program, knows the players and admin, and has been intricately involved in recruiting. Any hire not named Saban or Meyer or Belichick would have risk. Fake news. 

I'm excited about Freeman, Tommy and Balis remaining on staff. I feel like it's important to retain Taylor as well. After that, I think it becomes important to bring a greybeard in for a key role, like DC, to be the grizzled, wise sage for FReesman to use as consul. Elston could possibly play that role. 

6 minutes ago, soulpatch said:

I'm excited about Freeman, Tommy and Balis remaining on staff. I feel like it's important to retain Taylor as well. After that, I think it becomes important to bring a greybeard in for a key role, like DC, to be the grizzled, wise sage for FReesman to use as consul. Elston could possibly play that role. 

I see what you did there