Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem

Not to change the topic from Kaepernick, but why do we play the national anthem before sporting events but not before other things that are there for entertainment? Before a movie? A concert? I saw this question brought up and I'm not sure I can see a difference between those things, for most people. Obviously I'm more invested in ND football than any movie or concert, but I'm not sure what the national anthem has to do with it I guess.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with his desire to protest. My problem is doing it at the work place. Go to the local corner and stand up on your soapbox and yell social and racial injustices all you want, join local and national organizations and donate your $ and time to affect actual change.... But keep your misdirected attempts to be a relevant voice for social change out of the work place. His work place is the field.

How about doing what most of us "folks" do. You know going to work and raising your family. Seems to work for those that try it.

People raised in poverty climb out from underneath it all the time. If you are poor and you stay poor, I guess it's easier to blame a lack of opportunities than it is to blame your own lack of motivation. This country offers a bevy of support and benefits to impoverished citizens to assist them with that effort. But the desire and effort has to be there.

People raised in poverty climb out from underneath it all the time. If you are poor and you stay poor, I guess it's easier to blame a lack of opportunities than it is to blame your own lack of motivation. This country offers a bevy of support and benefits to impoverished citizens to assist them with that effort. But the desire and effort has to be there.

I'm in South Africa now and drove past this township this morning. That is what real poverty looks like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diepsloot

Yup. I'm still unsure of what he's hoping to accomplish....besides alienating himself from fans, teammates, owners, coaches.

There was a clip from a guy on the Steelers (I think) who is a former Army Ranger. He was great.....just can't remember his name to find it.

Next year when he's in the CFL maybe he'll stand for the Canadian anthem.

Yup. I'm still unsure of what he's hoping to accomplish....besides alienating himself from fans, teammates, owners, coaches.

There was a clip from a guy on the Steelers (I think) who is a former Army Ranger. He was great.....just can't remember his name to find it.

Its kinda sad that you don't know what he's trying to accomplish.

If showig disrespect for our military, anthem, flag etc is bad. Why the disrespect for our commander and chief is allowed without outrage?

If showig disrespect for our military, anthem, flag etc is bad. Why the disrespect for our commander and chief is allowed without outrage?

Because the military doesn't influence foreign policy. They just suit up and do their job. You can criticize the commander in chief because his decisions impact how our military is used.

The military, flag, anthem, and other representative symbols of our national pride and heritage should be honored if you elect to live here and cuddle under the warm blanket of freedoms and opportunities that you didn't even have to earn yourself. But, as others have pointed out, blood has been spilled so that you have the luxury of being an entitled fu(kwit.

Im not going to sit here and pretend I fully understand the landscape in the US right now. I don't. It's different up here. But I see this as an affront to everything the US represents. If anything, I'm sure this hurts the cause he believes he's helping. You want to talk about a problem with police officers, be a dipshit about it and wear socks with pigs on it wearing police hats.....oh wait, he did that. This guy is a clown who is insulting a country that has afforded him every luxury in life, placed him in the top 0.0001% of wealth for playing a game, and allows him to pull crap like this without being thrown in jail. Hes entitled to an opinion, but he has to understand the breadth of the statement he is trying to make

The only thing I can say with any degree of certainty is that if he doesn't trim that 'fro he is going to have to get some bell bottom football pants and platform cleats. I wonder if he wears a hundred gold chains with the circle and arrow under his jersey.

Ima start calling him Disco Stu.

The only thing I can say with any degree of certainty is that if he doesn't trim that 'fro he is going to have to get some bell bottom football pants and platform cleats. I wonder if he wears a hundred gold chains with the circle and arrow under his jersey.

Ima start calling him Disco Stu.

"Your fish are dead" *points to Kaepernick's platform cleats with goldfish*

"Yeah, I don't know how to get them out"

God bless the Simpsons

A foolish message...

I was on a message board a few years back and me and this guy was constantly sniping at each other. It went on for probably a year.

Finally we discovered that we each unknowing said or did something in the past the really offended the other and we have been holding it in.

My point is I look at all of this protesting and people being upset by the protest. Talk it out. Listen to each other instead of declaring one side the enemy.

The irony is not lost on me as I type this but maybe we all shouldn't have an outlet for our opinions. it's made us crazy.

He has every right to do what he wants since this great country allowed him to have this freedom. The only thing I would suggest since he seems adamant about this cause is, quit football give his money to BLM and join there cause.

You know, like Pat Tillman did. Quit football and joined the forces for something he believed in.