What were your thoughts on the Megathread instead of the chatbox?

Chat vs Megathread  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Chat vs Megathread - Which to use?

• Chatbox
    • Megathread
    • No Preference - Do what's best for the site

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm still working on figuring out what the errors being spit out by the Chatbox are, and if they can cause any issues with the site. But assuming I can get this issue resolved (hopefully in the coming week), or there is no risk of harm to the site, would you prefer to switch back to the Chatbox or would you be fine with using Megathreads?

My biased preference would be to use Megathreads, for multiple reasons. The most obvious one, in full transparency, is that since Game Days will result in the most pageviews, it should help earn a little more in ad revenue to go towards site costs. It's easier to follow-along, and this software makes it pretty easy to load additional posts as they come in, and catch up. But I can respect some might like the real-time flow.

It would also result in less site-bloat since I could remove an unofficial 3rd party plugin. And thirdly, it would be easier for moderators to feature Gameday (and other) threads in the fluid view where all forums all merged in this layout. Chatbox is something that I can enable manually.

Whichever you all vote, I'll to my best to make happen, since I know the Game Day experience is extremely important.

P.S.

image.png.3f9eb2a9a82a0dc4ed25334e213b20b5.png

2 minutes ago, SpeedsterX said:

Just being honest although I want what's best for the site, I do like the chatbox better. Immediate reactions and such but it's not a "deal breaker". Of course, we have been used to it for a long time. Can't we have ads in the chatbox?

No ads in the Chatbox (not a feature), but I'm not sure if that would work if it was an option. In such a small space, an ad in-between every 10 - 15 posts for example would probably get extremely frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback, @SpeedsterX . Obviously the best for the site is what most people want, so if it's overwhelmingly Chatbox in the votes, I'll put the time in getting it figured out with the developer if they're available & I can't get it figured out on my own.

But if it's close in voting, I'll most likely go with the megathread option. Outside of the few extra dollars (literally) it may add a month, there's also a better chance of that content getting found in Google and new visitors coming to the site.

Thanks again!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

No ads in the Chatbox (not a feature), but I'm not sure if that would work if it was an option. In such a small space, an ad in-between every 10 - 15 posts for example would probably get extremely frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback, @SpeedsterX . Obviously the best for the site is what most people want, so if it's overwhelmingly Chatbox in the votes, I'll put the time in getting it figured out with the developer if they're available & I can't get it figured out on my own.

But if it's close in voting, I'll most likely go with the megathread option. Outside of the few extra dollars (literally) it may add a month, there's also a better chance of that content getting found in Google and new visitors coming to the site.

Thanks again!

This is a great point.  Threads get archived, chat does not. 

• Heart 1

The chat box is great for real time conversations or reactions but I find myself not watching it very close because some of us are always a play or two behind. 

The MegaThread is better to not spoil for what happened for those of us on a slight delay but it is not as easy to have any quick interactions like the chat box.

BL - Do what is best for the site. Doubt many who are on chat are going to stop posting with each other on game day if you go to the thread format. 

3 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

The chat box is great for real time conversations or reactions but I find myself not watching it very close because some of us are always a play or two behind. 

The MegaThread is better to not spoil for what happened for those of us on a slight delay but it is not as easy to have any quick interactions like the chat box.

That is actually a very good point. There have been a few games where I was a full play behind some people and I could not look at the chat box.

Just now, NDhoosier said:

That is actually a very good point. There have been a few games where I was a full play behind some people and I could not look at the chat box.

This is why I stopped. Since I cut the cord to just internet my NBC/Peacock app is sometimes “two” plays behind. Nothing to do with the chat box. I actually liked it

13 hours ago, coltssb said:

This is why I stopped. Since I cut the cord to just internet my NBC/Peacock app is sometimes “two” plays behind. Nothing to do with the chat box. I actually liked it

My live cable is still a play or two behind. I voted for chat box but if megathread generates revenue it doesn't bother me to use the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your feedback & voting in the poll. 

We're going to continue to roll with gameday threads. It has been great for the health of the forums, and it played a major role in the last two weeks being the most viewed for the site since the week one game vs Florida State.

Thanks again, everyone! :lepreachaun:

On 10/26/2021 at 8:22 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

The revenue impact from the mega thread is a short term and small play. 

Agreed on the revenue impact. That may be the difference of $5 a month or so for the site, which doesn't make much of a dent in terms of costs. The longterm SEO impact, and potential to get more people into Domer Domain is a benefit I've seen the last couple weeks.

I wish there was a way to have the chat autopost in the megathread. That would be my ideal situation, to be honest.

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

Agreed on the revenue impact. That may be the difference of $5 a month or so for the site, which doesn't make much of a dent in terms of costs. The longterm SEO impact, and potential to get more people into Domer Domain is a benefit I've seen the last couple weeks.

I wish there was a way to have the chat autopost in the megathread. That would be my ideal situation, to be honest.

So you've seen a higher rate of new users (over pre-existing run rate / increase) since?

1 minute ago, OKelleyIrish said:

So you've seen a higher rate of new users (over pre-existing run rate / increase) since?

Yup, without diving too much into the analytics, new users, specifically, are up 21.36% over the last two weeks.