Fall 2021/Winter 2022 Transfer Portal watchlist

Figured this makes sense in the Recruiting forum. Haven’t had a chance to do any research, but I firmly believe there’s going to be a mass exodus from the following programs: Florida, Cal, and UW. Interested in seeing which players ND might have a shot at. 

• Heart 3

7 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Figured this makes sense in the Recruiting forum. Haven’t had a chance to do any research, but I firmly believe there’s going to be a mass exodus from the following programs: Florida, Cal, and UW. Interested in seeing which players ND might have a shot at. 

Very good Idea Elder Thanks!

I think our DL is fine, unless they can find a legit Edge type player.

I'd prefer not to take any LBs. We have frosh studs coming in that should fit the scheme perfectly, and I'd prefer them get as many early reps as possible. 3 guys in the top 13 at the position.... 

If anything, we need DBs. We've not recruited well at all in the secondary. And we have zero top 25 (at position) guys coming in. Need help biggly here. I'm still surprised with how mediocre we've done here. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, ELDER06 said:

IMO, they really need to bulk up on depth Defensively. I’d like to see them get 3 transfers, one at each level. However, if they can only get 1, it needs to be a DB.

We don't need dl depth. 

We need secondary help and maybe linebacker depending on who comes back

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, golson5 said:

We don't need dl depth. 

We need secondary help and maybe linebacker depending on who comes back

We're fine LB IMO. And have 3 studs coming in. 

here's the scholarship breakdown. I don't see any leaving early. * is RS. And we have several injury situations that were going to get major snaps, and they'll be back. If the incoming frosh jump a lot of guys early, I could see some defections. And not quite sure how Sniper position might become more of a thing in year 2.

Frosh                           Soph                           Jun                     Sen

LB

Prince Kollie

JD Bertrand*

Marist Liufau*

Bo Bauer

Shayne Simon

Drew White*

ROV

Xavier Watts*

Jack Kiser*

Paul Moala*

Isaiah Pryor*

51 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We're fine LB IMO. And have 3 studs coming in. 

here's the scholarship breakdown. I don't see any leaving early. * is RS. And we have several injury situations that were going to get major snaps, and they'll be back. If the incoming frosh jump a lot of guys early, I could see some defections. And not quite sure how Sniper position might become more of a thing in year 2.

Frosh                           Soph                           Jun                     Sen

LB

Prince Kollie

JD Bertrand*

Marist Liufau*

Bo Bauer

Shayne Simon

Drew White*

ROV

Xavier Watts*

Jack Kiser*

Paul Moala*

Isaiah Pryor*

I mean who knows if white bauer simon and pryor come back for a variety of reasons.  

Who knows how moala will look coming off another injury.  He might be done medically

Lot of questions with those 5

20 minutes ago, golson5 said:

I mean who knows if white bauer simon and pryor come back for a variety of reasons.  

Who knows how moala will look coming off another injury.  He might be done medically

Lot of questions with those 5

White is RS Senior who will likely be gone (short of some covid type extra year).

Why wouldn't Bo come back? He's in line to start at Mike full time with White gone.

Kiser is starting Rover, and he isn't going anywhere. He might also end up at sniper. Bertrand is a frosh and is starting WILL, why would he leave. Kollie is a frosh and is getting snaps, why would he leave.

I get there are questions about injuries, but there's no reason to think we're going to have an exodus by the guys starting right now.

40 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

White is RS Senior who will likely be gone (short of some covid type extra year).

Why wouldn't Bo come back? He's in line to start at Mike full time with White gone.

Kiser is starting Rover, and he isn't going anywhere. He might also end up at sniper. Bertrand is a frosh and is starting WILL, why would he leave. Kollie is a frosh and is getting snaps, why would he leave.

I get there are questions about injuries, but there's no reason to think we're going to have an exodus by the guys starting right now.

I didn't mention kiser bertrand or kollie

I mentioned the 5 upper classmen. We don't know yet how many of them will be back

Edited by golson5

27 minutes ago, golson5 said:

I didn't mention kiser bertrand or kollie

I mentioned the 5 upper classmen. We don't know yet how many of them will be back

OK. But two of the above are starters, and the other is getting snaps now in the 2 deep. So those are 3 of the 6 two deep. And you've got 3 studs coming in. So just that, is pretty darn good, no? So we have 6 quality guys we know will be here.

But I'll bite. Let's look at the 3 upper class LBs aside from White and Pryor who may have exhausted eligibility. Let me know for each why they would leave.....

• Bo Bauer - gets a lot of snaps this year (top 3 or 4), and likely inherits starting MIKE job. That's 4 of 6 of the two deep.
  • Shayne Simon - was a co-fav to start at WILL before injury. If he leaves, it's because he's not 2-deep, and if he's not, why worry. 
  • Paul Moala - Moala was a co-fav to start at Rover or Sniper to start the season. Same deal as Simon. Why would he leave unless he's not in the 2 deep. And if he's not in the two deep, not really a big loss.

14 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

OK. But two of the above are starters, and the other is getting snaps now in the 2 deep. So those are 3 of the 6 two deep. And you've got 3 studs coming in. So just that, is pretty darn good, no? So we have 6 quality guys we know will be here.

But I'll bite. Let's look at the 3 upper class LBs aside from White and Pryor who may have exhausted eligibility. Let me know for each why they would leave.....

• Bo Bauer - gets a lot of snaps this year (top 3 or 4), and likely inherits starting MIKE job. That's 4 of 6 of the two deep.
  • Shayne Simon - was a co-fav to start at WILL before injury. If he leaves, it's because he's not 2-deep, and if he's not, why worry. 
  • Paul Moala - Moala was a co-fav to start at Rover or Sniper to start the season. Same deal as Simon. Why would he leave unless he's not in the 2 deep. And if he's not in the two deep, not really a big loss.

And Watts is likely moving to safety in the off season.  Thats 1 less body. 

The loss of the guys you mentioned is depth. We'll be short on it if guys decide not to come back. And if they dont we will have to look in the portal 

3 hours ago, golson5 said:

And Watts is likely moving to safety in the off season.  Thats 1 less body. 

The loss of the guys you mentioned is depth. We'll be short on it if guys decide not to come back. And if they dont we will have to look in the portal 

Doubt we lose more than 3. And we have 3 coming in. Net/net zero. And Zeigler might end up LB, or at minimum the S/LB hybrid sniper. That's plenty.

5 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Doubt we lose more than 3. And we have 3 coming in. Net/net zero. And Zeigler might end up LB, or at minimum the S/LB hybrid sniper. That's plenty.

Ziegler is a LB

I dont think the staff would think net/net zero due to losing upperclassmen and replacing with frosh 

And maybe they all come back. I hace no idea. But theres a chance we lose a few 

9 minutes ago, golson5 said:

Ziegler is a LB

I dont think the staff would think net/net zero due to losing upperclassmen and replacing with frosh 

And maybe they all come back. I hace no idea. But theres a chance we lose a few 

Ziegler was listed as a S until recently on 247. Still says S on his profile. He's listed as ATH on Rivals. He lists himself on twitter and Hudl as a SS. In HS, he plays SS, Rover, and WR. 

Not sure where he ends up. If he puts on weight, perhaps LB. If not, S. The most likely spot for him though IMO is the hybrid sniper role.

And if he's a LB, then that makes 4 coming in. So net +1.

We will return 3 of our 4 biggest snap count LBs. And we'll still have depth unless there's a mass exodus which is unlikely. They you have 3 very highly rated frosh that at least a few, will likely get early snaps. 

Every year we lose vets and bring in frosh that are not near as heralded. This is simply not a big deal.

4 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Ziegler was listed as a S until recently on 247. Still says S on his profile. He's listed as ATH on Rivals. He lists himself on twitter and Hudl as a SS. In HS, he plays SS, Rover, and WR. 

Not sure where he ends up. If he puts on weight, perhaps LB. If not, S. The most likely spot for him though IMO is the hybrid sniper role.

And if he's a LB, then that makes 4 coming in. So net +1.

We will return 3 of our 4 biggest snap count LBs. And we'll still have depth unless there's a mass exodus which is unlikely. They you have 3 very highly rated frosh that at least a few, will likely get early snaps. 

Every year we lose vets and bring in frosh that are not near as heralded. This is simply not a big deal.

We are recruiting him as a linebacker,  not a safety