Update: Louis Nix has been located and is deceased

Why do you think so? Odd that two ND guys would die under suspicious circumstances. That’s not something that happens often for our school. Let’s show a little higher level thought without superficial judgment.

I had the same thought. Atkinsons too. Tough run for these kids. Nix breaks my heart. Seemed like an amazing young man. Rest in peace.

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm morbid, but I always look for closure on this stuff to figure out what happened.  Apparently, his BAC was .192 with a little THC in the system.  Seems he drove into the lake and accidentally drowned on his way to see his girlfriend.  That's just horrible...gets shot and ends up in the hospital, but doesn't die, only to have this happen...

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/louis-nix-toxicology-reports-former-nfl-player-released/BLZQWFS5WZDKDEUJSIUZTOD44A/

12 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

I guess I'm morbid, but I always look for closure on this stuff to figure out what happened.  Apparently, his BAC was .192 with a little THC in the system.  Seems he drove into the lake and accidentally drowned on his way to see his girlfriend.  That's just horrible...gets shot and ends up in the hospital, but doesn't die, only to have this happen...

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/louis-nix-toxicology-reports-former-nfl-player-released/BLZQWFS5WZDKDEUJSIUZTOD44A/

I actually appreciate you posting this. Very sad indeed. How much alcohol does it take for a man his size to have a bac that high. I’m 160 and it would take me at least 5 beers within a couple hours on an empty stomach. So sad such a wonderful man can be lost to such a preventable event.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 3:07 PM, ndfanatic78 said:

I actually appreciate you posting this. Very sad indeed. How much alcohol does it take for a man his size to have a bac that high. I’m 160 and it would take me at least 5 beers within a couple hours on an empty stomach. So sad such a wonderful man can be lost to such a preventable event.

Quick lookup on the internet (not sure of the veracity) suggest six drinks an hour for a 220 pound man to reach .08. That seems a bit high to me as I think I would be quite a bit more faded if I had six shots in an hour but it is what it is. By that math you would need about 15 drinks in an hour's time to reach .2.

I found another source that suggests that a 240 pound man would be at .16 BAC after having 10 drinks in an hour.

Long story short, it takes a hell of a lot to get to .19, especially for a big guy. 

3 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

Quick lookup on the internet (not sure of the veracity) suggest six drinks an hour for a 220 pound man to reach .08. That seems a bit high to me as I think I would be quite a bit more faded if I had six shots in an hour but it is what it is. By that math you would need about 15 drinks in an hour's time to reach .2.

I found another source that suggests that a 240 pound man would be at .16 BAC after having 10 drinks in an hour.

Long story short, it takes a hell of a lot to get to .19, especially for a big guy. 

Seems reasonable. I remember seeing something awhile back which said that I can have 5 "drinks" in first two hours of drinking and then one an hour after that and be OK to drive.

So 4-5 drinks for 220 to 240 pound person seems to equal .08. 

BTW, a drink in this context is a 12 ounce 5% beer not a pint of 9% craft beer which comes in at about 2.4 regular drinks.

Edited by jbrown_9999