Fall 2021/Winter 2022 Transfer Portal watchlist

1 hour ago, Pregame said:

My philosophy, especially with grad transfers (1-2 yr guys) is is we have a scholarship and they can add a competent body at a position of need (this year- DB, WR, maybe QB), why not take them for a year? 

I am having trouble running down anything concrete, have we had any guys come to ND as grad transfers and end up getting drafted? Getting a chance to play for a team that has consistent national exposure seems like a big benefit to these guys too, not that other teams don't offer the same I suppose.

8 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

I am having trouble running down anything concrete, have we had any guys come to ND as grad transfers and end up getting drafted? Getting a chance to play for a team that has consistent national exposure seems like a big benefit to these guys too, not that other teams don't offer the same I suppose.

Good question, I believe Skowronek was drafted. Alohi Gilman was drafted but not a grad transfer. 

Nick McCloud, Cody Riggs, and now Coan all received good exposure and playing time at ND. 

58 minutes ago, golson5 said:

Rover linebacker.

We are not recruiting him at safety

Do you understand rover position is a safety/linebacker hybrid position? If not, or if you don't buy what I'm saying, I can provide plenty of stuff directly from Lea talking specifically about it. 

Guys that are in the rover stack are mostly HS safeties. Kiser, Pryor, Moala, Watts (was a FS along with WR), etc. were all safeties.

And did you catch that Kiser was playing safety just last week vs Navy?

11 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Do you understand rover position is a safety/linebacker hybrid position? If not, or if you don't buy what I'm saying, I can provide plenty of stuff directly from Lea talking specifically about it. 

Guys that are in the rover stack are mostly HS safeties. Kiser, Pryor, Moala, Watts (was a FS along with WR), etc. were all safeties.

And did you catch that Kiser was playing safety just last week vs Navy?

Rover is much much more a linebacker than safety

And he played safety against Navy. He wont be able to play that against any passing teams. Too slow footed, too big.  Hes a rover but its a linebacker that does multiple roles.

Neither can play safety full time at a high level

With the addition of Wagner, we are at 89 guys for the roster, but that is with some guys like Hamilton, Patterson, Williams, and Foskey coming back.  That does not include Davis who could also come back for a sixth year due to the Covid rule.  There are others who may not be asked back even though they have time still as a fifth/sixth year senior.  John Dirksen is listed as a guard, but has not been playing this year.  I'm doubtful that someone like that comes back.  If Davis comes back, would we also bring Austin, Lenzy, and Wilkins all back for a fifth year?  Would we bring Takacs back?  Would Flemister come back with his limited carries this year?  Was that because he was in the doghouse, injuries, or others like Diggs rising up to earn carries over him.  

3 hours ago, golson5 said:

Rover is much much more a linebacker than safety

And he played safety against Navy. He wont be able to play that against any passing teams. Too slow footed, too big.  Hes a rover but its a linebacker that does multiple roles.

Neither can play safety full time at a high level

Lea has described the Rover as a big nickel back.

Since arriving at Vandy, he has described his defense as a 4-2-5..., not 4-3-4

5 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Any chance that Lea changed to 4-2-5 from 4-3-4 to better fit the talent on his Vandy roster?

No lol.. He still uses the Rover, he just now calls it Anchor. 

Like I said, it's a hybrid role. Lea called Rover a big nickel while he was here, not when he got to Vandy. 

53 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

No lol.. He still uses the Rover, he just now calls it Anchor. 

Like I said, it's a hybrid role. Lea called Rover a big nickel while he was here, not when he got to Vandy. 

Big nickel little nickel rover or anchor. 

It doesn't matter what you call it.   It's not a safety.  

1 minute ago, golson5 said:

Big nickel little nickel rover or anchor. 

It doesn't matter what you call it.   It's not a safety.  

lol... what's a nickel back? it's not a LB.. 

Rover and Sniper are hybrid rolls. Hybrid means it's a bit of both (LB and DB).

Add in that Lea is describing his D, which includes Rover/Anchor as a 4-2-5, means 4 DL, 2 LBs, and 5 DBs.. 

I really don't care what you call it. We both know we recruited HS safeties to play Rover. I'm only interested in if we continue down that road with a Rover, or move to a Sniper, and how that position is recruited as. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 10:39 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

OK. But two of the above are starters, and the other is getting snaps now in the 2 deep. So those are 3 of the 6 two deep. And you've got 3 studs coming in. So just that, is pretty darn good, no? So we have 6 quality guys we know will be here.

But I'll bite. Let's look at the 3 upper class LBs aside from White and Pryor who may have exhausted eligibility. Let me know for each why they would leave.....

• Bo Bauer - gets a lot of snaps this year (top 3 or 4), and likely inherits starting MIKE job. That's 4 of 6 of the two deep.
  • Shayne Simon - was a co-fav to start at WILL before injury. If he leaves, it's because he's not 2-deep, and if he's not, why worry. 
  • Paul Moala - Moala was a co-fav to start at Rover or Sniper to start the season. Same deal as Simon. Why would he leave unless he's not in the 2 deep. And if he's not in the two deep, not really a big loss.

White, Simon, Moala and Pryor all are leaving.

I said we would probably lose some. We lost 4 so far.  Nothing yet from Bo