Police shootings - Alton Sterling

This is just a terrible situation for all involved. Regardless if the guy was truly going for a gun or not, millions hiding behind their computers would have thrown all of these officers under the bus. As has been stated multiple times already, I can't comment on what should have/should not have been done because I AM NOT A COP AND DON'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE IN THESE SITUATIONS!

That being said, would this scenario not be one where a taser would have been effective? I'm definitely not expert on them, but would it have worked?

From my understanding reading some police sites, the taser was deployed. One video from the folks in a car has what audibly sounds like two taser cycles. That was before the guy was taken to the ground. The taser is not 100% effective. Matter of fact there have been many lawsuits filed because of taser use, more specifically from multiple taser uses on an individual which resulted in death. Much like a knife, don't bring a taser to a gun fight. There is info that will be released about the events prior to the all too brief video, which will hopefully clarify things a bit more regarding the taser.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh but he was such a sweet gentle giant according to all the news agencies who are reporting. God forbid anybody wait for a complete investigation anymore before blaming the police. The media wants a war, or just to stir up drama to fill up their 24 hour news cycle.

I have no idea as to all of the facts in this case and whether or not the policemen's reaction was justified.

That said, where is the outrage that a career criminal with a history of violence was carrying a concealed handgun? In one of the interviews, his friend and owner of the convenience store, Abdullah Muflahi, freely alluded to the fact that Alton carried a gun and was not above using it. "It would have been a very big problem to pull his gun out.”

I am of the opinion that if you play with matches (i.e. illegally carry a concealed gun and allegedly point it at someone else), you might get burnt. If you want to lower the risk of bad things happening to you, then do not engage in illegal activity.

Edited by jbrown_9999

If 2 cops on top of the guy can't restrain him then maybe they aren't very good at their job. Is shooting him in the heart really necessary? It was a kill shot. Shoot him in the arm maybe if you really think it necessary to fire.

OMG! LOL SMDH! :faint2:

OMG! LOL SMDH! :faint2:

I think that guy in Minnesota was shot 4 times in the arm. He died too. If you think those are justified shootings then I'm glad I'm not a poor black guy in America.

I think that guy in Minnesota was shot 4 times in the arm. He died too. If you think those are justified shootings then I'm glad I'm not a poor black guy in America.

Being a "poor black guy in America" certainly means having entirely different life experiences than the average "middle class white guy" in America has. There can be no doubt about it. In reality, you are probably glad you're not a poor black guy in American for a number of reasons not related to any shootings.

The governor of Minnesota should never ever ever ever have gone on the record with a comment about racism before every detail and every fact is known. His comments only serve to create a safe place for him politically. They do nothing helpful in determining the facts of the case, and they substantially inflame racial tensions.

As with any video and any time there is a lot of media coverage, the facts of the case will come out independent of the yelling and screaming and posturing. The facts of this case may point to the officer having been completely wrong, and in that case he should be punished. The facts of the case may show that the officer had some justifiable reason for reacting the way he did. I do not know at this point and will not make a judgement until all the evidence, not just individual emotions, are known.

And if it wasn't justified do you wish you were a poor black guy in America?

The Baton Rouge shooting will absolutely be ruled a clean shoot.

The Minnesota shooting is still being investigated. So far we have exactly one side of the incident with the GF post shooting video. Wait and see for the other facts of that case to come out. If the officer over-reacted then he will be charged etc and he will stand trial.

Be glad you aren't a poor black male in America, because statistically speaking you are many, many times more likely to be killed by another poor black male than at the hands of the police and it's not even close. The leading cause of death among black males between 15-35 in America is murder by another black male. Another inconvenient truth this administration and the left fail to acknowledge every time an incident like this happens.

I will say I'm sure the black people would rather take a beating than being shot. That's just my guess.

I'm going to predict a couple of things are going to happen. Blacks are going to get fed up and just start firing at police at will. Even more then now. Riots are going to ensue more viciously. Random white people are going to be targets of blacks because of these shootings. Black people are going to just obey whatever the cops are saying. These are very broad generalizations but I can definitely see coming to fruition. Just my thought...

Black guy blah blah blah blah. This is not a race issue, this is a socioeconomic issue. Can we stop talking about what life would be like if we were black people or talking about what black people want or even suggesting that black people want something different from the rest of us? Pretty sure they have the same organs, bones, etc...

And news flash: I also am not interested in getting shot or beaten by the police or anyone else, I suspect a lot of non-African Americans feel the same. That's why I generally obey the law and don't act like I am somehow above the law or motherf**king Chuck Norris.

Black guy blah blah blah blah. This is not a race issue, this is a socioeconomic issue. Can we stop talking about what life would be like if we were black people or talking about what black people want or even suggesting that black people want something different from the rest of us? Pretty sure they have the same organs, bones, etc...

And news flash: I also am not interested in getting shot or beaten by the police or anyone else, I suspect a lot of non-African Americans feel the same. That's why I generally obey the law and don't act like I am somehow above the law or motherf**king Chuck Norris.

If it is not a race issue then it's an issue with trigger happy police killing people unnecessarily. I firmly believe those guys would have not been shot if they were white but there are plenty of white guys 6 feet under that have been shot and killed also for not obeying orders but often deadly force was not required.

Now what has just happened in Dallas is a race issue and BLM has a lot to answer for with their crap.

If it is not a race issue then it's an issue with trigger happy police killing people unnecessarily. I firmly believe those guys would have not been shot if they were white but there are plenty of white guys 6 feet under that have been shot and killed also for not obeying orders but often deadly force was not required.

Now what has just happened in Dallas is a race issue and BLM has a lot to answer for with their crap.

There were white, Latinos, Asian black, and other ethnicities in the crowd protesting, so not sure it is a race issue. Not even sure who the shooters were at this point, motive ect. Same way not sure until the evidence comes out about the police killing folks for no reason apparently. Need all the evidence.

There were white, Latinos, Asian black, and other ethnicities in the crowd protesting, so not sure it is a race issue. Not even sure who the shooters were at this point, motive ect. Same way not sure until the evidence comes out about the police killing folks for no reason apparently. Need all the evidence.

You are not sure it was race issue? I'd bet my left nut that this was some hyped up BLM militant followers gone off the radar.

Whatever about the 2 shootings by police nothing, absolutely nothing justifies this barbarism. if the rule of law fails then it is the beginning of the end.

This. Is. A. Race. Issue.

It doesn't matter what color person/people did the shooting.

This was a BLM rally. People protesting police shooting black men.

All colors of people are in the movement.

Their protests are about treatment of blacks.

Whoever murdered 5 Dallas police, shooting several in the back, using triangulation methods, did this as a racial protest.

This is the definition of murder.

Two policemen struggling on the ground with a man known to have a gun who is resisting despite having been tased twice, well, some like Soko will call that murder.

Sniping 12 Dallas police from parking garages IS no doubt murder.

Perpetrated and carried out because of perceived injustice against Blacks.

To suggest this may not be a race issue seems like magical thinking.

Makes me worry, at a number of levels, about what will happen in Cleveland during the Republican National Convention.

Edited by Kelly Gruene

If 2 cops on top of the guy can't restrain him then maybe they aren't very good at their job. Is shooting him in the heart really necessary? It was a kill shot. Shoot him in the arm maybe if you really think it necessary to fire.

Dude you are clueless...even with my minimal certification of PMAB from my brief time working in corrections, your assertion that one has the ability to be selective with his firearm in that or other similar physical restraints is ludicrous.

Sadly one of things I predicted came true. But Kelly Gruene is right, if we don't start figuring this out, it's going to get a lot worse. For everybody. Not only are we dealing with ISIS crazy plots, but we also have an on ongoing gun debate battle, and race issues erupting.

Not that I'm thinking it's all doom and gloom, but as a nation we need to start coming together.

I can guarantee you, that Officer was NOT "aiming" for his arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Both of those officers will be cleared of any wrong doing in the end. Justified shooting. My only question is whether the district attorney will try to pull the same BS the Baltimore DA did and is failing miserably at. If it goes to a Grand Jury and the laws, policies, and facts are presented to them, I have no doubt that the Grand Jury will just save the city money and give a No True Bill (meaning they will NOT charge the officers).

I still dont know all the facts about the Minnesota one, but the more information that keeps coming out, the worse it looks for the "girlfriend," she has already been caught changing her story twice. Who knows...

I do enjoy listening to people who have never been in a fight with someone who has a gun and has to win at all costs Monday Morning QB a video like this. "Shoot em in the arm" just proves know very little about guns and never been in actual combat.